Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox 2021 payroll thread

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    He's got one more year left. If he comes back and shows his prior ability, he will be really expensive.
    That's a huge "if."

If he does, you try to extend him during the year or give him the QO after.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Legend
    Okay, $38M to spend- maybe $58M, if Henry allows us to go over the first limit by $19.9M- doubtful, but possible, especially if we are in the race in July and need a couple expensive pieces.

It might be a tough pill to swallow trading some big contracts and paying part of the deal, like with Price, but maybe a deal like last winter's suggested Price for Myers type deal might work.

Eovaldi for Odor plus a cheap but decent player would cost the Rangers $5M more but save us $9M on the tax budget. (Just an example of the type of move that may be sought.)

Here's some possible budget cutting choices:

Non tender ...
    $8.5-$10.5M ERod
    $3-3.5M Peraza
    $1M Godley
    $1M Brasier
    $1M Covey
    (I think we keep $4M Barnes, $1.5M Plawecki & $1M Pivetta)
    Letting some of all go could "save" $10-17M, but then we have more slots to fill.)

Sale $25M will not be traded, at least until he shows he's back.
    JD $22M may be dealt in the summer, if we are out of it, but it's doubtful we trade him this winter, unless we pay some or take back salary.
    Beni $5M could be traded, but his stock is low.
    Vaz $4.4M could be dealt, but adequately filling a catcher hole usually costs more than that in money or asset value.

My guess at the top trade probabilities are:

1. Barnes
    2. Eovaldi
    3. Beni
    4. JD
    5. Vaz

(We could sign ERod & trade him. If we can sign and get something for Brasier, Peraza, Godley, Covey or Brice, sure.)

I wouldn't be surprised if we trade none of these guys, but I think we will.
    Bogey $20M, Pedey $14M or Perez $6,3M will not be dealt, IMO.
    $1M Brice

We could trade Beni at full value and maybe Eovaldi as well, freeing up $22 mil to get a decent starter and closer. We probably can fill at least one outfield slot internally. I like Eovaldi when he is healthy, but that is the big question with him, dependability.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    We could trade Beni at full value and maybe Eovaldi as well, freeing up $22 mil to get a decent starter and closer. We probably can fill at least one outfield slot internally. I like Eovaldi when he is healthy, but that is the big question with him, dependability.
    A trade of Andrew Benintendi and/or Nathan Eovaldi would require replacements at thin positions. That's the problem.

The question of Eovaldi's dependability limits his trade value.

Benintendi and Eovaldi are likely to return to the 2021 Red Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    A trade of Andrew Benintendi and/or Nathan Eovaldi would require replacements at thin positions. That's the problem.

You only need a replacement if you plan on competing. We still don't know what the overall plan is for 2021, a year where ERod and Sale remain big question marks again.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Well, if Beni is the 2020 Beni, what's to replace?

Yes, Eovaldi was second in IP for us, this year, but who know what to expect in 2021.

I get the risk, but keeping them is a big risk, too... and a known cost.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Legend
    [B]Well, if Beni is the 2020 Beni, what's to replace?

Yes, Eovaldi was second in IP for us, this year, but who know what to expect in 2021.

I get the risk, but keeping them is a big risk, too... and a known cost.[/ which infer]

You get my point. There was an article in the Red Sox News section which infers the Sox may have ruined Beni by trying to turn him into a power hitter. My opinion is that he needs a fresh start and that could be with another team.

Replacing Eovaldi and Beni with a starter and a closer should be possible and backfilling Beni's position from within is also possible. These are the kind of moves a creative Bloom may try to make.

You get my point. There was an article in the Red Sox News section which infers the Sox may have ruined Beni by trying to turn him into a power hitter. My opinion is that he needs a fresh start and that could be with another team.

Replacing Eovaldi and Beni with a starter and a closer should be possible and backfilling Beni's position from within is also possible. These are the kind of moves a creative Bloom may try to make.
    Personally I hope they both return. Eovaldi pitched extremely well this season, especially after coming off the DL. I realize the injury risk, but the guy's got serious upside too. And Benintendi seems like a guy with pretty good skills who may just need proper guidance and to get some confidence back.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Personally I hope they both return. Eovaldi pitched extremely well this season, especially after coming off the DL. I realize the injury risk, but the guy's got serious upside too. And Benintendi seems like a guy with pretty good skills who may just need proper guidance and to get some confidence back.
    According to Baseball Trade Values, Andrew Benintendi and Nathan Eovaldi have a combined trade value of a negative $4.9 million:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/teams/604/

Benintendi and Eovaldi are owed a combined $23.6 million in 2021 (and Eovaldi another $17 million in 2022). How much cash would the Red Sox need to send to get a nominal return?

Some folks want to get rid of almost everybody. We would just have that much bigger of a rebuild job. It is big enough as is .

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Some folks want to get rid of almost everybody. We would just have that much bigger of a rebuild job. It is big enough as is .
    I agree.

According to Baseball Trade Values, Andrew Benintendi and Nathan Eovaldi have a combined trade value of a negative $4.9 million:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/teams/604/

Benintendi and Eovaldi are owed a combined $23.6 million in 2021 (and Eovaldi another $17 million in 2022). How much cash would the Red Sox need to send to get a nominal return?

Those trade valuations really are pencil-neck geek stuff. I do understand the principles behind it, but it's based on pure statistical probabilities and projections. The computers don't know if Benintendi is fixable or if Eovaldi's arm is sound. Maybe no one does.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Those trade valuations really are pencil-neck geek stuff. I do understand the principles behind it, but it's based on pure statistical probabilities and projections. The computers don't know if Benintendi is fixable or if Eovaldi's arm is sound. Maybe no one does.
    What is a better measure of trade value? Perhaps no one is qualified to discuss roster moves.

I wasn't aware we tried to get Beni to swing harder. I thought it was his choice.

One idea might be to trade Eovaldi for another big salary but someone who is more durable or slightly cheaper.

Legend
    I wasn't aware we tried to get Beni to swing harder. I thought it was his choice.

One idea might be to trade Eovaldi for another big salary but someone who is more durable or slightly cheaper.
    Why would a trade partner do that?

Few teams are thinner in the starting rotation than the Red Sox.

Why would a trade partner do that?

Few teams are thinner in the starting rotation than the Red Sox.
    Because maybe they like Eovaldi or the payer we add to the deal more, or we get a 2Bman or CF not a pitcher, and that team has a glut of players at the position we need. (Then, we fill the pitching gap via free agency.)

Let's say a team really likes Beni and thinks Eovaldi is helpful, too. They just don't want to pay $17M. If they think Eovaldi is worth $10M, they may dump $7M back at us at a position we need. If it's a pitcher, the added value of Beni gets us a better, cheaper or more durable pitcher than Eovaldi. If it's another position player, the money saved could be used to upgrade other gaps.