Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Off-Season - Other Teams

Deity
    I don't think I am going out on a very weak limb when I state I am pretty sure Adam Duvall is the first player ever to finish third in HRs in his league and then be non-tendered in the following off-season...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I don't think I am going out on a very weak limb when I state I am pretty sure Adam Duvall is the first player ever to finish third in HRs in his league and then be non-tendered in the following off-season...
    Probably true, but the Rays did non tender Dickerson after 27 HRs (T23rd) in 2017 then Cron after 30 Hrs in 2018 (T12th in AL).

Duvall is a legitimate HR hitter, but with the shortened season, these kinds of statements need an asterisk.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    The Rangers signed Joe Gatto to a Major League deal.

Does this mean he's leaving Impractical Jokers?

MLBTR reports:

The Rockies announced that they have acquired left-hander Yoan Aybar from the Red Sox for infielder Christian Koss. Aybar, now 23, didn’t produce much as an outfielder through 2017, which led the Red Sox to move him to the mound. With a fastball that can reach triple digits, Aybar pitched to a 4.61 ERA with 11.1 K/9 and 6.5 BB/9 in 56 2/3 innings between the Single-A and High-A levels in 2019. Koss, who will turn 23 in January, was a 12th-round pick of the Rockies in 2019 who hasn’t gotten past rookie ball. He did perform very well there during his first pro season, though, as he slashed .332/.447/.605 with 11 home runs in 238 plate appearances.

Looks like we freed up a 40 man roster slot- not that we really needed to.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    MLBTR reports:

The Rockies announced that they have acquired left-hander Yoan Aybar from the Red Sox for infielder Christian Koss. Aybar, now 23, didn’t produce much as an outfielder through 2017, which led the Red Sox to move him to the mound. With a fastball that can reach triple digits, Aybar pitched to a 4.61 ERA with 11.1 K/9 and 6.5 BB/9 in 56 2/3 innings between the Single-A and High-A levels in 2019. Koss, who will turn 23 in January, was a 12th-round pick of the Rockies in 2019 who hasn’t gotten past rookie ball. He did perform very well there during his first pro season, though, as he slashed .332/.447/.605 with 11 home runs in 238 plate appearances.

Looks like we freed up a 40 man roster slot- not that we really needed to.
    Koss is an interesting case. He appears to have mashed in Rookie Ball better than he did in college...

Koss is an interesting case. He appears to have mashed in Rookie Ball better than he did in college...
    Not bad, then, for Aybar, who I had us DFA'ing at some point, soon.

Deity
    Not bad, then, for Aybar, who I had us DFA'ing at some point, soon.
    There was a clear goal of opening a 40 man roster spot. While they could have released any number of players, Aybar was in an extremely small subset of the expendable players who could have gotten anything in a trade. I think that subset is now basically just Chatham...

You guys amaze me with your interest in the roster minutiae.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

There was a clear goal of opening a 40 man roster spot. While they could have released any number of players, Aybar was in an extremely small subset of the expendable players who could have gotten anything in a trade. I think that subset is now basically just Chatham...
    I wasn't expecting we'd get anything for some of our bubble players, and for all we know, Koss might amount to squat.

He does seem to have promise, so I like getting something for someone I thought we'd just release.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    You guys amaze me with your interest in the roster minutiae.
    LOL.

I had a good comeback, but I'll leave well enough alone.

Deity
    I wasn't expecting we'd get anything for some of our bubble players, and for all we know, Koss might amount to squat.

He does seem to have promise, so I like getting something for someone I thought we'd just release.
    Some promise. But the numbers of a 21yo player in Rookie Ball shouldn't be taken too seriously just yet. In maybe 2 or 3 years if/when he reaches AA ball, we will see how he does...

LOL.

I had a good comeback, but I'll leave well enough alone.
    That was meant as a semi-compliment. I have my own obsession with baseball minutiae, but for some reason it's restricted to what happens in MLB games.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Some promise. But the numbers of a 21yo player in Rookie Ball shouldn't be taken too seriously just yet. In maybe 2 or 3 years if/when he reaches AA ball, we will see how he does...
    Exactly, but this fits right into my hopes that we get some promising non 40 man roster players for the scrubs we were about to release anyway.

Maybe none of these guys even get 1 PA in MLB, but it's nice to increase the amount of hopeful players in our system.

Deity
    Exactly, but this fits right into my hopes that we get some promising non 40 man roster players for the scrubs we were about to release anyway.

Maybe none of these guys even get 1 PA in MLB, but it's nice to increase the amount of hopeful players in our system.
    Especially if other GMs are equally hopeful about them...

MLBTR

Yankees third baseman Gio Urshela underwent surgery Friday to remove a bone chip from his right elbow, the team announced. He’ll need three months to recover.