Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 162 Game Suspension for Robinson Cano for PED Violation

Playing devils advocate here...any chance that he unknowingly took a supplement? I dont know much about steroids & supplements but I find it unbelievable that 2 yrs after getting caught he does it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Sadler was short View Post
    Playing devils advocate here...any chance that he unknowingly took a supplement? I dont know much about steroids & supplements but I find it unbelievable that 2 yrs after getting caught he does it again.
    I'll assume that he it was deliberate and offer my own speculations:

1) The temptation is too difficult to resist; and
    2) He may have been under the belief that it was something not detectable, or it was masked or whatever.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

How often does one of these guys admit that they were cheating and they got caught? It is more convenient to say that their protein shake must have somehow been contaminated with Nandrolone. It is kind of hard to believe that they were not cheating all along and finally got nailed. Especially when it is their second offense. I guess they felt that the reward was worth the risk.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    How often does one of these guys admit that they were cheating and they got caught? It is more convenient to say that their protein shake must have somehow been contaminated with Nandrolone. It is kind of hard to believe that they were not cheating all along and finally got nailed. Especially when it is their second offense. I guess they felt that the reward was worth the risk.
    $240 million vs. maybe not getting into Cooperstown? I’d say that huge reward was worth the minimal risk.

The league should void contracts of players who test positive. Let 38yo Robinson Cano try to get another 4 year $96 mill contract so he actually has something at risk...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    $240 million vs. maybe not getting into Cooperstown? I’d say that huge reward was worth the minimal risk.

The league should void contracts of players who test positive. Let 38yo Robinson Cano try to get another 4 year $96 mill contract so he actually has something at risk...
    Would that turn every juicer back into a free agent? Not that the team losing a key guy to suspension doesn't have to radically alter their roster and plans going forward...

But I believe in a free and fair election to the Hall of Fame, as long as voters count every legal PED: multi-vitamins, coffee, 5-hour Energy, protein bars (maybe), shots of Jack Daniels, oatmeal stout, Mounds bars (for pitchers), Lindor chocolate (for shortstops)...

I doubt that'll be in the next CBA.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Would that turn every juicer back into a free agent? Not that the team losing a key guy to suspension doesn't have to radically alter their roster and plans going forward...

But I believe in a free and fair election to the Hall of Fame, as long as voters count every legal PED: multi-vitamins, coffee, 5-hour Energy, protein bars (maybe), shots of Jack Daniels, oatmeal stout, Mounds bars (for pitchers), Lindor chocolate (for shortstops)...
    Are they going to kick out all the guys in the 70's who were doing greenies?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I doubt that'll be in the next CBA.
    I am 100% positive it won't be...

Deity
    Are they going to kick out all the guys in the 70's who were doing greenies?
    At a minimum, they need to kick out Gaylord Perry....

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post

If MLB and the MLBPA are serious about getting rid of PEDs, they need to make the penalties financial. you're not discouraging players from cheating their way to six figure contracts by penalizing them with a tainted legacy and the ability to keep every contractual dollar.

One posssibility might be to have every player who tyests positive (with X amount of re-tests to make sure it is not a false positive) is to make them play out the remainder of the current contract for the leaque minimum, or to deny arbitration/raises for players in their first 6 seasons, and make them play all the way to free agency for the league minimum.

I bet you would see a massive drop in PED usage at that point. At least in the Majors. Minor leaguers still have nothing to lose.

The owners would likely be all for it, but the MLBPA would balk. And they would be wrong to do so, because it gives the appearance that they promote PED usage in order to secure more money, which is exactly the opposite message MLB needs to be sending...

I doubt he was the only pitcher in the HOF who doctored the baseball, though.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Back in the 80's, Perry's cheating was cute and endearing. It was never shown as being nefarious on This Week in Baseball.

Clay using Bullfrog on his arm wasn't seen that way. And what Clay was doing made it safer for the hitters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuP09m62sVs

It's been all downhill for baseball ever since they popped Pete Rose.

In 87, everyone knew people were using roids, but nobody cared. Baseball was fun.

Bart Giamatti ruined baseball. Even God knew this by smiting him a few days later.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I doubt he was the only pitcher in the HOF who doctored the baseball, though.
    He's the only one who openly admitted it and gave the illegal pitch top billing in his own autobiography. He basically mocked the rules and was allowed to get away with it...

Deity
    Back in the 80's, Perry's cheating was cute and endearing. It was never shown as being nefarious on This Week in Baseball.

Clay using Bullfrog on his arm wasn't seen that way. And what Clay was doing made it safer for the hitters.
    The mantra was "Doctored baseballs = fine. Corked bats = cheating." The guy who basically made cheating really bad was bat stuffer Albert Belle, because he was such an intolerable human being. THere were dozens of stories about his bats and the suspicions, and there was the awesome Jason Grimsley story about swapping Belle's confiscated bat. If he had been nicer, it might not have been so frowned upon. (And Grimsley might have learned something about avoiding cheating rather than have his own HGH scandal.)

Of course, then Canseco spilled the beans and we learned what Jayson Stark summed up very well. "Fans don't like cheating if it leads to more home runs."
    Last edited by notin; 11-20-2020 at 12:13 PM.