Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cashman

From the sounds of it, this year, he couldn’t add payroll. That’s problematic for the Yanks for 2021, imo. The only thing you can do as a GM is give your team a chance to win. It’s not up to the GM to put a team over the top, that’s on the coach and the players. To have deftly dealt with the corpses of Jeter and ARod, the upside down spending of a team on the downswing, and then rebuild the team into a title contending club for four years now is pretty good. High payroll guarantees you nothing beyond a better chance. I like Cashman. I think he flubbed the game 2 shit vs TB (sounds like Boone went along with an idea from the FO). I would have loved to have seen another warm body who can start come in at the deadline. Other than that, his small acquisitions seem to hit every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'm just saying that those deadline moves can be key to address weaknesses that have arisen or increase depth.
    Yes. I don't disagree with that. I think the right deadline moves are very important.

I was responding to the line about Yankees fans wanting Cashman gone due to the lack of postseason success.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    From the sounds of it, this year, he couldn’t add payroll. That’s problematic for the Yanks for 2021, imo. The only thing you can do as a GM is give your team a chance to win. It’s not up to the GM to put a team over the top, that’s on the coach and the players. To have deftly dealt with the corpses of Jeter and ARod, the upside down spending of a team on the downswing, and then rebuild the team into a title contending club for four years now is pretty good. High payroll guarantees you nothing beyond a better chance. I like Cashman. I think he flubbed the game 2 shit vs TB (sounds like Boone went along with an idea from the FO). I would have loved to have seen another warm body who can start come in at the deadline. Other than that, his small acquisitions seem to hit every year.
    I tend to agree about Cashman. I have stated often that I think he is a good GM.

Boone as a manager, not so much.

Agree X 2. Cashman is a plus. Boone is a schill

Agree X 2. Cashman is a plus. Boone is a schill
    Boone is Cashman's boy, though.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

He likely is. The Fo makes decisions for strategy pre game but Boone makes the decision on who to bring into the game. Boone has continually overplayed his hand and has left us vulnerable to needing more out of our top relievers and for two years in a row, it’s burned us.

Give credit where credit's due... that the Yankees and Red Sox always seem to find overlooked guys that "blossom" or have career years isn't coincidental or lucky. GMs like Cashman and Epstein are smart enough to have their scouts and nerds target "finds" -- which are in reality professional hitters who really benefit being in lineups with middle-of-the order mashers that totally stress out pitchers' elbows and rotator cuffs before their turns at bat.

Those batting orders help produce the Urshelas, Voits and Twatmans of the world... and allow Bill Muellers to win batting crowns batting 8th or Steve Pearces World Series MVPs.

It isn't always a bench coach like Carlos Beltran "paying attention to details"...

When you make hundreds of signings over the 20+ seasons as Yankee GM, you are bound to get some right. The list of bad to horrific signings is pretty long, too. (Some horrific trades, too.)

Here is just the list of every Yankee contract that made the top 70 contracts in MLB history:

Highest paid contracts by ranking:
    7. ARod I (2008)
    9. ARod II (2001)
    22. Jeter (2001)
    25. Teixeira (2009)
    31. CC Sab (2009)
    36. Tanaka (2014)
    39. Ellsbury (2014)
    65. CC Sab (2012)
    67. Giambi (2002) adjust for inflation and this would place higher
    (82. traded for Kevin Brown)

Here's the Sox list:
    16. Price
    33. Manny
    38. AGon
    42. Sale
    46. Crawford
    67. Bogey
    _______
    75. Pedey & JD
    93. Paloaf

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Boone is Cashman's boy, though.
    Well, as every parent knows, that someday will come when your own little boy has to leave the nest and be replaced by Will Venable...

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    When you make hundreds of signings over the 20+ seasons as Yankee GM, you are bound to get some right. The list of bad to horrific signings is pretty long, too. (Some horrific trades, too.)

Here is just the list of every Yankee contract that made the top 70 contracts in MLB history:

Highest paid contracts by ranking:
    7. ARod I (2008)
    9. ARod II (2001)
    22. Jeter (2001)
    25. Teixeira (2009)
    31. CC Sab (2009)
    36. Tanaka (2014)
    39. Ellsbury (2014)
    65. CC Sab (2012)
    67. Giambi (2002) adjust for inflation and this would place higher
    (82. traded for Kevin Brown)

Here's the Sox list:
    16. Price
    33. Manny
    38. AGon
    42. Sale
    46. Crawford
    67. Bogey
    _______
    75. Pedey & JD
    93. Paloaf

Yes, the big market clubs can usually afford to absorb mistakes (I almost said "eat contracts", but Fungu Panda was leering at me). Guys that don't fit in aren't kept around for very long -- like Renteria or Sonny Gray.

But if you're Cleveland and you sign Wayne Garland for 10 years and he blows out his arm after one season, you're screwed for the next decade.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Yes, the big market clubs can usually afford to absorb mistakes (I almost said "eat contracts", but Fungu Panda was leering at me). Guys that don't fit in aren't kept around for very long -- like Renteria or Sonny Gray.

But if you're Cleveland and you sign Wayne Garland for 10 years and he blows out his arm after one season, you're screwed for the next decade.
    Or even if he doesn’t blow out his arm, since Wayne Garland is like 70 years old...