Best Slider: Tanner Houck

Best Changeup: Connor Seabold
    Best Control: Thad Ward
    Best Defensive Catcher: Kole Cottam
    Best Defensive Infielder: Matthew Lugo
    Best Infield Arm: Bobby Dalbec
    Best Defensive Outfielder: Jeisson Rosario
    Best Outfield Arm: Gilberto Jimenez
    While Duran seems to be getting most of the talk about OF help from the minors is justified, since he is much older than Jimenez & Rosario, don't be surprised if both end up better than Duran.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    While Duran seems to be getting most of the talk about OF help from the minors is justified, since he is much older than Jimenez & Rosario, don't be surprised if both end up better than Duran.
    Jimenez also has "elite speed", so he has the two tools that can't be taught. The fact that he won the NY-Penn batting title bodes well.

It's also encouraging to read about Lugo's defense, since his bat is supposedly what got him drafted (besides being Beltran's nephew).

Deity
    Arguably, the presence of Jimenez and Rosario makes potential Duran trade bait...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Arguably, the presence of Jimenez and Rosario makes potential Duran trade bait...
    Personally, I think Duran (and Chavis) are over rated. I have them as part of several of my suggested trades on the Trade Values site.

With a shallow OF system, I'm fine with keeping him, and I still have hopes he breaks through, but I think we will sign a CF'er, this winter- maybe a temporary fix, and see what Duran does next season.
    Sox 4 Ever

Personally, I think Duran (and Chavis) are over rated. I have them as part of several of my suggested trades on the Trade Values site.

With a shallow OF system, I'm fine with keeping him, and I still have hopes he breaks through, but I think we will sign a CF'er, this winter- maybe a temporary fix, and see what Duran does next season.
    Chavis reminds me of Dan Uggla. He might stick around for a few years and put up some good power numbers while striking out like crazy. I don't know if he is overrated, because I don't think anyone has a high opinion of him.

Duran has elite speed. He has good power, but watching him in BP in February it looks like he tries to pull everything and there might be some holes in his swing that need fixing.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Chavis reminds me of Dan Uggla. He might stick around for a few years and put up some good power numbers while striking out like crazy. I don't know if he is overrated, because I don't think anyone has a high opinion of him.

Duran has elite speed. He has good power, but watching him in BP in February it looks like he tries to pull everything and there might be some holes in his swing that need fixing.
    Agreed. My "over rated" comment was in regards to the value placed on these two players on the Trade Values website. I also think Chatham is too high. Last year, I felt the vastly over-rated Walden and Chavis.

Here is how the value our players:
    (Remember, the players years of control and salary are a big part of their value numbers.)

58 Verdugo
    34 Devers
    26 Downs
    22 Casas
    22 Bogey
    21 Vaz
    18 Dalbec
    13 DHern
    12 Mata
    12 Duran
    9.0 ERod
    8.5 Jimenez
    7.5 Chavis
    6.3 Yorke
    6.0 Jordan & Lugo
    5.5 Beni
    5.3 Houck
    4.9 Chatham
    4.7 Brasier
    4.5 Ward
    4.4 Potts
    3.8 Song
    3.6 Arroyo
    3.3 Taylor
    3.0 Murphy
    2.9 Wong

Other notables:
    2.6 Groome
    2.4 Pivett
    0.5 Mazza & Valdez
    0.0 Barnes & Brewer and Munoz, Plawecki, Walden & Weber

-11 Eovaldi
    -18 Sale
    -22 JD

Sox 4 Ever

Deity

Yeah I would consider Chavis to be trade bait as well, except that I don't see any teams getting all excited for him. Maybe in a salary dump deal, but not much else. His only real asset is that he works cheaply...

I heard that they revamped his swing by the time he got to Summer Camp. Maybe you'll see a different Duran in 2021 ST.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I heard that they revamped his swing by the time he got to Summer Camp. Maybe you'll see a different Duran in 2021 ST.
    Some thoughts on Duran.

The Sox do not have a lot of really good prospects that they can afford to keep dealing away, but they do have a fair amount of CF prospects with Duran, Jimenez and Rosario. (And Wilson, if you like him. Although I don't have hopes for his being anything beyond a 4th OF/pinch runner.) Duran is the only one who has played above A-ball, and is the highest ranking. And while there are no guarantees that Jimenez and/or Rosario amount to anything, does it put the Sox in a position where they can deal Duran to get a much more needed player (specifically a pitcher)?

The Sox should deal some prospects (not all, but some), and what ones would be deemed not only expendable but also desirable by another team?

I think you deal prospects if you are close to competing. I'm not sure they are quite there yet. I mean, maybe if you're trading for a young controllable pitcher?

If they traded any of those guys, I'm not sure I'd be up in arms at this point.

Yeah I would consider Chavis to be trade bait as well, except that I don't see any teams getting all excited for him. Maybe in a salary dump deal, but not much else. His only real asset is that he works cheaply...
    Yes, I see Chavis as being "added value" to a multiplayer deal. The fact that he can "play" 2B, 1B, 3B and maybe OF helps.
    Sox 4 Ever

Yes, I see Chavis as being "added value" to a multiplayer deal. The fact that he can "play" 2B, 1B, 3B and maybe OF helps.
    He's probably a better fit somewhere else. If he was LHH he'd be sticking around.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I think you deal prospects if you are close to competing. I'm not sure they are quite there yet. I mean, maybe if you're trading for a young controllable pitcher?

If they traded any of those guys, I'm not sure I'd be up in arms at this point.
    Well how close are the Sox to competing?

The offense was actually not bad, despite awful seasons from Benintendi and Martinez. The pitching was horrible. But if/when ERod and Sale return, it gets better. Pivetta and Houck might make a decent back end. So they need a starter and some serious bullpen help, and figure out CF and 2b.

It’s not out of the realm of possibility that they are competitive next season. Especially when this off-season looks like one where most teams could be cost-cutting...

Legend
    WEEI's Rob Bradford on Jarren Duran:

https://www.radio.com/weei/sports/re...uran-conundrum