Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Cora is back!

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I like Jimy, but Morgan should get a little more credit than that...
    Morgan in the postseason: 0-8

Jimy in the postseason: 5-9

Jimy gets the nod. Morgan's squad had numerous HOF players (Clemens, Boggs, Rice, Evans) to lean on. Jimy had only Pedro.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Welcome back Cora!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post

Jimy gets the nod. Morgan's squad had numerous HOF players (Clemens, Boggs, Rice, Evans) to lean on. Jimy had only Pedro.
    Darrell Johnson 6-4, Farrell 12-11, Mac 7-7, Little 6-6, Dick Williams 3-4, Kennedy 0-3

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post

If Jimy managed with the same playoff structure as Morgan, he never would have made the post-season....

@redsoxstats
    Gammons on MLBN: Talked to AC, he's really excited. Wanted back. His kids wanted to back. Daughter going to school in Boston. Bloom took a lot of time sorting this all out. Phone blowing up with happy players. MLB told Gammons Cora was most honest about Houston. Credit Bloom.

Goes on to say the Sox have money to spend, will be building up, but don't expect them to sign one of the qualifying offered players (Bauer, Springer, Gausman, Realmuto).

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If Jimy managed with the same playoff structure as Morgan, he never would have made the post-season....
    jaycutlerdontcare.gif

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Darrell Johnson 6-4, Farrell 12-11, Mac 7-7, Little 6-6, Dick Williams 3-4, Kennedy 0-3
    None of that changes my mind.

The question was why do I prefer Jimy over Morgan. I answered. Those Morgan teams all ended with a thud. Jimy at least gave us some good fall memories.

Johnny Mac came close to being a popular Red Sox manager...
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Johnny Mac came close to being a popular Red Sox manager...
    Don't make 9 year old MVP tear up again...

He owned his part in the cheating scandal, and more important, did not throw anyone under the bus (unlike nearly everyone else involved), he's smart and he treated everyone--players, fans and reporters--with respect (some posters--not me in this case-- brought politics into the thread--gee, I wonder if there is an analogy there ...)
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Doesn't mean we'll instantly be good again
    It will help them get good again and it should ensure that Bogaerts and Devers remain with the Red Sox. They both love AC. That is important to the future of the team.

Yep! You nailed it. Whatever mistakes he's made, if the players are happy about it, that means everything!

I'm ok with the fact that the Sox may have a few rough years on this re-build. I can deal with a team on the mend, scrapping for every win. I just want to see them scrapping again. Giving their all for a guy they believe in.

One possible signal here? Does anybody think that Cora takes this job without the promise of something to work with? To me, it signals that ownership and management are going to make some moves to give Cora a legit shot at a rotation and lineup that has a legitimate shot at being competitive. No. Blockbuster deals are almost certainly off the table, but I have to believe that they will do their best to make some reasonable moves to give Cora a shit at being a legitimate underdog competitor.

I'm good with that!
    RedSoxDirtdog 19
    Calm down. I've been tamed.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sox75 View Post
    Yep! You nailed it. Whatever mistakes he's made, if the players are happy about it, that means everything!

I'm ok with the fact that the Sox may have a few rough years on this re-build. I can deal with a team on the mend, scrapping for every win. I just want to see them scrapping again. Giving their all for a guy they believe in.

One possible signal here? Does anybody think that Cora takes this job without the promise of something to work with? To me, it signals that ownership and management are going to make some moves to give Cora a legit shot at a rotation and lineup that has a legitimate shot at being competitive. No. Blockbuster deals are almost certainly off the table, but I have to believe that they will do their best to make some reasonable moves to give Cora a shit at being a legitimate underdog competitor.

I'm good with that!
    My guess is that management spoke to Cora about the strategy they want to pursue to build a consistently competitive team, but I would doubt they would promise to go after specific players, whether in trade of through the FA process. Cora is especially good with Latino players and we know how many of those are in the majors these days. Having him in place is a help as the team decides who to keep, trade away and for and who will be on the 40 man. He should complement Bloom and they should make an effective team. I am glad that this is settled since we have free agency in process and the Rule 5 draft will need to be settled by Nov 20th and the non-tender deadline Dec 2nd. I don't expect the Sox to make rash moves under Bloom and now Cora.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    He owned his part in the cheating scandal, and more important, did not throw anyone under the bus (unlike nearly everyone else involved), he's smart and he treated everyone--players, fans and reporters--with respect (some posters--not me in this case-- brought politics into the thread--gee, I wonder if there is an analogy there ...)
    Come on! The nerve that anyone could think Manfred's investigative report last winter had anything to do with politics...