Register now to remove this ad

Page 96 of 287 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 4302

Thread: 2020-2021 Offseason Thread

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Now for me, I just don't think the Sox have the deep farm and the players Tampa needs. Jeter Downs is an excellent trade bait and probably a guy the Sox could consider moving for a pitcher, but it won't be Snell (even if they take Kiermaier's contract). Tampa is just too flush with middle infield talent. They might not mind taking another MI but I think they would prefer a catcher, and that tells me the Dodgers (Keibert Ruiz) and the Reds (Tyler Stephenson) are both able to put together more attractive packages to acquire Snell.

I think the Sox need to target Jameson Taillon and sign two from Brad Hand, Hansel Robles and Archie Bradley. (It is possible that only one of them takes an offer from the Sox regardless of money as only one of them can close and all three might have the closer role as a priority. As it is their choice, I can't say that they will all be interested. But so far, this is just mesage board fodder)

Taillon's trade value is actually reasonable on BTV, but it is tough to gauge what player from the Sox they might want. While that site does give Downs more trade value than Taillon, it is not an unreasonable amount for a swap. And as Cherington is a notorious prospect hoarder, he might even be on board with it. Ideally, I would like to see him acquired for someone else, but not sure what Pitt needs beyond players who make little to no money. The Sox most expendable dirt cheap player is Chavis, but even with his BTV trade value actually looking reasonable at 7.5, I just don't see why any team might be interested in him.

Also, the Sox can probably fill the CF void with Ender Inciarte and get him for next to nothing. With the Braves being in the unenviable position of having Inciarte as their highest paid outfielder and not even starting, he should be extremely available from Atlanta.

That just leaves 2B (maybe?) and a LHH bench bat. And the LHH bench bat has always looked like former Bloom acquisition Brad Miller would be the perfect fit for the Sox....
    With the non-tender of Adam Duvall, Ender Inciarte might be a starting outfielder for Atlanta:

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-res...-charts/braves

Could the non-tendered Delino DeShields provide similar defense-first production as Inciarte in center field?

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/de...ts?position=OF

If the Sox are taking an unwanted contract back, Polanco is my second choice behind Ender Inciarte. Polanco is coming off a HORRIBLE season last year, but he was among the MLB leaders in one positive category - exit velocity. His main problem was making contact. Anyone with top tier exit velocity and massive strikeout problems makes me first think - time to update that contact lens prescription!
    He has another "main problem:" defense. Unless we plan on trading Beni and putting Polanco in LF, I'd rather have Kiermaier and Inciarte. So, we'd still need a CF'er. Polanco fills no current need area.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    With the non-tender of Adam Duvall, Ender Inciarte might be a starting outfielder for Atlanta:

Could the non-tendered Delino DeShields provide similar defense-first production as Inciarte in center field?

I'd be surprised if the Braves made no other moves and kept Inciarte in their starting lineup.

They have already been linked to Marcell Ozuna, who was an obvious success story for them in LF. Or they could return Austin Riley to LF. And they still hjave top prospect Drew Waters. Inciarte's main contribution is CF defense, which they already have covered with the much cheaper Christian Pache, who saw more playing time than Inciarte in the post-season. Nick Markakis was also starting over Inciarte throughout the entire post-season.

The fact that Inciarte saw 0 plate appearances in the entire 2020 post-season might be a very strong indication of his future role with that team, if he has one at all. I actually strongly suspect they will try to bring Duvall back. He clearly worked out for them. But they will try to get Duvall back for much less than his $7.1mill projected salary (per MLBTR).

but for the one team that has been actively signing players and going for it, I do have my very strong doubts about an Inciarte-Pache-Acuna outfield...
    Last edited by notin; 12-03-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Deity

DeShields is a pretty underrated player who seems to struggle to find a home every year, but he is not a bad candidate for any team looking for a CF, and he will be MUCH less expensive than Inciarte.

If I has to pick a move by the Braves, one guy who just seems like a perfect fit for them is Eddie Rosario...

What time window are the most moves expected to happen?

