Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 83 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Prospects

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not sure that is a reason to create two separate lists, but that looks like the reason.
    Well, it is a list of the largest signing bonuses given to IFA. As neither Daisuke nor Okajima - both of whom went through a posting process for exclusive rights as well as hefty sums for their former teams - did not receive an actual signing bonus, they are not on the list.

If the list included draft picks, Rick Asadoorian might be on it. Remember him? Sox gave him a ton of money (like $6mill, I think) out of high school and he wound up being a career minor leaguer for 12 years...
    Last edited by notin; 01-16-2021 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Well, it is a list of the largest signing bonuses given to IFA. As neither Daisuke nor Okajima - both of whom went through a posting process for exclusive rights as well as hefty sums for their former teams - did not receive an actual signing bonus, they are not on the list.
    Well, they were international free agents, and they ended up making way more money than many on that list, so it just made me wonder why the need for a separate list.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Baseball America Top 100 Ranking:

@alexspeier
    Red Sox prospects Triston Casas at 48, Jeter Downs at 71, Bobby Dalbec at 90.

Not surprising that nobody jumped up from the Sox system since there weren't any games to scout last year.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Baseball America Top 100 Ranking:

@alexspeier
    Red Sox prospects Triston Casas at 48, Jeter Downs at 71, Bobby Dalbec at 90.

Not surprising that nobody jumped up from the Sox system since there weren't any games to scout last year.
    Are you realistically hopeful our mid season rankings will improve?

Who might join the list, and who might move up significantly?

Deity
    Are you realistically hopeful our mid season rankings will improve?

Who might join the list, and who might move up significantly?
    Dalbec will drop off, mostly due to not actually playing minor league baseball. Maybe Mata can join the list if he gets off to a good start. Jay Groome is another possibility if he actually pitches..

Dalbec will drop off, mostly due to not actually playing minor league baseball. Maybe Mata can join the list if he gets off to a good start. Jay Groome is another possibility if he actually pitches..
    If Dalbec does great in the bigs, how can that make him drop, unless he becomes an ex-prospect due to having too many PAs?

I could see Downs moving up with a strong start to 2021. Casas doing well at the next level could move him up.

Duran, Houck and Ward are all 24, so I'm not sure, if they could crack the top 100 by mid season. (Seabold is 25.)

Mata does look like the best chance at adding a 4th player to the top 100.

Long shots: Jimenez (20), A Ramirez (19), Yorke (18) and maybe Groome (22), Rosario (21) or Jordon (18). (Potts 22/Lugo 19?)

My Sleeper pick: Bello (21)

Deity
    If Dalbec does great in the bigs, how can that make him drop, unless he becomes an ex-prospect due to having too many PAs?

I could see Downs moving up with a strong start to 2021. Casas doing well at the next level could move him up.

Duran, Houck and Ward are all 24, so I'm not sure, if they could crack the top 100 by mid season. (Seabold is 25.)

Mata does look like the best chance at adding a 4th player to the top 100.

Long shots: Jimenez (20), A Ramirez (19), Yorke (18) and maybe Groome (22), Rosario (21) or Jordon (18). (Potts 22/Lugo 19?)

My Sleeper pick: Bello (21)

My prediction was Dalbec would "drop off" the list by losing prospect status. I look at it again and realize I need to be clearer.

Also, it really does get hard to predict of a prospect will move up or down, because that can be heavily dependent on how other prospects perform. Downs could have a great season, and drop 5 places simply because 5 other prospects had better ones and passed him up. But that does not mean Downs himself took steps backwards...
    Last edited by notin; 01-19-2021 at 10:04 AM.

My prediction was Dalbec would drop off the list by losing prospect status...
    What's the amount of games or PAs needed to drop off the list?

Will he pass that amount by the mid season ranking time?

What's the amount of games or PAs needed to drop off the list?

Will he pass that amount by the mid season ranking time?
    Prospects - A player will generally graduate from prospect status once he exhausts his MLB "rookie" status." Rookie status is exhausted once a player: (1) has more than 130 at-bats in the majors; (2) has pitched more than 50 innings in the majors; (3) has been on an active major league roster for more than 45 days (not including September call-ups).

So Dalbec will graduate sometime in late April.

Deity
    Prospects - A player will generally graduate from prospect status once he exhausts his MLB "rookie" status." Rookie status is exhausted once a player: (1) has more than 130 at-bats in the majors; (2) has pitched more than 50 innings in the majors; (3) has been on an active major league roster for more than 45 days (not including September call-ups).

So Dalbec will graduate sometime in late April.
    That is for Rookie Status and eligibility for the ROY AWard.

Prospect status is really just open to the interpretation of the whatever website is doing the ranking, as there is no actual concrete defintion. (Baseball Aemrica notoriously ranks Japanese free agents on occasion for some reason, even one time putting Daisuke at #1 despite his numerous years as a professional pitcher.)

But I imagine by mid-season when they do their updates, Dalbec will have either established himself as a (semi?)regular MLB starter or been a flop who gets demoted. Either outcome should remove him from the list...

That is for Rookie Status and eligibility for the ROY AWard.

Prospect status is really just open to the interpretation of the whatever website is doing the ranking, as there is no actual concrete defintion. (Baseball Aemrica notoriously ranks Japanese free agents on occasion for some reason, even one time putting Daisuke at #1 despite his numerous years as a professional pitcher.)

But I imagine by mid-season when they do their updates, Dalbec will have either established himself as a (semi?)regular MLB starter or been a flop who gets demoted. Either outcome should remove him from the list...
    I grabbed that from SoxProspects. My guess is most places follow the same formula.

They should send Dalbec to AAA, so we can rise in the farm rankings.

Fans would be thrilled!

(Sarcasm alert)

Deity
    I grabbed that from SoxProspects. My guess is most places follow the same formula.
    Probably. But there is no actual definition of a "prospect". And it should be more than "eligible for Rookie of the Year" Award. At some point, age is also a factor. One would not consider 28yo Joey Meneses a prospect, but if he got called up, he would be eligible for the ROY...

Probably. But there is no actual definition of a "prospect". And it should be more than "eligible for Rookie of the Year" Award. At some point, age is also a factor. One would not consider 28yo Joey Meneses a prospect, but if he got called up, he would be eligible for the ROY...
    Seems that the definition is "eligible for ROY" but you just don't agree with it.