Register now to remove this ad

Page 263 of 287 FirstFirst ... 163213253261262263264265273 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,945 of 4302

Thread: 2020-2021 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I think it was the opening in their rotation that did the trick.
    Their offer of $2.5 million might have been the highest too.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Their offer of $2.5 million might have been the highest too.
    He could either be a big bargain or just a guy who never makes it out of Spring Training. He's averaged 15 starts the past 6 years and only 84 innings. If anyone is a low risk/high reward guy, it might be him.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    He could either be a big bargain or just a guy who never makes it out of Spring Training. He's averaged 15 starts the past 6 years and only 84 innings. If anyone is a low risk/high reward guy, it might be him.
    Agreed, and even if he gives only 80 IP, $2.5M might be a bargain.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Agreed, and even if he gives only 80 IP, $2.5M might be a bargain.
    Yeah, I typically don't believe in the term "low risk/high reward" but this might be one of the rare cases.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Is Bradley going to be this season’s Kimbrel — signing after the season begins?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Is Bradley going to be this season’s Kimbrel — signing after the season begins?
    JP Morosi said today that Cora and the Red Sox expect that this could be Duran's breakout year. Duran played winter ball in Puerto Rico and impressed Cora. Morosi said Sox are comparing Duran to Jacoby Ellsbury. If what Morosi said is true and accurately describes the Red Sox and Cora's opinion what does that mean for JBJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    JP Morosi said today that Cora and the Red Sox expect that this could be Duran's breakout year. Duran played winter ball in Puerto Rico and impressed Cora. Morosi said Sox are comparing Duran to Jacoby Ellsbury. If what Morosi said is true and accurately describes the Red Sox and Cora's opinion what does that mean for JBJ?
    Duran may well be the centerfielder of the future , but I don't know about right now. JBJ has the best , albeit most despised , agent in the business. I think he will wind up with a decent deal . I don't know what Bloom is planning other than " building the farm." Give JBJ a fair two year offer , Chaim. Try to keep at least some semblance of the good times.

Might be just talk to boost the kid's confidence, but if they meant what they said, I hope they are right.

Cordero as the "fall back" is pretty sketchy.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Duran may well be the centerfielder of the future , but I don't know about right now. JBJ has the best , albeit most despised , agent in the business. I think he will wind up with a decent deal . I don't know what Bloom is planning other than " building the farm." Give JBJ a fair two year offer , Chaim. Try to keep at least some semblance of the good times.
    Three years ago today Scott Boras client J.D. Martinez signed a five-year, $110 contract with the Red Sox.

MLB Trade Rumors had predicted Martinez with a six-year, $150 million contract:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...edictions.html

Why sign JBJ at all if Bloom and Cora actually believe that Duran is to have a break out year. According to Morosi Cora saw Duran in the PR winter league. So presumely he is in the best situation to determine whether Duran is ML ready. Of course this all depends on Morosi accurately reporting Cora's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Three years ago today Scott Boras client J.D. Martinez signed a five-year, $110 contract with the Red Sox.

MLB Trade Rumors had predicted Martinez with a six-year, $150 million contract:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...edictions.html
    They sure got Moose wrong.

With all due respect to Cora , I don't think a few games in the P.R. Winter League is a good test for being the Red Sox centerfielder. I will repeat it again. We went from being the best team ever assembled in 2018 to the A.L. East basement two years later. So , I am not yet confident in Bloom and his plan. Why not sign JBJ and let Duran show what he can do in AAA ? We have already gotten rid of too many from the championship team.

Legend
    Might be just talk to boost the kid's confidence, but if they meant what they said, I hope they are right.

Cordero as the "fall back" is pretty sketchy.
    I've been hoping Duran will pan out better than some defense only CF in his declining years. We shall soon see whether he becomes the regular CF coming out of ST.

With all due respect to Cora , I don't think a few games in the P.R. Winter League is a good test for being the Red Sox centerfielder. I will repeat it again. We went from being the best team ever assembled in 2018 to the A.L. East basement two years later. So , I am not yet confident in Bloom and his plan. Why not sign JBJ and let Duran show what he can do in AAA ? We have already gotten rid of too many from the championship team.
    I think the only question is if Morosi is accurately reporting Cora and the Red Sox's opinion. JBJ is not the future. JBJ in center field will not substantially change the Red Sox's playoff possibilities. But, a young ballplayer having a true breakout season in center field while not guaranteeing a playoff run will increase the chance of that happening. Moreover I know what we are going to get with JBJ. If I have to suffer through a 500 season I want to see a young player who has potential to thrill with the possibility of having that breakout season that Morosi says the Red Sox believe is a possibility.

Deity
    I think the only question is if Morosi is accurately reporting Cora and the Red Sox's opinion. JBJ is not the future. JBJ in center field will not substantially change the Red Sox's playoff possibilities. But, a young ballplayer having a true breakout season in center field while not guaranteeing a playoff run will increase the chance of that happening. Moreover I know what we are going to get with JBJ. If I have to suffer through a 500 season I want to see a young player who has potential to thrill with the possibility of having that breakout season that Morosi says the Red Sox believe is a possibility.
    There is no truth that a younger untried player increases the Sox chances of making the post-season more than adding Bradley does. Even if said younger player, whom I presume is Duran, has a true breakout season, which is the strawman portion of the point...