Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2020 offseason thread

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I hate the idea of dealing Torres. I was just reporting what was being bandied about. Simmons cannot stay healthy, so getting a SS who cannot stay healthy on a team that cannot stay healthy makes little sense, especially for a player on the wrong side of 30 who’s quickness and speed are his greatest calling cards.

We have to re-sign DJ. In a lineup of swing and miss, I don’t think we can win a title without a contact oriented player like DJ. If there were others out there, then fine, but he’s a unicorn in today’s league.

The guy who’s easiest dealt is Andujar. His value isn’t what it was after 2018, but it’s also not zero. He’s blocked here.
    Simmons isn't as injury-prone as you make him out to be. He's no Stanton/Judge. Simmons has played 146 games every year of his career except 3...

Here is the deal. The Rays are a game away from the WS. The Yanks were tied in the 8th with a single solo homer being the difference for the winner or loser. It isnt like the title chances are any less. This is a talented club. Tweaks and additions are needed, certainly not wholescale tear downs. This isn't a post 2019 Boston team.

We have to square away catcher, and to be honest, the answer is pretty clear. Looking at the Yanks roster, it makes far more sense to just cut Gary loose or deal him to someone who is desperate. His arb number is expected to be in the $6 mil range and that is far too much for a guy who sucks at catching and has sucked at hitting 2 of the last 3 seasons. Higashioka can catch. He can frame. He can throw. The most important defensive position on the field isnt SS, it is catcher, and we have had a lumbering and lazy idiot behind the dish for too long. Thing with Higgy is that he can hit a bit too and has power. I would have a competition with Higgy the favorite going into ST. I would sign a veteran backup with defensive chops. We do not need a Realmuto at the price he will cost. We just do not, especially with DJ needing to be re-signed. I am looking at Austin Romine here. He played well with the Yanks, is a heck of a defender, and should come cheap.

We have to re-sign DJ. He isnt gonna play 1b, as the MLB HR leader plays there. He can play SS in an emergency, but he is a 2b and a really, really good one at that. I do wonder if the Yanks might be best served by moving either Gleyber or DJ to 3b, dealing Urshela and signing a solid defensive SS. Urshela has been nails at 3b, but DJ and Torres are better overall players. In doing so, we would then have the chance to move a 4 tool 3b who is getting paid peanuts for pitching, which should return something good. Maybe in that situation we could get a guy like Simmons, but he won't come cheap. We could bring in a guy like Jose Iglesias and have he and Wade duke it out or we could turn to Thairo Estrada or Kyle Holder, two slick fielding middle infield prospects who don't offer much bat.

We need to add to the rotation. Sevy is gonna be back in "July" per Cashman, so they are gonna slow play him. German is not a guy you can put into the rotation off the rip due to his lost time. Right now, the Yanks have Cole, Garcia and Montgomery. I know Schmidt is a top prospect and is ready, but I dont like the idea of 2 rookies in the rotation. Loaisiga seemed to find his way in the pen, not sure I want to mess with that. We are going to need to get some pitching. Maybe Urshela helps us bring in a pitcher and maybe we go out and sign one (like Gausman, although these reclamation project pitchers coming off a single good season rarely work out, I am looking at you Pavano). Either way, knowing reinforcements are on the way helps, but we cannot piss away 40% of our starts until Sevy is ready and German shakes off the rust.

We need to add to the pen. Kahnle is gone for the year. Ottavino imploded. He is getting paid too much to deal off unless we eat a lot of cash. Britton is likely to be back. Chapman is still nails. Green is still good. Cessa took a step forward. Holder didnt. Heller got injured again. Loaisiga was good. We have a bunch of good kids out there, but they are green and Boone was very afraid to use them in high leverage spots as evidenced by the debachle in game 5 where he tried to get 3 innings from Britton and Chap. We need another lockdown reliever, closer level guy who can handle the pressure. Not sure who is out there, but that is a definite need to fill, especially if we dont splash hard in the rotation
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Here is the deal. The Rays are a game away from the WS. The Yanks were tied in the 8th with a single solo homer being the difference for the winner or loser. It isnt like the title chances are any less. This is a talented club. Tweaks and additions are needed, certainly not wholescale tear downs. This isn't a post 2019 Boston team.

We have to square away catcher, and to be honest, the answer is pretty clear. Looking at the Yanks roster, it makes far more sense to just cut Gary loose or deal him to someone who is desperate. His arb number is expected to be in the $6 mil range and that is far too much for a guy who sucks at catching and has sucked at hitting 2 of the last 3 seasons. Higashioka can catch. He can frame. He can throw. The most important defensive position on the field isnt SS, it is catcher, and we have had a lumbering and lazy idiot behind the dish for too long. Thing with Higgy is that he can hit a bit too and has power. I would have a competition with Higgy the favorite going into ST. I would sign a veteran backup with defensive chops. We do not need a Realmuto at the price he will cost. We just do not, especially with DJ needing to be re-signed. I am looking at Austin Romine here. He played well with the Yanks, is a heck of a defender, and should come cheap.

