Register now to remove this ad

Page 46 of 83 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Prospects

I agree on Feltman.

The more I read about Mayer, the more I think he'll be our #1 prospect right away.

Casas is not really doing anything special. Downs has a .609 OPS and Duran in in the ML's now.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I agree on Feltman.

The more I read about Mayer, the more I think he'll be our #1 prospect right away.

Casas is not really doing anything special. Downs has a .609 OPS and Duran in in the ML's now.
    Longenhagen at Fangraphs has Mayer at #37 in his revised Top 100

Law has Mayer at #14 in his revised Top 50

Mayer was duking it out with Davis for the top of the draft board - him being the Sox top prospect right away seemed straightforward.

Casas hanging solidly at AA at his age is doing pretty well though it'd be nice to see the power more. Jimenez is the wild card of the group if he can make some more solid contact. He's an electric athlete who just needs to square up the ball mo' better.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Longenhagen at Fangraphs has Mayer at #37 in his revised Top 100

Law has Mayer at #14 in his revised Top 50

Mayer was duking it out with Davis for the top of the draft board - him being the Sox top prospect right away seemed straightforward.

Casas hanging solidly at AA at his age is doing pretty well though it'd be nice to see the power more. Jimenez is the wild card of the group if he can make some more solid contact. He's an electric athlete who just needs to square up the ball mo' better.
    I've always been high on Jimenez.

So, do we see this, assuming Duran and Houck both graduate this year?

1. Mayer
    2. Casas
    3. Jimenez
    4. Bello
    5. Downs
    6. Seabold
    7. Yorke
    8. A Ramirez
    9. Groome
    10. Fabian/Mata/Song

Legend
    I've always been high on Jimenez.

So, do we see this, assuming Duran and Houck both graduate this year?

1. Mayer
    2. Casas
    3. Jimenez
    4. Bello
    5. Downs
    6. Seabold
    7. Yorke
    8. A Ramirez
    9. Groome
    10. Fabian/Mata/Song

I'd probably still put Downs at #3. He is struggling a bit at AAA but AAA at his age is still quite good and I have not read anybody who has gone out on him. Downs has largely been seen as a "high probability" prospect more than a high ceiling one anyway. Downs still looks like a guy with a very good chance to be an average starter at 2B. It's not sexy but plenty to be the #3 prospect still. And Duran probably should still be in the rankings while he has his rookie eligibility.
    Last edited by sk7326; 07-24-2021 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    I'd probably still put Downs at #3. He is struggling a bit at AAA but AAA at his age is still quite good and I have not read anybody who has gone out on him. Downs has largely been seen as a "high probability" prospect more than a high ceiling one anyway. Downs still looks like a guy with a very good chance to be an average starter at 2B. It's not sexy but plenty to be the #3 prospect still. And Duran probably should still be in the rankings while he has his rookie eligibility.
    My placement of Downs was more about me liking Bello than disliking Downs. I can see Jimenez below Downs.

Jeter Downs, who will turn 23 on Tuesday, has a .595 OPS in AAA, striking out 31% while walking 8%.

Jonathan Arauz, who is a few days younger than Downs (Arauz will turn 23 in early August), has a .677 OPS in AAA, striking out 17% while walking 11%.

Sea Dogs win in 10.

Sale 3.2 IP and 6 hits 2 ER (1 HR and three 2Bs)
    9 Ks out of 11 outs.
    0 BB

Rosario and Granberg 3-5
    Reed, Fitzgerald and Castellanos with HRs

Worcester was 2 hit and lost 3-0.
    Nothing much to report.

T Reed is another rule 5 guy we got from the Yanks. He's been doing very well.

He needs to be protected or possibly lost to rule 5 again.

Sox OPS on the Farm (180+ ABs)

1.000 Tyreque Reed
    .989 Devlin Granberg
    .938 Joey Meneses
    .931 Joe Davis
    .926 Jarren Durran
    .900 Tyler Dearden
    .892 Ryan Fitzgerald
    .871 Pedro Castellanos
    .857 Brandon Howlett
    .845 Marcus Wilson
    .843 Stephen Scott
    .791 Nick Yorke
    .791 Nick Sogard
    .780 Yairo Munoz

Notables: (ABs)
    .979 Mieses (167)
    .955 Cordero (167)
    .886 Cottam (153)
    .820 Ockimey (147)
    .801 Chavis (95)
    .777 Casas (170)
    .723 R Hernandez
    .711 Jimenez (248)
    .687 Potts (121)
    .670 Arauz (181)
    .636 Rosario (223)
    .623 Lugo (255)
    .550 Wong (101)

Not counting tonight's games.

Yorke
    May OPS 483
    June OPS 953
    July OPS 1015

He was one of those guys that hadn't played a meaningful game in a long time due to injury and COVID. It's not surprising that he started off slow, but he's really kicked it into high gear.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Do they keep Lugo and Yorke together for this season or do they bump Yorke up to Greenville at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Do they keep Lugo and Yorke together for this season or do they bump Yorke up to Greenville at some point?
    Yorke gets to Greenville, I think. Does he get meaningful playing time soon or more of a last week promotion? I have no clue.

I trust Sox management to know when promotions are due, but I always feel like I want players doing very well moved up quickly.

I trust Sox management to know when promotions are due, but I always feel like I want players doing very well moved up quickly.
    A high reward guy like that should be pushed as fast as he's able to be pushed. If he's up in POR mashing next year and Downs is still struggling in AAA, does Yorke make it to the bigs before Downs?

A high reward guy like that should be pushed as fast as he's able to be pushed. If he's up in POR mashing next year and Downs is still struggling in AAA, does Yorke make it to the bigs before Downs?
    I'd say yes. If Downs keeps struggling, he may never make the bigs.

I don't think guys should be pushed, that's not very nice and violence is never the answer.

Ok,but, I think it's more of a function of guys showing you they're ready. The Sox never pushed Mookie, he just started mashing and they really had no choice but to push him. Guys will tell you when they're ready and it's not all stats, there's other things they're looking at too but if a guy is putting up video game stats for a long duration it's hard to imagine what else they could ever learn at a level.

I don't think Yorke gets to the majors before Downs. He's in low, not high A. He still has to get to Greenville, Portland, and Worcester before reaching Boston while Downs just has to get up to the next level. Even if Downs is a bust I could still see him getting the majors sooner if a guy gets injured or they need the depth option on a bench role. Downs will likely be added to the 40 man by year's end so, you probably see him in some capacity next season. York, if he mashes, I don't think you see him in 2022. The earliest we see Yorke is mid-2023 I think. But I could be wrong.