0 0%
  • Jake Marisnick

2 15.38%
  • Alex Verdugo (sign/trade for RFer)

0 0%
  • Jarren Duran

3 23.08%
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should the Sox have play CF on opening day?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I think the Sox CF next year will be Kevin Kiermaier.

The Rays need a catcher and have oodles (Yes, oodles!) of young pitching Bloom knows well. And he’ll take back Kiermaier’s expensive (2 yr / $25.6mill) contract away from Tampa in order to get as much pitching as he can. That Tampa has an abundance of centerfielders with Margot and Arozarena just adds to how much sense this deal would make for them...
    If they sign Ozuna, Verdugo plays CF. That’s a poll option.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I think the Sox CF next year will be Kevin Kiermaier.

The Rays need a catcher and have oodles (Yes, oodles!) of young pitching Bloom knows well. And he’ll take back Kiermaier’s expensive (2 yr / $25.6mill) contract away from Tampa in order to get as much pitching as he can. That Tampa has an abundance of centerfielders with Margot and Arozarena just adds to how much sense this deal would make for them...
    But then we’d have to watch a CFer better than JBJ...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If they sign Ozuna, Verdugo plays CF. That’s a poll option.
    If we made the move to add Ozuna to left and move Verdugo to center, then I presume that Beni would be traded and to balance the salary and allow for paying Devers and pitching in future, I assume we would bring up an outfield prospect. Duran is the obvious possibility. The kid is 24 and has had some glowing reports. Either bring him up or trade him, but don't wait until he is 26 or so.

I like Ozuna, but also having JD on the roster means that it's unlikely the Sox go for Ozuna.

Deity
    I like Ozuna, but also having JD on the roster means that it's unlikely the Sox go for Ozuna.
    Unless they move Benintendi, either to CF or another team...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    MLBTR's rankings:

1. Bauer 4/128
    2. Realmuto 5/125
    3. Springer 5/125
    4. Ozuna 4/72

I'd say Springer makes the cut.
    You and MLBTR say that, and you both could and should be right.

But in order for you to be right, you need at least one MLB GM on your side...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    If we made the move to add Ozuna to left and move Verdugo to center, then I presume that Beni would be traded and to balance the salary and allow for paying Devers and pitching in future, I assume we would bring up an outfield prospect. Duran is the obvious possibility. The kid is 24 and has had some glowing reports. Either bring him up or trade him, but don't wait until he is 26 or so.
    If the Sox keep Duran down until he is 26, they would at least control him through age 32.

If they think as highly of him as you think (and they might), it could mean a stopgap CF like Pillar/Marisnick/Lagares type is more likely in 2021. Someone they can bench halfway through the season if Duran needs a shot...

Unless they move Benintendi, either to CF or another team...
    No to Beni in CF. That would be a nightmare.

If the Sox keep Duran down until he is 26, they would at least control him through age 32.

If they think as highly of him as you think (and they might), it could mean a stopgap CF like Pillar/Marisnick/Lagares type is more likely in 2021. Someone they can bench halfway through the season if Duran needs a shot...
    If Durran doesn't appear until he's 26, it's because he didn't progress at all in 2021. He should be a second half call up next year.

Deity
    If Durran doesn't appear until he's 26, it's because he didn't progress at all in 2021. He should be a second half call up next year.
    I think that is pretty likely. I don't think the Sox spend extravagantly on CF if they actually have a potential starter just waiting. If they spend on any position, it would be 2B or to backfill another traded stater who gets dealt for pitching (Vazquez?).

Like I said, this opens to door for Pillar or Marisnick or possibly Mallex Smith, who had his best season playing on a Bloom team in Tampa. (And who should have been an option in the poll)...

I think that is pretty likely. I don't think the Sox spend extravagantly on CF if they actually have a potential starter just waiting. If they spend on any position, it would be 2B or to backfill another traded stater who gets dealt for pitching (Vazquez?).

Like I said, this opens to door for Pillar or Marisnick or possibly Mallex Smith, who had his best season playing on a Bloom team in Tampa. (And who should have been an option in the poll)...
    If they spend on 2b, do they transition Downs to a different position?

Deity
    Downs has played only a handful of games above A-ball. I think accommodating him in the immediate future plans at this point might be a tad premature.

They could sign a 1-2 year deal to Kolten Wong, Jonathan Villar, Tommy La Stella or Jonathan Schoop and then see where Downs is after 2021. If Downs is still a worthwhile prospect, at worst this would delay him making the team until 2023, with 2022 still on the table.

There are no second basemen on the market right now that should command a deal longer than 1-2 years, except maybe Wong...

I think it all comes down to which free agent shortstop they sign after next season -- Lindor, Correa, Seager, Story or Baez. These are arguably the best free agent position players available this year (via possible trade), next year and beyond, and if the Sox don't spend big this winter, the timing -- for being closer to contention and a PR splash -- will be ripe. Maybe one of them slides over to second or third, or maybe X Bogie does... or opts out, depending on if the Big Five make big dough on a rebounding market (or if Boston still stinks).
    Last edited by 5GoldGloves:OF,75; 11-05-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I think it all comes down to which free agent shortstop they sign after next season -- Lindor, Correa, Seager, Story or Baez. These are arguably the best free agent position players available this year (via possible trade), next year and beyond, and if the Sox don't spend big this winter, the timing -- for being closer to contention and a PR splash -- will be ripe. Maybe one of them slides over to second or third, or maybe X Bogie does... or opts out, depending on if the Big Five make big dough on a rebounding market (or if Boston still stinks).
    So are they dealing Bogaerts to fit them?

If they bring in one of those SS's, it does ensure Bogaerts would opt out after 2022. Unless they deal him before the season, when his value will be at it's lowest due to having one season of control remaining.

But my thoughts are, ignore those guys and keep they guy you have. Maybe work out an extension for him to prevent the opt out...

So are they dealing Bogaerts to fit them?

If they bring in one of those SS's, it does ensure Bogaerts would opt out after 2022. Unless they deal him before the season, when his value will be at it's lowest due to having one season of control remaining.

But my thoughts are, ignore those guys and keep they guy you have. Maybe work out an extension for him to prevent the opt out...
    I wouldn't put it past Bloom to trade X; remember, he's a Dave signing... Plus, as far as we know, Bogie may tell them he wants to play for a winner one more time while he's still young, and they agree to find a landing spot he prefers, like they did with Mookie.