Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloom Don’t mess this hire up and don’t drag your feet .Cora is our guy !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Cora could have shown even more integrity by not being Houston's ringleader. He could have chosen not to participate, and even blown the whistle.

As for giving up sports, fine with me. Being quarantined pretty much did that for me already. I watched maybe 3 Red Sox games this year.
    Really? I think COVID increased my sports watching! (although yes, it pretty much eliminated my sports participation). I was desperate--watching Metopera.org every night. Which was fine. But nothing compared to listening to Joe Castiglione's mellifluous voice or watching Eck on stage.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Really? I think COVID increased my sports watching! (although yes, it pretty much eliminated my sports participation). I was desperate--watching Metopera.org every night. Which was fine. But nothing compared to listening to Joe Castiglione's mellifluous voice or watching Eck on stage.
    Nah. I got so used to watching other stuff that when sports came back, I really didn't care. Still watch football on the weekends, and I still am interested in playing whatever sports I can find, but I'm much less inclined to watch a game just because it's on.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Not really. Almost every Beatles song is better than their best one.
    Fine. I wanted to go wqith Head East, but how many know that song?

But those who do know it is one of the best...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Dick Williams likely won't be coming through that door anytime soon.
    True, but only because he passed away 9 years ago...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Not that it makes it right or okay, but yes, cheating is so widespread in baseball that if you're going to quit rooting for a team because they rehire Cora, then you would pretty much have to quit rooting for any team. Cora and the Astros are not the only team who are guilty of sign stealing. Every team does it to some extent. That doesn't even take into account other forms of cheating going on.
    But there i a difference between accepting that cheating is widespread and overtly condoning the activity by hiring a known offender.

But baseball fans are very fickle when it comes to cheating. With steroids? Suspicion is enough!! But throw a few spitballs? OK. Admit throwing spitters? That's ok too. tThrow tons of spitballs and admit it and win 300 games, get elected to the Hall of Fame and go on to write an autobioghraphy where you not only admit you used the spitball in the title of the book, but you give it top billing over yourself? Yea, fans are cool with that...

Cora cheated. He got caught . He paid the penalty . It was a one year suspension . He did not get , nor did he deserve , a lifetime ban. He has every right to manage again . That should not be an issue . I do think he would be a good choice to guide the current group of Red Sox. Go for it Bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Lock Cora in NOW .I demand it !!!!!!! I will Haunt you .
    You can’t sign him right now. He’s banned for the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Anyone who still believes Alex Cora was "ringleader", just because that's the convenient synonym Manfred used for "scapegoat", stopped reading and listening -- or chooses to ignore -- subsequent accounts of other people who were involved and employed by the Astros in 2017. The system was formulated by the Houston organization before Cora was hired there. Yes, he was complicit -- just like every other team's coach, manager, GM, analytics analyzer, clubhouse clubby, and ballplayer who did, do and will always try to steal signs.

The fact that teams have already expressed interest in Cora before his suspension is even over shows how the industry truly views the so-called "scandal" (which the MLB felt forced to address, only because of an article in The Athletic). It also speaks volumes to Cora's regard as a baseball manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Cheating? Or trying to gain a competitive edge?
    They cheated with the IFA signings years back and lost a signing season.

Call it what you want, but it's cheating.

The other incidents have more gray area involved.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Dick Williams likely won't be coming through that door anytime soon.
    I have no problem with anyone calling Tito or Williams the "best ever." Williams took a team that was horrific for several years before 1967 to a very near WS victory. He put the Sox back on the map. We've been "relevant" ever since.

Tito was fantastic- no doubt. Unfortunately, he had some personal issues that caused him to lose control of an excellent team on paper (better than the 1967 team and others). I hated to see him go, but it had to be done. I can understand those who don't hold any of that against him, or who feel it doesn't take him down enough to make anyone else close to passing him as the GOAT Sox manager. It's hard to argue against that.

One could say Cora lost control of the 2019 team that was great on paper, too, and that he only had one great year and one ring as compared to several great years under Tito.I get that point and can't counter it with anything statistical. (Imagine that! LOL)

I still think Cora is the best we've ever had. I like his style, philosophy and knowledge of the game. I don't really hold the cheating at Houston against him. He wasn't the mastermind or the head honcho there. It's a blight on his resume, but as a manager, he's a great one.

Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    But there i a difference between accepting that cheating is widespread and overtly condoning the activity by hiring a known offender.

But baseball fans are very fickle when it comes to cheating. With steroids? Suspicion is enough!! But throw a few spitballs? OK. Admit throwing spitters? That's ok too. tThrow tons of spitballs and admit it and win 300 games, get elected to the Hall of Fame and go on to write an autobioghraphy where you not only admit you used the spitball in the title of the book, but you give it top billing over yourself? Yea, fans are cool with that...
    That is a fair point. But as many people said to me when I had a hard time embracing Chavis and his PEDs use, he served his punishment and should be given a second chance. Cora served his punishment. He should be given a second chance.

I find it significant that Merloni recently called Cora the best man for the job because of his big influence on the development of Devers, ERod and Bogaerts becoming star players.

I think giving Cora a 1 year deal is the right way to go.

If the year continues to be a shit show, I go with Ben Affleck.

He has made a comeback with a decent sports movie, and deserves a shot?

Besides.... In his last appearance at Fenway, it's fair to say that he was wasted. I think he can do much better?
    RedSoxDirtdog 19
    Calm down. I've been tamed.

No way. Bloom will hire someone from TB. He isn’t going to go back to the Sox past, especially with a cheater.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    True, but only because he passed away 9 years ago...
    I wonder if I already knew that before I made the post.