Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Man Who Saved the PGA Tour

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It just strikes me as odd that someone can watch a baseball game and think "this is too slow" but then watch a golf match and not think the same thing.
    It's all in the presentation. On a golf telecast they might be following 10 different players on different holes. Pretty much as soon as one guy hits his shot, they switch to another guy. Or if somebody who's not in contention gets a hole-in-one they'll show that. The coverage is specifically designed not to have a lot of dead time. Although they do have these boring segments where talking heads analyze what's going on.

As with most sports, I make extensive use of my DVR.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Golf is actually a " niche" sport. But it is a pretty good sized niche . And a niche that has money. Not that it is only for the country club set , but most of those who play are pretty well off. And as noted before, you can play it even as you get too old to play other sports. Very difficult to compare it to baseball , which definitely has some problems of it's own.
    AS far as the niche thing goes, who has been the best known athlete in the world over the 20 plus years?

It has to be Tiger Woods.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    AS far as the niche thing goes, who has been the best known athlete in the world over the 20 plus years?

It has to be Tiger Woods.
    I think that he is one possible answer, but it all depends on what you mean by “best athlete”.

If you mean “most dominant in his sport,” Woods is in the argument. If you mean “has the widest array of elite athletic skill”, he drops much further down the list...

I think that he is one possible answer, but it all depends on what you mean by “best athlete”.

If you mean “most dominant in his sport,” Woods is in the argument. If you mean “has the widest array of elite athletic skill”, he drops much further down the list...
    "Best known athlete", not "best athlete", Mr. Magoo LOL

Deity
    "Best known athlete", not "best athlete", Mr. Magoo LOL
    See why I can't hit fastballs anymore.

Although maybe one could say a good argument for best known athlete in the world could be made for Cristiano Ronaldo...

See why I can't hit fastballs anymore.

Although maybe one could say a good argument for best known athlete in the world could be made for Cristiano Ronaldo...
    It's probably between those two, then.

Golf is actually a " niche" sport. But it is a pretty good sized niche . And a niche that has money. Not that it is only for the country club set , but most of those who play are pretty well off. And as noted before, you can play it even as you get too old to play other sports. Very difficult to compare it to baseball , which definitely has some problems of it's own.
    When I'm 50, I'll take a round of golf over a beer league softball game any day

It's probably between those two, then.
    LeBron James, Lionel Messi, Kobe Bryant (especially since he died) come to mind in addition to Ronaldo and Tiger, both of whom I agree with

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    LeBron James, Lionel Messi, Kobe Bryant (especially since he died) come to mind in addition to Ronaldo and Tiger, both of whom I agree with
    All good choices. Federer also leaps to mind.

Tiger Woods is one guy I’m surprised has never hosted SNL...

Sometimes an athlete can become so big , so charismatic, so famous , that they can transcend their sport . Tiger Woods is a household name to people who might not be able to name five other golfers. Boxing has gradually lost many fans over the years , but Muhammad Ali became probably the most famous athlete worldwide of all time. People knew of and loved Ali although they probably had no idea at all who the lightweight champion was. On the other hand , Mike Trout is a truly great baseball player , but he will never attain that kind of popularity.

Sometimes an athlete can become so big , so charismatic, so famous , that they can transcend their sport . Tiger Woods is a household name to people who might not be able to name five other golfers. Boxing has gradually lost many fans over the years , but Muhammad Ali became probably the most famous athlete worldwide of all time. People knew of and loved Ali although they probably had no idea at all who the lightweight champion was. On the other hand , Mike Trout is a truly great baseball player , but he will never attain that kind of popularity.
    Probably because Mike Trout is overrated

Deity
    Muhammed Ali had a Saturday morning cartoon. Even Tiger woods never had one of those...