Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 162 Game Suspension for Robinson Cano for PED Violation

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuP09m62sVs

It's been all downhill for baseball ever since they popped Pete Rose.

In 87, everyone knew people were using roids, but nobody cared. Baseball was fun.

Bart Giamatti ruined baseball. Even God knew this by smiting him a few days later.
    Getting rid of steroids was the right move. When it all started, the idea was to prevent younger kids from thinking it was the only way to make it. Sadly, it turned into a referendum on Hall of Fame caliber players and their worthiness. MLB and MLBPA needs to find another means to demotivate younger playrs from using PEDs...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The mantra was "Doctored baseballs = fine. Corked bats = cheating." The guy who basically made cheating really bad was bat stuffer Albert Belle, because he was such an intolerable human being. THere were dozens of stories about his bats and the suspicions, and there was the awesome Jason Grimsley story about swapping Belle's confiscated bat. If he had been nicer, it might not have been so frowned upon. (And Grimsley might have learned something about avoiding cheating rather than have his own HGH scandal.)

Of course, then Canseco spilled the beans and we learned what Jayson Stark summed up very well. "Fans don't like cheating if it leads to more home runs."
    Belle was a scary dude. He was great for baseball though. You need players like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Getting rid of steroids was the right move. When it all started, the idea was to prevent younger kids from thinking it was the only way to make it. Sadly, it turned into a referendum on Hall of Fame caliber players and their worthiness. MLB and MLBPA needs to find another means to demotivate younger playrs from using PEDs...
    The fact that they let roids ride for well over a decade before they said or did anything drives me crazy.

I don't believe it had anything to do with "the kids."
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The fact that they let roids ride for well over a decade before they said or did anything drives me crazy.

I don't believe it had anything to do with "the kids."
    That was the public statements about the policy.

And since an increased number of high school and college ballplayers were taking them, it was a good idea to stop sending the message they were necessary...