It seems like a slow start to the off season.
    Sox 4 Ever

IDK, I'm just not a big fan of DeShields. A speed guy who has never had 30 steals in a season? Pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s88r_q7oufE

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    IDK, I'm just not a big fan of DeShields. A speed guy who has never had 30 steals in a season? Pass.
    The career .326 OBP doesn't help, but he's never been given more than 440 PAs in any season. His 162 game average is 31 SBs.

His OBP the last 3 years has dipped to .317 (BA .236), but he has averaged 30+ SB's per 600 PAs over this time period.

His career UZR/150 in CF is just +1.5. With his speed, you'd expect better.

If we decided to platoon him (.717 v LHP and .640 v RHP), you kind of lose the SB advantage as he steals less bases vs lefties.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 12-03-2020 at 10:48 AM.
    Sox 4 Ever

The career .326 OBP doesn't help, but he's never been given more than 440 PAs in any season. His 162 game average is 31 SBs.

His OBP the last 3 years has dipped to .317 (BA .236), but he has averaged 30+ SB's per 600 PAs over this time period.

If we decided to platoon him (.717 v LHP and .640 v RHP), you kind of lose the SB advantage as he steals less bases vs lefties.
    But because he's a guy who isn't good enough to get 600 AB's, he'll never get to 30 in a season for real.

Deity

He's just a cheap glove out there, but if that is the plan the other cheap glove options like Almora, Dyson and Marisnick are not exactly more exciting.

The most intriguing free agent position appears to be the corner OF market, with Ozuna, Rosario, Dahl, Schwarber, Renfroe and Puig. If the Sox plan to move Benintendi to CF, they will definitely be able to get increased production in LF with these players, all of whom are very likely to sign for less than Springer. Of course, that leaves CF as a question mark, and might require another RHH cheap glove to help Benintendi...

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    But because he's a guy who isn't good enough to get 600 AB's, he'll never get to 30 in a season for real.
    Very true, but he is guy who steals bases at an over 30 per 600 PA rate.
    Sox 4 Ever

He's just a cheap glove out there, but if that is the plan the other cheap glove options like Almora, Dyson and Marisnick are not exactly more exciting.

The most intriguing free agent position appears to be the corner OF market, with Ozuna, Rosario, Dahl, Schwarber, Renfroe and Puig. If the Sox plan to move Benintendi to CF, they will definitely be able to get increased production in LF with these players, all of whom are very likely to sign for less than Springer. Of course, that leaves CF as a question mark, and might require another RHH cheap glove to help Benintendi...
    I'd rather trade Beni, despite his stock being at an all time low, than move him to CF.

I'd rather add a RF'er and move Verdugo to CF than Beni.

I'd rather sign a .600 OPS CF'er who plays great D than move Beni to CF.

Are you seeing a pattern in my opinions?
    Sox 4 Ever

Compared to what, though? The last two offseasons were glacially slow.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    I'd rather trade Beni, despite his stock being at an all time low, than move him to CF.

I'd rather add a RF'er and move Verdugo to CF than Beni.

I'd rather sign a .600 OPS CF'er who plays great D than move Beni to CF.

Are you seeing a pattern in my opinions?
    I can agree it is not the optimum move. He was drafted as a CF, but was obviously moef to LF for a reason. and it was not due to the logjam the Sox had in CF, since they were trying anyone and everyone out there (Bradley, Betts, Castillo).

But on the other hand, if the Sox had a good defensive LF and put Benintendi between to good outfielders, it would lessen his impact. and if he was coupled with a RHH platoon option/defensive replacement, it would help even more. Someone like Almora or Marisnick, for example.

Or the Sox could sign one of the rifle-armed RF options like Puig, Eaton or Renfroe and slide Verdugo into CF. Still, if Benintendi does not turn something around, is he still a full time option in LF? Or is he a lesser version of Joc Pederson?

Should the Sox look into a platoon partner for Benintedi, regardless of where he plays?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Compared to what, though? The last two offseasons were glacially slow.
    I'm still waiting for Dombrowski to make moves from the 2019 off-season...