Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Moneyball and the mechanization and computerization of MLB

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Remember when Pedro came in in relief in that Indians playoff game and went like 7 innings all tired out?

Had he let up a ton of runs, would that have been worse than the Little decision?
    Even your strawman is saying no.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    A fair point, but, based on the responses so far, I'd have to say no one on talksox (so far) is arguing to go with the computer no matter what. And that's my quarrel. Computers are here to stay, but last night Kevin Cash reminded me of the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz: "I haven't got a brain."
    Trust but verify.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    "If he doesn't have that WP" is kind of like that joke, "other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?"
    Remember when Stanley didn't cross up Gedman?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    If Cash really said that, he is a raving idiot. As I just pointed out to Notin, how come Cash didn't follow that plan in the previous game when his starter Glasnow went five innings, gave up 4 runs, and faced--wait for it--24 batters.

Cash and the Rays had a great season, especially given their payroll. But that doesn't mean Cash never makes mistakes.
    It’s not a question of whether or not Cash makes mistakes. It’s a question of whether or not he relies solely on the computer, as you said he does in the OP...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Well, like I said, the game plan was clearly to ride the bullpen. Since he was not able to get a good game out of Glasnow, it's possible he decided to change his strategy for game 6, when his back was up against the wall. What are you saying - that he has to use the same strategy every day?

And really, we don;t know how much of his "twice through the lineup" plan was based on conversations with Snell, or what he felt he could get out of his pen, or possibly even his desire to use Snell as an emergency reliever the next day.

The bottom line is, none of us really know everything behind why Snell was pulled.

And leave Snell in or pull him out, the Rays only scored one run and were shutout the final 8 innings. THAT was a much bigger factor in losing...
    To me the fact that the Rays only scored one run only reinforces the notion that you stay with Snell because he was their best means of winning a low scoring game. Or have you never heard of a pitching duel? Have you even heard of Johnny Podres who shut out the Yankees in game 7 of the 1955 WS?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Remember when Stanley didn't cross up Gedman?
    Exactly what came to my mind.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Even your strawman is saying no.
    What a performance by Pedro that deciding game.

They had put up crooked numbers in 7 of the 8 innings they batted the previous game- winning 23-7, but they went down 5-2 and 8-7 against the Indians.

Saberhagen 1 IP 5 runs
    S Lowe 2 IP 3 runs

Pedro comes in for 6 IP

0 Hits

0 runs

8 Ks

We went on to lose to the Yanks (4 games to 1) with Pedro winning our only game (#3 over Roger Clemens). In that game, he went 7 IP 2H 0 Runns (12 Ks). We were down 2-1 in that series, at the time, despite outscoring the Yanks 18-8.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Exactly what came to my mind.
    Damn Stanley and his analytics!

Damn Stanley and his analytics!
    Bob Stanley, the most tragic figure in Red Sox history, in my books at least.

Deity
    Of course he said he did not have his good stuff, and he didn't. But the Rays got where they were by riding their bullpen, too.

And really, if Anderson doesn't have that WP, do you not see that entire inning being drastically different?
    If Anderson doesn't have that WP???????!!!!!!! To me the wild pitch is one more strong piece of evidence that Anderson wasn't ready to pitch, didn't have good stuff, didn't have good command, etc. Guess how many Snell had in 73 pitches. That's right, none. I mean, seriously, how could any pitcher in the post game interview say, "I was doing great except for the double and wild pitch that turned that inning into a disaster. If they ain't hitting it out of the park, I'm doing my job.

I just read that Anderson said after the game he was fatigued from the heavy postseason workload.

That makes the decision look even worse.

Bob Stanley, the most tragic figure in Red Sox history, in my books at least.
    Bill Buckner for me, not that he deserves it.

I just read that Anderson said after the game he was fatigued from the heavy postseason workload.

That makes the decision look even worse.
    Yeah. You can only go to the well just so often. These bullpen guys can wear down too. But Cash stayed with what worked for him all year. It didn't work this time. As someone pointed out , you won't win many games when you score just one run.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Old school , baseball sense , gut feeling , tobacco spitting, beer drinking , no nonsense managing vs. New school , data driven, analytics loving , nerd consulting, geek web site studying , five hour energy, sabermetrics managing. The debate rages on . It should sustain us through the long , cold winter and the " not so " hot stove league.
    I am very much a fan of analytics, but it should never be an either/or thing. It can't be when you're working with human beings.

I am not going to bash Cash for his decision to take Snell out of the game. The Rays have been following that playbook all season, and there is certainly some validity to his decision. That said, in general, I think there is a not so good trend towards removing starting pitchers too early in postseason games. I understand the urgency of making moves and all, but if a starter is cruising, then let him stay in the game until he gives up a baserunner or two.

I really, really don't like the fact that the role of the starting pitching is becoming so much less important.

Also, I really don't like the hot stove league.

He went with his strength, which was his bullpen all season long.

Since he has not really said why he pulled him, a lot of people are jumping to conclusions. But Cash didn't put have the best season in the AL because he did not know what he was doing...
    I like this post.

I will say, however, that when a starter gets pulled early and often in the postseason, the bullpen is going to get overused and overexposed.