Register now to remove this ad

Page 18 of 83 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @alexspeier
    Scouts have said that OF Jeisson Rosario's offensive potential is difficult to evaluate because of the infrequency with which he swings. He took all 6 pitches he saw to work a full-count walk in his first spring training AB.
    His K rates have been OK considering his age and level (just over 20% in A at age-18 and HiA at age-19). His walk rates are insanely high (over 16% in HiA), perhaps the better indicator. But B.B. rates aren’t sustainable across levels without offensive impact.
    Interesting to see a young hitter who likes to take walks.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Interesting to see a young hitter who likes to take walks.
    Good defense and a good idea of what the k zone looks like. He's definitely a guy that can bounce around for his career at the very least. It raises his floor a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Good defense and a good idea of what the k zone looks like. He's definitely a guy that can bounce around for his career at the very least. It raises his floor a bit.
    From what I've heard, it may be great defense. Let's hope the offense is not a drag.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

b
    From what I've heard, it may be great defense. Let's hope the offense is not a drag.
    Didn’t get to see game today vs ATL .I read Thad Ward struck out Albies and then hit a batter which he does from time to time then committed an error but got out of it with a pop up ? I really like this kid a lot upper 90s FB mid 90s cutter his breaking stuff is pretty good and has a good change .Without killing the kid what was everyone’s impression stuff wise today ? Again I’m very bias but would love opinions .

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    b

Didn’t get to see game today vs ATL .I read Thad Ward struck out Albies and then hit a batter which he does from time to time then committed an error but got out of it with a pop up ? I really like this kid a lot upper 90s FB mid 90s cutter his breaking stuff is pretty good and has a good change .Without killing the kid what was everyone’s impression stuff wise today ? Again I’m very bias but would love opinions .
    Here's the Albies AB:

https://twitter.com/redsoxstats/stat...76286273683458

He has great stuff. He's just young and has a ways to go. Fielding errors can be cleaned up over time. He's probably one of the top 5 Sox pitching prospects of the past 10 years, not that that's saying much.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Here's the Albies AB:

https://twitter.com/redsoxstats/stat...76286273683458

He has great stuff. He's just young and has a ways to go. Fielding errors can be cleaned up over time. He's probably one of the top 5 Sox pitching prospects of the past 10 years, not that that's saying much.
    Thankyou and ETA on Ward ? I’m really hoping we see him in September.

Ward seems to have bullpen also written all over him. Top end stuff, shit command
    Hal sucks

One of our big prospects go down, so does one of yours. Mata down with “triceps strain”, MRI pending

Deity
    @alexspeier
    Scouts have said that OF Jeisson Rosario's offensive potential is difficult to evaluate because of the infrequency with which he swings. He took all 6 pitches he saw to work a full-count walk in his first spring training AB.
    His K rates have been OK considering his age and level (just over 20% in A at age-18 and HiA at age-19). His walk rates are insanely high (over 16% in HiA), perhaps the better indicator. But B.B. rates aren’t sustainable across levels without offensive impact.
    There is always an exception, of course. Tony Phillips had a long career based on his ability to take walks, and his career .763 OPS was largely carried by his .374 OBP, which was far above his career .266 BA.

Now there has really only been one Tony Phillips in MLB history, so hoping Rosario is the second version is probably wishful thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    There is always an exception, of course. Tony Phillips had a long career based on his ability to take walks, and his career .763 OPS was largely carried by his .374 OBP, which was far above his career .266 BA.

Now there has really only been one Tony Phillips in MLB history, so hoping Rosario is the second version is probably wishful thinking...
    Rickey Henderson had some power, unlike Phillips, but his career OPS was fueled a lot by his OBP, and there was a big differential between his BA and OBP. Here are some others, too...

BA/ OBP Player SLG
    .267/.403 Henderson .408 (lower SLG than Phillips)
    .268/.399 Nick Johnson .441
    .273/.392 Phillips .409
    .286/.392 Dave Magadan .375
    .301/.392 Brett Butler .373
    .262/.399 Randy Milligan .413
    .283/.378 Tim Raines .405
    .289/.378 Knoblauch .406
    .270/.372 Q Veras .362 (very low SLG)
    .267/.368 M Lawton .417
    .290/.368 L Castillo .351

Deity
    Rickey Henderson had some power, unlike Phillips, but his career OPS was fueled a lot by his OBP, and there was a big differential between his BA and OBP. Here are some others, too...

BA/ OBP Player SLG
    .267/.403 Henderson .408 (lower SLG than Phillips)
    .268/.399 Nick Johnson .441
    .273/.392 Phillips .409
    .286/.392 Dave Magadan .375
    .301/.392 Brett Butler .373
    .262/.399 Randy Milligan .413
    .283/.378 Tim Raines .405
    .289/.378 Knoblauch .406
    .270/.372 Q Veras .362 (very low SLG)
    .267/.368 M Lawton .417
    .290/.368 L Castillo .351

Also the infamous Jose Offerman

.273 / .360 / .373

Rosario is going to be entirely dependent on his position. If he can stick in CF and play average defense, then a guy who can get on base and steal some bases is a plus. If he ends up a COF, then his skillset would be lessened because of the lack of power
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Rosario is going to be entirely dependent on his position. If he can stick in CF and play average defense, then a guy who can get on base and steal some bases is a plus. If he ends up a COF, then his skillset would be lessened because of the lack of power
    He's supposed to be a huge plus on D. Why say "average D?"

"Strong instincts and reads. Very quick first step. Really can go get it with great closing speed. Will make highlight-reel plays, fun to watch. Potential plus defender in center field. Above-average arm. Plenty for any outfield position. Speed and defense are known quantitites..."
    -soxprospects.com

If he’s average or better in CF, then his offensive skill set will be good, that’s all I’m saying

Mata with a slight UCL tear. Rest and rehab recommended, but these are more than 50-50 odds he ends up needing it fixed