Register now to remove this ad

View Poll Results: Will Bauer only sign for 1 year this offseason?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that's what he said and he's sticking to it. Just one year!

0 0%
  • No, dummy. He's going to take the bigger contract with multiple years!

5 100.00%

Thread: Trevor Bauer Contract Length

Trevor Bauer Contract Length

There's a lot of talk about Bauer's free agency. Some of it is about his previous statements about only going year to year on his deals.

Will Bauer only sign for 1 year this offseason?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    I don't think so.

The year-to-year strategy during his arbitration years was one thing, as the ony other option was to sign a multi-year deal that is often referred to as being "team friendly," and Bauer appears to be against anything that is "team friendly."

I think someone throws a 7 year deal in excess of $230 million at him, and his agent runs a few numbers by him that shows this offer is about as far from "team friendly" as it gets...

All I know is that I don't really want him to sign here. I don't have anything against his game, he just rubs me the wrong way. Said the same thing about Sale and my feelings have changed a little as I've gotten to know him, so I'm open-minded. But if we hire Cora it won't matter because I won't watch a single Red Sox game until Cora is no longer manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    All I know is that I don't really want him to sign here. I don't have anything against his game, he just rubs me the wrong way. Said the same thing about Sale and my feelings have changed a little as I've gotten to know him, so I'm open-minded. But if we hire Cora it won't matter because I won't watch a single Red Sox game until Cora is no longer manager.
    I believe Bauer and Sale are two completely different cases. I think Sale was standing up for his team against poor management. I think Bauer is just a self promoter.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I believe Bauer and Sale are two completely different cases. I think Sale was standing up for his team against poor management. I think Bauer is just a self promoter.
    Not necessarily what I was referring to with Sale, but I don't disagree. Just IMO, neither one strikes me as somebody I'd get a beer with, if that was something I did. If he signs here, whatever. I'm fine with it. I don't like to complain. I'm just not salivating over him like others here are at the moment. I don't think he's an essential component of our potential future success

7 years.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Not necessarily what I was referring to with Sale, but I don't disagree. Just IMO, neither one strikes me as somebody I'd get a beer with, if that was something I did. If he signs here, whatever. I'm fine with it. I don't like to complain. I'm just not salivating over him like others here are at the moment. I don't think he's an essential component of our potential future success
    Well, I'd suggest that sometimes it's more fun to get a beer with a guy like Bauer or Sale, depending on your mood.

5 years + option year
    other names i have posted under: none

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    I know we're just making conversation but I can't answer the question because I am not Trevor Bauer. He would have to be incredibly dumb to go year to year, though. One major injury or massive decline in performance, and he's fucked. If he's talking year to year, it's only in the expectation that his value will keep going up, so he can keep pulling the lever and hitting bigger and bigger jackpots. He's not talking about letting the team protect their investment if his value nosedives...

Much as I hate the stupid contracts being handed out, for the players, they're gold. Don't play well? No problem, you get paid the same! So why bother??

I'm generally against multi-year 100% guaranteed contracts, but if there's a sport that should have 100% guaranteed, it's football. Seems like those guys are risking their health way more than in the other three sports, and the physical beating they go through each week is brutal.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I don't think so.

The year-to-year strategy during his arbitration years was one thing, as the ony other option was to sign a multi-year deal that is often referred to as being "team friendly," and Bauer appears to be against anything that is "team friendly."

I think someone throws a 7 year deal in excess of $230 million at him, and his agent runs a few numbers by him that shows this offer is about as far from "team friendly" as it gets...
    I think someone will offer him a 7 year deal as well. Crazy. I hope the Red Sox stay far away from him if we're talking that long of a contract.