Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: R.I.P. Bob Gibson

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I believe Ted Williams also lost a batting title to Geroge Kell that way, which cost Ted a Triple Crown,,,
    Carl Yastrzemski won the Triple Crown in 1967 after entering the final day of the season tied with Harmon Killebrew for league lead in home runs.

Yaz homered in the seventh inning and Killebrew in the ninth, leaving Yaz as the first Triple Crown winner since Joe Medwick in 1937 to fail to lead his league outright in batting average, home runs and runs batted in.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...96709300.shtml

The Red Sox overcame a one-game deficit in the final weekend of the 1967 season by sweeping the Minnesota Twins at Fenway Park. A then-young Twins fan has yet to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    OMG I've only ever dreamed about that kind of world. Sign me up.
    Here’s a stat from Gibson’s 1968 season that will blow your mind:

He started 34 games that year, completing 28 of them (with 13 shutouts). In each of the 6 games he did not complete, he was removed for a pinch hitter. He never came out of a game from the mound all season (I think had manager Red Schoendienst tried, Gibson might have killed him).

One I read the other day; in his final appearance in 1975 (he was in the bull pen at that point), Gibson was brought in with the bases loaded. He got the first 2 hitters and then gave up a grand slam to Pete LaCock (son of game show host Peter Marshall). 15 years later in an old timers game in Kansas City, Gibson faced LaCock and drilled him.

I saw him pitch once at Shea Stadium in the early 70s. IIRC, Willie Mays was with the Mets at that point.
    Last edited by illinoisredsox; 10-04-2020 at 11:04 PM.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post

He started 34 games that year, completing 28 of them (with 13 shutouts). In each of the 6 games he did not complete, he was removed for a pinch hitter. He never came out of a game from the mound all season (I think had manager Red Schoendienst tried, Gibson might have killed him).

One I read the other day; in his final appearance in 1975 (he was in the bull pen at that point), Gibson was brought in with the bases loaded. He got the first 2 hitters and then gave up a grand slam to Pete LaCock (son of game show host Peter Marshall). 15 years later in an old timers game in Kansas City, Gibson faced LaCock and drilled him.

I saw him pitch once at Shea Stadium in the early 70s. IIRC, Willie Mays was with the Mets at that point.
    An embellished story. Gibson started the inning and loaded the bases himself and was charged with 5 ER in 1 IP.

He did give up a grand slam to Pete LaCock that inning.

I’ll assume the Old Timers day story is true...

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post

As I've already posted, this is the kind of pitcher we need in today's game. We need pitchers who can intimidate.