Register now to remove this ad

Page 164 of 287 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174214264 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 4302

Thread: 2020-2021 Offseason Thread

Yates is apparently close to signing with one of five unnamed teams.

He wanted $5M+ and incentives that could reach "millions" more, according to MLBTR.

FA options are starting to dry up, although plenty useful players still remain. In terms of making a major addition, I'm wondering if Bloom is focusing on trades more than a signing(s).
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Yates is apparently close to signing with one of five unnamed teams.

He wanted $5M+ and incentives that could reach "millions" more, according to MLBTR.

FA options are starting to dry up, although plenty useful players still remain. In terms of making a major addition, I'm wondering if Bloom is focusing on trades more than a signing(s).
    How many players besides Kluber was Bloom really in on that went on to sign with other MLB teams?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    How many players besides Kluber was Bloom really in on that went on to sign with other MLB teams?
    Maybe 2-4 players?

He may be only planning on signing 1-3 and trading for 1-3. I'm sure he has a few plan B's he's content with.

If we miss out on Odorizzi, Yates and Hand, I'll be more worried, but maybe a couple big trades are in the works.

Maybe, I'm totally wrong and all we do is something like what we did, last winter.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Maybe 2-4 players?

He may be only planning on signing 1-3 and trading for 1-3. I'm sure he has a few plan B's he's content with.

If we miss out on Odorizzi, Yates and Hand, I'll be more worried, but maybe a couple big trades are in the works.

Maybe, I'm totally wrong and all we do is something like what we did, last winter.

I am not sure I can name any. Sugano did not sign with another team. He bailed on Kim prematurely.

Odorizzi and Semien have yet to sign anywhere. And anyone else we have no idea if or if not there was anything above cursory interest and/or due diligence. So far, Kluber looks like the real first target that he "lost out" on...

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I have faith in my instincts and I hope I'm proven wrong. The Red Sox have too many question marks right now, and while there should be some periods at the end of a few sentences, I doubt we'll see one exclamation point before Opening Day.
    We do have some question marks. I believe that most of those questions marks will be answered before the start of the season!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    We do have some question marks. I believe that most of those questions marks will be answered before the start of the season!!!
    Ha -- three +++ In the meantime...

Red Sox, Martín Perez Nearing Deal

By TC Zencka | January 16, 2021 at 4:41pm CDT
    The Red Sox are close to bring back southpaw Martín Perez, per the Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal.
    Start printing the playoff tickets.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Elsewise, Boston continues to look for arms to add to the rotation mix. Garrett Richards and Matt Moore are two names they’ve looked into recently, per Cotillo. Richards will make sense on a lot of teams now that he appears fully recovered from Tommy John surgery. He posted a 4.03 ERA/4.28 FIP in 51 1/3 innings for the Padres in 2020, with 10 starts, a 21.6 percent strikeout rate, 8.0 percent walk rate, and 40.1 percent groundball rate.
    We really do need a vomit emoji.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Not sure why Bloom likes Martin Perez. He's not horrible, but not exactly what we need, either.

Not sure why Bloom likes Martin Perez. He's not horrible, but not exactly what we need, either.
    I'm never onboard with building a rotation from the 4 or 5 slot, but since this can be just a 1 year deal, it's just a punt. As long as we sign someone like Odorizzi (and I'm not sure of who else is "like" him), I'm fine with Perez as depth.

Or a punt emoji.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Perez is a body who can fill a rotation slot and not vomit all over himself every time he goes the slab.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Perez is a body who can fill a rotation slot and not vomit all over himself every time he goes the slab.
    He vomits on himself only every third start.

While Perez isn't quite an innings-eater, he's not an innings-bulimic, either. Martin is more like an innings-acid reflexor (his, yours, mine...). How many more months before we can all sit back and watch games again, with a cold one and a Pepcid?

Legend
    From today's MLB Trade Rumors chat with columnist Mark Polishuk:

Trade Prediction
    1:17
    Sox trade Benintendi to Mariners for Justin Dunn. Yes or no?

Mark P
    1:18
    Mariners aren't doing that. Doesn't make much sense from their end.
    https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-9686.html

This Seattle fan holds in high regard 25-year-old righthander Justin Dunn, the Boston College product who last season posted an ERA of 4.34 in 10 starts.

Still, the Mariners should probably trade five years of Dunn for two years of Andrew Benintendi.
    Last edited by harmony; 01-16-2021 at 08:31 PM.