Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox Manager

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    You would have to check with Kimmi or Moon about the classroom situation. I wouldn't know. I flunked algebra. But it wasn't the teacher's fault.
    It's always the principal's fault.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Bobby Valentine is another guy who is a convenient target. He took over a bad situation in Boston. He was brought in ostensibly to instill some discipline to a team that had gotten a bit out of hand , but when he tried to do so he received no backing . And when the team struggled , they unloaded ( and rightly so ) some of the top players. The team predictably tanked completely. Bobby V. was the wrong fit at the wrong time. They would have been better off keeping Tito. But Valentine knew how to manage. He was highly respected in Japan . And he managed the 2000 Mets to the N.L. pennant and a World Series vs. the Yankees. Also , he is truly one of the good guys in sports . Currently the Athletic Director at Sacred Heart University in Connecticut, where he is setting up a Jackie Robinson scholarship. It might be time for folks to get off his case.

Yeah, but a lot of that is the exact same thing some people are saying about LaRussa.

Valentine got off completely wrong with the Sox with his old school approach that surprised the players and was absolutely not what they needed. That he was hired to “discipline” a bunch of adults is more a statement about how out of touch the higher ups were with what was wrong than anything else...

Deity
    You would have to check with Kimmi or Moon about the classroom situation. I wouldn't know. I flunked algebra. But it wasn't the teacher's fault.
    Can’t ask moon. I distinctly said “her classroom.” No idea why, but I got all sexist about it. (Then again, my wife is a teacher. Also, she’s female.)

Bobby Valentine is another guy who is a convenient target. He took over a bad situation in Boston. He was brought in ostensibly to instill some discipline to a team that had gotten a bit out of hand , but when he tried to do so he received no backing . And when the team struggled , they unloaded ( and rightly so ) some of the top players. The team predictably tanked completely. Bobby V. was the wrong fit at the wrong time. They would have been better off keeping Tito. But Valentine knew how to manage. He was highly respected in Japan . And he managed the 2000 Mets to the N.L. pennant and a World Series vs. the Yankees. Also , he is truly one of the good guys in sports . Currently the Athletic Director at Sacred Heart University in Connecticut, where he is setting up a Jackie Robinson scholarship. It might be time for folks to get off his case.
    The best thing he's done in Connecticut is open up a sports bar right next door to the Hartford-Springfield Airport. Otherwise, even we hate him here

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    The best thing he's done in Connecticut is open up a sports bar right next door to the Hartford-Springfield Airport. Otherwise, even we hate him here
    Okay . Forget all of the charity work he does. The sports bar alone gives him a lifetime pass with me.

Looks to me that Reinsdorf's move has more to do with his fear of political stances that don't reflect his own. Like others who hold these anti-protest, flag-waving views (Roger Goodell, Jerra Jones, DT, Brett Favre), he has an absolutely flawless military-service record to back it up.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Looks to me that Reinsdorf's move has more to do with his fear of political stances that don't reflect his own. Like others who hold these anti-protest, flag-waving views (Roger Goodell, Jerra Jones, DT, Brett Favre), he has an absolutely flawless military-service record to back it up.
    Really ? Is this necessary?

Really ? Is this necessary?
    Well, nothing is 'necessary'. But his politics (including past statements on Kaepernik) was one of the issues raised by the reporters concerning whether he was in touch with younger players.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

So , the bar is set pretty high for La Russa . He has to not only win the division , but the "crap shoot" that is the post season as well. Even then , the G.M. gets the credit. The White Sox have some potential , but they are not exactly the 2020 Dodgers or the 2018 Red Sox. Not even close. How many managers are held to that standard ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yes, I was a little surprised Kimmi said they'd have to win the Small Sample Crapshoot.
    No, that's not what I said. I said that if the White Sox failed to contend, then it would be fair to question the choice of La Russa, and if they win the WS, then La Russa would be considered the right choice. I did not say that if the White Sox make it to the playoffs but fail to win the WS, that that makes La Russa the wrong choice. (There's a Geometry logic lesson in there somewhere. )

FTR, the same would hold true of any manager that the White Sox hired, including my beloved, analytically driven, and much younger Alex Cora.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    No, that's not what I said. I said that if the White Sox failed to contend, then it would be fair to question the choice of La Russa, and if they win the WS, then La Russa would be considered the right choice. I did not say that if the White Sox make it to the playoffs but fail to win the WS, that that makes La Russa the wrong choice. (There's a Geometry logic lesson in there somewhere. )

FTR, the same would hold true of any manager that the White Sox hired, including my beloved, analytically driven, and much younger Alex Cora.
    Speaking of which, somebody please hire Cora so the Red Sox don't have to

La Russa has always related well to the players. The young ChiSox , who have yet to proves themselves , should listen to and respect a senior manager who has three rings , four manager of the year awards and is in the Hall of Fame . If they don't, shame on them and their parents.
    Oh, I wholeheartedly agree with that. The question is, will they? Will La Russa be able to communicate to the players in such a way that the players will buy into what he is saying?

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Well, nothing is 'necessary'. But his politics (including past statements on Kaepernik) was one of the issues raised by the reporters concerning whether he was in touch with younger players.
    Suit yourself , jad. I know it is hard for you to resist. I'm not getting involved . We have seen what happens when someone starts this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's always the principal's fault.
    It's almost always the parents' fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Speaking of which, somebody please hire Cora so the Red Sox don't have to
    Our two main competitors, I think, the White Sox and the Tigers, are out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It's almost always the parents' fault.
    True dat.

BTW, I always give credit to principals when things go right.

I have a great one, now.
    Sox 4 Ever