Register now to remove this ad

Page 165 of 287 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 4302

Thread: 2020-2021 Offseason Thread

WOW! And to think, it was only by getting rid of Mookie that we are even in a position to make these fantastic deals!!!
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    WOW! And to think, it was only by getting rid of Mookie that we are even in a position to make these fantastic deals!!!
    At some point, they do have to justify the whole "reset" thing...

That was certainly part of the advantage to trading Betts. So far, we've not seen it.
    Sox 4 Ever

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    That was certainly part of the advantage to trading Betts. So far, we've not seen it.
    Have patience. Perez was added and we will probably sign another starter very soon. Yes the BP needs help and there are still CF, possibly LF and 2nd base to deal with. I don't believe this is the year to compete at the highest level, but I do expect a much more competitive team.

The surest way to make a team competitive is to add quality starting pitchers on the mound. This is no mystery, and no modern stats can supersede the history of the past 120 years.

Trading prospects for a guy like Pedro or Sale in his prime or signing a guy like Scherzer or Bauer in his prime should be the goal of every able baseball organization. Top starters can make a bad team relevant, and a good team contenders. No matter what, an ace sells more tickets, providing the club with more profit to invest in more talent to make the roster even better.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    The surest way to make a team competitive is to add quality starting pitchers on the mound. This is no mystery, and no modern stats can supersede the history of the past 120 years.

Trading prospects for a guy like Pedro or Sale in his prime or signing a guy like Scherzer or Bauer in his prime should be the goal of every able baseball organization. Top starters can make a bad team relevant, and a good team contenders. No matter what, an ace sells more tickets, providing the club with more profit to invest in more talent to make the roster even better.
    The last place 2012 Red Sox added only Ryan Dempster to the rotation. Does that count in the history?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The last place 2012 Red Sox added only Ryan Dempster to the rotation. Does that count in the history?
    There are always exceptions, and the 2013 Red Sox were virtually a unicorn.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Sure does, and if you want you can probably find a handful of exceptions to the norm, maybe even five worsts to firsts out of hundreds of division winners, pennant winners and ring winners. Some of them even began the season with three other All-Star starters and added a closer who had a better season than any in Mariano Rivera's unanimous Hall of Fame career.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Sure does, and if you want you can probably find a handful of exceptions to the norm, maybe even five worsts to firsts out of hundreds of division winners, pennant winners and ring winners. Some of them even began the season with three other All-Star starters and added a closer who had a better season than any in Mariano Rivera's unanimous Hall of Fame career.
    That’s the funny thing.

Most of us did not think Lackey coming back would be good. And really, until the post season, he wasn’t. Buchholz was amazing - probably his best year. But he was part of last place in2012.

You’re right in the biggest addition to that 2013 team was Uehara. But he was not a starter, which is what your point was...
    Last edited by notin; 01-17-2021 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Have patience. Perez was added and we will probably sign another starter very soon. Yes the BP needs help and there are still CF, possibly LF and 2nd base to deal with. I don't believe this is the year to compete at the highest level, but I do expect a much more competitive team.
    I love Verdugo, but Mookie Betts is gone so we can pass on Kluber and re-sign Perez? I don't get it. At any rate, if we don't get a closer, we won't be competitive.

Not sure why Bloom likes Martin Perez. He's not horrible, but not exactly what we need, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm never onboard with building a rotation from the 4 or 5 slot, but since this can be just a 1 year deal, it's just a punt. As long as we sign someone like Odorizzi (and I'm not sure of who else is "like" him), I'm fine with Perez as depth.
    I said several times last season that, given our need for pitching, picking up Perez' option was a no brainer. I was surprised when the Sox declined the option. I have to remember that Bloom actually knows what he is doing.

Perez is not a game changer. Nor is he Bloom's big pitching move. He is more of a depth move who should keep the team in most games that he starts.

I think it's a good move. Now on to bigger and better things.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    I love Verdugo, but Mookie Betts is gone so we can pass on Kluber and re-sign Perez? I don't get it. At any rate, if we don't get a closer, we won't be competitive.
    The only market that is actually moving is the closer/reliever market. That’s one Bloom needs to do something in quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Or a punt emoji.
    Et tu, Bell?

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    ^^^More exclamation points!!!

The excitement is building!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Et tu, Bell?
    Sorry, Kimmi, the Perez signing has had kind of a depressing effect on me. I still have hopes, but I'm scratching my head on what the plan is.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.