Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Prospects

Never read Rob Bradford:

But the Red Sox need a full-time centerfielder for 2022 and as we sit here right now --
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Well how close are the Sox to competing?

The offense was actually not bad, despite awful seasons from Benintendi and Martinez. The pitching was horrible. But if/when ERod and Sale return, it gets better. Pivetta and Houck might make a decent back end. So they need a starter and some serious bullpen help, and figure out CF and 2b.

It’s not out of the realm of possibility that they are competitive next season. Especially when this off-season looks like one where most teams could be cost-cutting...
    If Sale and Erod were certainties for 4/1, I think you make a run at the playoffs. I think right now they are on the outside looking in.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If Sale and Erod were certainties for 4/1, I think you make a run at the playoffs. I think right now they are on the outside looking in.
    How far from being a competitor did you think the Sox were after their last place finish in 2012? Or their last place finish in 2015?

If they make some good pitching acquisitions, we'll feel better about our chances.

Who knows, maybe they'll sign Bauer.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

How far from being a competitor did you think the Sox were after their last place finish in 2012? Or their last place finish in 2015?
    This starting pitching staff is way more unsettled than it was in 2012. Sale will be out for half the season. ERod is a huge question mark due to COVID.

Maybe they grab Bauer and another starting pitcher? They would have to in order to compete. I just don't think Bloom is a Bauer guy. I think Bloom goes for more under the radar guys at this point. I don't see them making a big splash. I think they'll fill out the roster better than 2020, but they aren't going to go for the top 5 FA's. Maybe they splurge on Kim? Does signing Odorizzi and Hendriks make them championship contenders? IDK.

Beni and JD are two rather large question marks going into the season too.

If you told me that they won 2021 because of bounce back seasons from JD and Beni, while Verdugo puts up huge numbers and the pitching staff is top 10 I could see it. I could also see them struggling to be above .500.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    If they make some good pitching acquisitions, we'll feel better about our chances.

Who knows, maybe they'll sign Bauer.
    I look at it this way.

Between 2012 and 2019, the Sox finished in last place three times. In two of the following seasons, they came in first. They actually went from worst to first more often than they repeated the last place finish.

So if nothing else, we know it is possible. It's not like we looked at that 2012 team and thought "Hey, we're just a closer/starter/first baseman/whatever away". Especially after the Sox unloaded all those contracts in August...

Beni and JD are two rather large question marks going into the season too.

If you told me that they won 2021 because of bounce back seasons from JD and Beni, while Verdugo puts up huge numbers and the pitching staff is top 10 I could see it.
    I'm not all that optimistic about 2021, either. We'd need a lot to happen to make the playoffs and even more to be a top contender.

I do think some other factors could come into play that could boost our chances, beyond what you mentioned here (or instead of them).

Devers could be better than even his 2019 season.

Bogey could put up a monster year.

Dalbec is a bit of a wildcard, who could surprise.

There is not much on the pitching staff that jumps out and says, Maybe this guy could..., except maybe DHern & Houck.

We have to hope for incredible good luck with health, especially Sale, Eovaldi & ERod and that the vast majority of the players Bloom adds come through for us.

I think it will be a fun season to watch.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 11-13-2020 at 09:22 AM.
    Sox 4 Ever

I enjoyed watching 2020 so I bet I'll enjoy 2021 even more. (If 2020 went for a full 162 it would have been really rough though.)

I enjoyed watching 2020 so I bet I'll enjoy 2021 even more. (If 2020 went for a full 162 it would have been really rough though.)
    Agreed.

I'm thinking just having Cora back will make watching more enjoyable.
    Sox 4 Ever

Agreed.

I'm thinking just having Cora back will make watching more enjoyable.
    Success starts at the top. We've got Bloom, Cora, and Henry/Werner seem eager to keep spending and being a contender.

You can't ask for much more.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Success starts at the top. We've got Bloom, Cora, and Henry/Werner seem eager to keep spending and being a contender.

You can't ask for much more.
    In total agreement.

As a teacher who has worked at 4 different schools in 13 years and several companies outside the educational profession. The principal/boss makes a huge difference.
    Sox 4 Ever

Don't forget in 2022 that Noah Song will be a force -- his arm will have two years rest!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Don't forget in 2022 that Noah Song will be a force -- his arm will have two years rest!
    And he should light up the Carolina League...

And he should light up the Carolina League...
    He'll be in AA by the end of 2022. May even be pitching for Salem in 2021 depending on his commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    So, his years of team control will go into his 30's and all of his prime years.
    Sox 4 Ever