Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Prospects

Back to Jimenez: has anyone actually seen him play in person? Speier lists him at 220 pounds, while Tomase lists him at 160 pounds. Both say he has elite speed. So is he Pablo or Pedey? At age 20, a kid is usually still growing...

In Kirby Puckett's rookie year he hit zero home runs in 538 at bats at age 24. Two years later he hit 31 bombs. He played, however, in that era... though he was more of a hitter than slugger, averaging 19 HRs but 209 hits in 12 seasons.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    He'll be in AA by the end of 2022. May even be pitching for Salem in 2021 depending on his commitment.
    Can we let him throw his first pitch before we promote him?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Can we let him throw his first pitch before we promote him?
    Let’s never post about anything in the future!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Back to Jimenez: has anyone actually seen him play in person? Speier lists him at 220 pounds, while Tomase lists him at 160 pounds. Both say he has elite speed. So is he Pablo or Pedey? At age 20, a kid is usually still growing...

In Kirby Puckett's rookie year he hit zero home runs in 538 at bats at age 24. Two years later he hit 31 bombs. He played, however, in that era... though he was more of a hitter than slugger, averaging 19 HRs but 209 hits in 12 seasons.
    I like what I hear about Jimenez, but no, I haven't seen any Sox prospects play since I went to a game in Portland, 3 years ago.

I'm no expert on prospects, but I think, when all is said and done, he ends up better than Duran.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Let’s never post about anything in the future!
    Well we don’t even have a return date yet.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Well we don’t even have a return date yet.
    We don’t even know next year’s roster so why talk about 2021?

I'm thinking a thread about prospects is generally going to be geared towards speculating on future possibilities.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    We don’t even know next year’s roster so why talk about 2021?
    Right because that is the same as putting a guy with 0 professional innings under his belt and no real known debut date in AA the season after next...

@redsoxstats
    The Red Sox signed Michael Gettys, who was one of the most interesting minor league FAs. He hit 31 HR in AAA in 2019 while playing a very good centerfield. Was once graded at 60 run, 70 arm, 60 field. Big issue that caused his slow slide down prospect rankings is strikeouts.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/mi...ts?position=OF

"Gettys’ tools are such that he might be Drew Stubbs, with plus power, a 70 arm and speed, but a hit tool that might not be playable in any capacity."

Former 2nd round pick. Could be an interesting guy?

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...michael-gettys

The Padres knew there were a lot of holes in Gettys’ powerful bat when they selected him after Trea Turner in 2014 and the swing-and-miss in Gettys’ game to date was reason enough to leave him off the 40-man roster and expose him to the Rule 5 draft this offseason. The strikeout numbers, however, have trended downward from 37.2 percent in A-ball in 2017 to 33.8 percent in 2018 in the Texas League to 30.5 percent in 2019. His 31 homers led the system, but the batting line, outside the slugging percentage, was largely underwhelming given the way the ball flew in the Pacific Coast League. Gettys can fly in center field and on the bases (he swiped as many as 33 bags in 2016) but the strikeouts limit what was once viewed considerable upside.

After repeating low Single-A Fort Wayne in 2016 and high Single-A Lake Elsinore in 2017, Gettys played 2018 at Double-A San Antonio and 2019 in the Pacific Coast League. Gettys, of course, has considerable work ahead of him if he’s going to bypass others in the organizational depth chart and jump to the majors. He received considerably less playing time in Cactus League play than other minor league outfielders invited to camp (like Taylor Trammell and Edward Olivares) and was just 1-for-10 in those at-bats. Gettys will also be a minor league free agent after the season and a productive year could set him up well in another organization without as much outfield depth as there is in San Diego.

@IanCundall
    I’ve talked to multiple evaluators who said the top pitcher at Red Sox fall instructs this year was 19-year-old right-handed pitcher Aldo Ramirez. Ramirez showed advanced feel and should stick as a starter. His fastball sat 92-95 and he mixed in a plus CH and average CB. Other pitchers may have better raw stuff, but Ramirez has a three pitch mix, strong command profile & knows how to pitch. He is deceptive & does a good job limiting hard contact, especially w/his CH. He’s got a back end starter projection right now, but there’s a chance for more. One thing to keep in mind also, while both Bryan Mata and Thaddeus Ward were on the instructs roster, neither threw in games so they weren’t considered here.

Great stuff, MVP!
    Sox 4 Ever

http://news.soxprospects.com/2020/11...e-eduardo.html

Bazardo looked good at instructs. Rosario and Groome did not.

In addition to bringing Gettys into the organization, the Red Sox also brought back a minor-league free agent of their own according to the linked transaction log above, re-signing left-handed pitcher Enmanuel De Jesus. De Jesus was signed by the Red Sox out of Venezuela back in 2013 and has made it as far in the system as High-A Salem. The 23-year-old (he’ll turn 24 in a few weeks) spent all of 2019 in Salem, pitching to a 3.58 ERA over 130 2⁄3 innings with 122 strikeouts and 42 walks. There’s not a huge ceiling here, but the potential for an up-and-down depth starter certainly exists if things progress well. Expect him to start 2021 at Double-A Portland.

http://news.soxprospects.com/2020/11...e-eduardo.html

Bazardo looked good at instructs. Rosario and Groome did not.
    Judging by this review, we'd better protect Bazardo... if only to prevent Cashie and the Rays from nabbing him.