We have to re-sign DJ. He isnt gonna play 1b, as the MLB HR leader plays there. He can play SS in an emergency, but he is a 2b and a really, really good one at that. I do wonder if the Yanks might be best served by moving either Gleyber or DJ to 3b, dealing Urshela and signing a solid defensive SS. Urshela has been nails at 3b, but DJ and Torres are better overall players. In doing so, we would then have the chance to move a 4 tool 3b who is getting paid peanuts for pitching, which should return something good. Maybe in that situation we could get a guy like Simmons, but he won't come cheap. We could bring in a guy like Jose Iglesias and have he and Wade duke it out or we could turn to Thairo Estrada or Kyle Holder, two slick fielding middle infield prospects who don't offer much bat.

We need to add to the rotation. Sevy is gonna be back in "July" per Cashman, so they are gonna slow play him. German is not a guy you can put into the rotation off the rip due to his lost time. Right now, the Yanks have Cole, Garcia and Montgomery. I know Schmidt is a top prospect and is ready, but I dont like the idea of 2 rookies in the rotation. Loaisiga seemed to find his way in the pen, not sure I want to mess with that. We are going to need to get some pitching. Maybe Urshela helps us bring in a pitcher and maybe we go out and sign one (like Gausman, although these reclamation project pitchers coming off a single good season rarely work out, I am looking at you Pavano). Either way, knowing reinforcements are on the way helps, but we cannot piss away 40% of our starts until Sevy is ready and German shakes off the rust.

We need to add to the pen. Kahnle is gone for the year. Ottavino imploded. He is getting paid too much to deal off unless we eat a lot of cash. Britton is likely to be back. Chapman is still nails. Green is still good. Cessa took a step forward. Holder didnt. Heller got injured again. Loaisiga was good. We have a bunch of good kids out there, but they are green and Boone was very afraid to use them in high leverage spots as evidenced by the debachle in game 5 where he tried to get 3 innings from Britton and Chap. We need another lockdown reliever, closer level guy who can handle the pressure. Not sure who is out there, but that is a definite need to fill, especially if we dont splash hard in the rotation
    Yes, Iglesias works. But then so does that Andrelton Simmons guy....

All good, except the signing DJ part. Get over him.

Torres will be better. Torres should not play SS. DJ should not be signed to play 1B. Move on.

Get a SS.

Why deal Torres just to sign DJ back?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    All good, except the signing DJ part. Get over him.

Torres will be better. Torres should not play SS. DJ should not be signed to play 1B. Move on.

Get a SS.

Why deal Torres just to sign DJ back?
    I don't deal Torres ever. The kid is a star and he will only get better. This is why I am saying to deal Gio. You move Torres or DJ to 3b and get a solid defender at SS. Great catching and great defense makeup for some pitching ailments.
    Hal sucks

I don't deal Torres ever. The kid is a star and he will only get better. This is why I am saying to deal Gio. You move Torres or DJ to 3b and get a solid defender at SS. Great catching and great defense makeup for some pitching ailments.
    Teixeira is saying that the Yankees should bring Didi back. Makes a lot of sense.

That said, I hope the Yankees sign DJ to a long and expensive contract.

There are only so many slices in the money pie, even when you're the Yankees.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Teixeira is saying that the Yankees should bring Didi back. Makes a lot of sense.

That said, I hope the Yankees sign DJ to a long and expensive contract.
    Looks like Yankee fans are finally admitting they can't win a title with Sanchez behind the plate, and were never as good with Gleybar at short instead of Didi. My typing fingers just had deja vu from last winter...

Didi’s first step has slowed per the defensive metrics, his hard hit percent was in the bottom second percentile of big leaguers and he was in the bottom 20% of the league in barrels. His 2020 was lucky and he’s gonna get paid. I don’t want to sign him for big money and watch him age out of being a useful starter

Maybe I misread your position. I thought you wanted to bring back DJ and trade Torres.

It's good to see you finally realizing Sanchez is not a plus, even when he hits.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I was just reporting something I read as it pertained to Torres. I’ve not interest in seeing Torres leave

Sanchez is a plus when he’s hitting 30+ bombs, hitting .250 and walking a bit. He’s useless when he’s a K, DP or occasional HR hitter. He’s Mike Zunino without Zunino’s defense.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Looks like Yankee fans are finally admitting they can't win a title with Sanchez behind the plate, and were never as good with Gleybar at short instead of Didi. My typing fingers just had deja vu from last winter...
    I was happy when the Yankees didn't re-sign Didi last offseason.

When Sanchez first came up, I was thinking that he would be a thorn in our sides for a long time. He has not lived up to expectations.

Didi’s first step has slowed per the defensive metrics, his hard hit percent was in the bottom second percentile of big leaguers and he was in the bottom 20% of the league in barrels. His 2020 was lucky and he’s gonna get paid. I don’t want to sign him for big money and watch him age out of being a useful starter
    I wouldn't sign him for big money, but I don't think his peripherals are as bad as you make them out to be. Didi's hard hit % and exit velocity are often in the bottom 5% or so of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It does seem like the Yankees got outmanaged in that series. (Kevin) Cash doesn't seem to make any managerial mistakes at all.
    This didn’t age well, lol

Looks like the possibilities of a non tender or deal of Sanchez are growing. Far more rumblings about moving on from him. Maybe he’s a change of scenery guy, but his absolutely abysmal 2020 solidified it for me. He’s got two years of control left, so it’s not like he’s some rookie who needs more reps. He gets exposed every time he hits and if a pitcher throws anything away or off speed, he cannot hit it. It’s time for him to find another spot and if he dominates there, good for him.