Register now to remove this ad

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2020 offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    While I do think the entirety of the AL is down, the AL East is absolutely not. Yanks and Jays improved. TB took a step back, but were in the WS last year. You play 47% of your games in your division
    I still don't think it's a slam dunk to say the Yanks improved. You need health from several injury-prone or recently injured players to improve on Tanaka-Paxton-Happ.

Sure, the potential is there, but you sure view your potential in a very different light than the Sox recently-injured starters.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I guess everything is potential in January. Just like the Sox are potentially going to finish with a .450 win percentage and have viewers tuning out by late April? You’ve become the last hold out of the die hard Kool Aid, pink hat homers that I’m gonna enjoy twisting the knife a bit. Hope you don’t mind
    Yes, everything is potential in January. The Sox have a potentially very good rotation, just like the Yankees. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I still don't think it's a slam dunk to say the Yanks improved. You need health from several injury-prone or recently injured players to improve on Tanaka-Paxton-Happ.

Sure, the potential is there, but you sure view your potential in a very different light than the Sox recently-injured starters.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Thank you.
    Tanaka + Paxton+ Happ> Kluber + Taillon

Kluber + Taillon > Tanaka, Paxton + Happ?

Who knows?

Yes, others are coming back from injury, but that's our story, too.

They still have Sanchez at catcher. Voit & Ursela could have a letdown. Nom improvement at middle IF, DH or OF. They may bring Gardner back, but even that is just a sideways move.

Of course, they could end up better than 2020, but I think we could just as easily improve by as many or more wins as the Yanks from 2020.

Yanks are gonna slow play Sevy. Timetable for return is “late summer”. They’re gonna use their depth to allow him to be totally back and built up. They’ll likely have him do a full 30 day rehab

Yanks sign Barraclough. Guy used to throw smoke and dominate. He was injured and lost some velo. If the velo is back, he could be a find. If it is t, it’s a minors deal and he can go his merry way.

Looks like the Yanks are adding Justin Wilson.

All-Star
    I really like what I saw. I mean yeah stantons contract kind of gets in the way, but he could be lethal. I just hope andujar gets some ABs. The offense is slick. The starting pitching has a chance to be one of the better ones and I think the bullpen will be sneaky good with loasianga. I really like his stuff. I'm excited for baseball!

This is the first year in awhile where I think the Yanks are head and shoulder over anyone in the AL.

This is the first year in awhile where I think the Yanks are head and shoulder over anyone in the AL.
    The Yanks finished 7 games behind the Rays, who look to be significantly worse than last year- losing Snell, Morton and others and replacing them with bigger question marks than the Yanks & Sox added.

The Yanks finished 1 game ahead of the Jays, who vastly improved over 2020. They added George Springer, Marcus Semien, Kirby Yates, Steven Matz and Tyler Chatwood. They have a lot of very young talent moving closer to prime.

The Yanks lost 3 big innings eaters from 2019 and or 2020: Tanaka, Paxton & Happ. They replaced them with pitchers who are coming off injuries and have pitched very little in the last year or two: Kluber, Taillon, O'Day and Justin Wilson. Is this an improvement?

Many teams have players returning from injury, some that played very little or not at all, last year. The Yanks probably have more of these players than the Jays and Rays, and a guy like Severino could provide a big boost mid season.

While I agree, the Yanks look the best, on paper, than the Rays and jays, I thought they did, last year, too. I don't see a major improvement from the Yanks, like I see with the Jays, and I certainly would not call it "head and shoulders."

Favorites?

YES!

Yeah, German's head and Kluber's shoulder.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Is that because of all the strong talk about teammates having German's back, but that "he's on thin ice"?
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Paxton was hurt all last year. Tanaka was good. Happ was lucky (FIP>1 run higher than ERA).

Here’s the deal. Taillon has FAR more upside than either of the three above. Kluber has a better track record than all three as well. Garcia now has a half season under his belt. German is also back, plus or minus. And Severino is slated to come back mid season. So yeah, there are injury risks, but we replaced really Tanaka and Happ with 4 capable big league starters plus our hot shot rookie now has some big league experience. The rotation is way better and it ain’t close

Paxton was hurt all last year. Tanaka was good. Happ was lucky (FIP>1 run higher than ERA).

Here’s the deal. Taillon has FAR more upside than either of the three above. Kluber has a better track record than all three as well. Garcia now has a half season under his belt. German is also back, plus or minus. And Severino is slated to come back mid season. So yeah, there are injury risks, but we replaced really Tanaka and Happ with 4 capable big league starters plus our hot shot rookie now has some big league experience. The rotation is way better and it ain’t close
    Could have the best starting rotation sitting on the IL in league history!
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Paxton, at 20.1 IP in 2020, still placed 6th in starter IP in 2020, so don't pretend he didn't pitch. He was also a big part of the 2019 rotation, and I was comparing 2021 to 2020 and 2019.

Here's the real deal: "far more upside" only counts for Yankee pitchers, to you.

James Paxton already has had a 140 ERA+ season. How much "upside did and does he have?"
    Happ had a 125 ERA+ from 2016-2018 and had over 160 IP in 2018 and 2019. How much "Upside?"
    Tanaka was a huge part of your rotation. Yes, he was replaced by some big upside players, but none have done squat for 1-2 years.

Why are ERod, Sale, Richards and Eovaldi all written off? I never hear you say the word "upside" with any of those 4 Sox pitchers.

The fact is, on paper, the Yanks did not improve from 2020 or 2019. The Jays did. Every year, the Yanks face a lot of injuries, but you don't seem to chalk it up to being injury prone, like you do to Eovaldi & Richards.

That being said, I do see the Yanks getting better due to players returning from injury and expecting you get something good from Kluber, Taillon and Severino, but in no way have you clearly gotten way better than the Jays, who added Springer and Semien and pen help.

"Upside potential" is not something only Yankees have. How much upside is there for these Jays?

Vlad turns 22, this year. The sky seems like the limit for this kid. (24 HRs and 102 RBI in his first 685 ABs)
    Bichette turns 23, this year. He already has an .896 OPS and a projected 35 HR per 162 game number.
    Gurriel turns 25, this year. He's hit .874 the last 2 years (31 Hrs in 600 ABs).
    Teoscar Hernandez turns 24, soon. He hiy .919 last year and has 42 HRs in his last 671 ABs.
    Rowdy Tellez turns 26, soon. He has a career .797 OPs (33 Hrs in 553 ABs)
    Cavan Biggio turns 26, soon. He has a .798 career OPS (24 Hrs in 574 ABs)

Others:
    Grichuk (29): .770 since 2018 (34 HRs per 162 games)
    (C) Jansen (26): .668 career OPS (22 HRs in 548 ABs)

Nobody is over 27. NOBODY HAS EVEN REACHED PEAK PRIME!
    Most are on the upside of their age-prime curve. Not many injury issues, either.

MASSIVE Upside potential for 6-7 players above. Some may slump, but others could move off the charts to the good.

Their rotation is the big question mark, and even if Kluber, Severino & Taillon give the Yanks very little, the Yankee ratation might still do better than a 100% healthy Jays rotation.

Last edited by moonslav59; 02-26-2021 at 12:01 PM.