Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2020 offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I like this deal for the Yankees. I would have done this for the Sox in a heartbeat. $11M might seem like a lot for a 35 year old pitcher who hasn't pitched much in the last 2 years due to injury, but it's a one-year deal. If he's not healthy, the sunk cost is easy to absorb.

OTOH, he could end up being very good. He's very much worth the risk. A writer also mentioned the benefits of his intangibles, which I thought was a good point.
    I'm not going to pretend I wish the Sox did not sign him for slightly more, but $11-12M is still a lot of money. For a team looking to rebuild- mostly for 2022 and beyond, deals like this are just bridges and fan appeasement type choices and may take away from the ability to build for a stronger long term outlook. Yes, one year deals don't hurt as much when the player flops, but on the flip side, when they do very well, they leave a big hole the next winter.

Also, our rotation is full of pitchers with serious health issues. Kluber saw his velocity drop after 2016 from around 94 mph to about 92 mph. It's hard to be critical of his 2017 and 2018 seasons, where he put up some great numbers, including 2 of his best 3 ERA- seasons and, by far, his best two WHIP seasons (0.87 & 0.99), but if his velocity is now around 90 mph, there remains the big question on how effective he can be. If he needs to re-invent himself from a K pitcher or "thrower" to more of a finesse type pitcher, it may take more than a year, if ever.

Again, I'm not projecting doom for Kluber. I wish we had signed him to a 1 year deal, but if he struggles, it will be a big step down from Tanaka for the Yanks.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

If the Red Sox had signed him, they would have had the elite DL starting rotation.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

What are the odds of either team having a SP'er get even 25 GS'd & 160+ IP?

Cole is on the Yanks. He should go 32 and 200+

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Not a fan of this deal. Our rotation beyond Cole is just a bunch of question marks, and now Kluber is one more.
    IMO, his potential upside outweighs the risk. That said, the Yankees need a solid Plan B in case Kluber can't pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not going to pretend I wish the Sox did not sign him for slightly more, but $11-12M is still a lot of money. For a team looking to rebuild- mostly for 2022 and beyond, deals like this are just bridges and fan appeasement type choices and may take away from the ability to build for a stronger long term outlook. Yes, one year deals don't hurt as much when the player flops, but on the flip side, when they do very well, they leave a big hole the next winter.

Also, our rotation is full of pitchers with serious health issues. Kluber saw his velocity drop after 2016 from around 94 mph to about 92 mph. It's hard to be critical of his 2017 and 2018 seasons, where he put up some great numbers, including 2 of his best 3 ERA- seasons and, by far, his best two WHIP seasons (0.87 & 0.99), but if his velocity is now around 90 mph, there remains the big question on how effective he can be. If he needs to re-invent himself from a K pitcher or "thrower" to more of a finesse type pitcher, it may take more than a year, if ever.

Again, I'm not projecting doom for Kluber. I wish we had signed him to a 1 year deal, but if he struggles, it will be a big step down from Tanaka for the Yanks.
    No doubt that Kluber carries a lot of question marks with him. I still think he's worth the chance. I get that he wouldn't be part of the plan beyond this year, but I'm looking to compete this year and I think Kluber would help us get there.

I would much rather see a deal like this than a 5+ year deal for Bauer.

I would much rather see a deal like this than a 5+ year deal for Bauer.
    Something in between could help us in 2021 and beyond- like Odorizzi to a 3 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Cole is on the Yanks. He should go 32 and 200+
    I meant to specify just the questionable pitchers on bot teams- basically every starter, except Cole.

IMO, his potential upside outweighs the risk. That said, the Yankees need a solid Plan B in case Kluber can't pitch.
    Ding ding ding. For the sox, these are the type of moves you make with an eye towards dealing at the deadline. For the sox, if Kluber was good, they could use the $6-7 mil or so (pre-ASB) as an investment in a prospect package. If he sucked, then you only lose money and it's a 1 year deal. I do not dislike this move for the Yanks in terms of upside and commitment. I dislike the idea that he will be leaned on as if he is a constant, which he clearly is not
    Hal sucks

Yanks are apparently intent on resetting again this year. In doing so, I’d assume they’ll spend again after 2021, and Thor will be a free agent.

Ding ding ding. For the sox, these are the type of moves you make with an eye towards dealing at the deadline. For the sox, if Kluber was good, they could use the $6-7 mil or so (pre-ASB) as an investment in a prospect package. If he sucked, then you only lose money and it's a 1 year deal. I do not dislike this move for the Yanks in terms of upside and commitment. I dislike the idea that he will be leaned on as if he is a constant, which he clearly is not
    Well, why would we trade Kluber at the ASB if he's good? Quit assuming that the Sox aren't going to the playoffs.

Well, why would we trade Kluber at the ASB if he's good? Quit assuming that the Sox aren't going to the playoffs.
    The Sox were the fourth worst team in baseball last year. They’ve got no MLB ready farm. They’ve made no measurable improvements. They’re not acting like they’re playoff contenders. They’re not making the playoffs

The Sox were the fourth worst team in baseball last year. They’ve got no MLB ready farm. They’ve made no measurable improvements. They’re not acting like they’re playoff contenders. They’re not making the playoffs
    So, winter signings and trades are over?

Nobody ever comes back from injuries? (BTW, the Yanks don't win, if players injured, last year, don't come back.)

(Dalbec is still considered a rookie or "ML farm ready.")

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    So, winter signings and trades are over?

Nobody ever comes back from injuries? (BTW, the Yanks don't win, if players injured, last year, don't come back.)

(Dalbec is still considered a rookie or "ML farm ready.")
    Dalbec replaced Chavis as the hope for the next home grown power hitter.

Dalbec replaced Chavis as the hope for the next home grown power hitter.
    Dalbec is better than Chavis and is "ML farm ready", right?