Register now to remove this ad

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: R.I.P Richie (Dick) Allen

  1. #1
    King of TalkSox a700hitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    66,895

    R.I.P Richie (Dick) Allen

    Dick Allen Passes Away

    By Steve Adams| December 7, 2020 at 4:34pm CDT

    In saddening news, the family of iconic slugger Dick Allen announced on Twitter that the seven-time Major League All-Star passed away at his home in Wampum, Pennsylvania this morning. He was 78.

    Allen, the 1964 National League Rookie of the Year with the Phillies and the 1972 American League MVP with the White Sox, was one of baseball’s most feared hitters at his peak. During an 11-year run from 1964-74, he clubbed 319 home runs in 6270 plate appearances while posting an overall batting line of .299/.386/.554 — good for a whopping 165 OPS+ and 163 wRC+.

    In what many consider to be a glaring snub, Allen was not voted into Cooperstown despite a remarkable career as one of the game’s most prominent sluggers. As Jay Jaffe detailed for Baseball Prospectus in 2017 and explained in September, racism negatively affected Allen throughout his career. Allen may very well have been inducted by the Veteran’s Committee this year had the vote not been delayed, as USA Today’s Bob Nightengale points out, though notes that he will be on the ballot again next year. He was honored by the Phillies earlier this summer when they retired his No. 15 in a well-deserved tribute. Owner John Middleton was one of the driving forces behind the decision.

    “The Phillies are heartbroken over the passing today of our dear friend and co-worker, Dick Allen,” the team said in a press release. “Dick will be remembered as not just one of the greatest and most popular players in our franchise’s history, but also as a courageous warrior who had to overcome far too many obstacles to reach the level he did. Dick’s iconic status will resonate for generations of baseball fans to come as one of the all-time greats to play America’s Pastime. He is now reunited with his beloved daughter, Terri. The Phillies extend their condolences to Dick’s widow, Willa, his family, friends and all his fans from coast to coast.”

    MLBTR joins the Phillies and those around the game in offering our condolences to Allen’s family, friends and fans.
    He could scorch a baseball, and I remember that he had a pretty good glove around 1B.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 12-07-2020 at 06:38 PM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The Sox will compete with the Jays.

  2. #2
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    40,852
    Should be HOF
    Building? Back up!

  3. #3
    HOF (Micro) Manager Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    15,000
    Most of the players that have died this year have reminded me that I'm still young, as I have never heard of most of them. Nice change of pace. RIP tho

  4. #4
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    38,730
    A great one!
    Sox 4 Ever

  5. #5
    King of TalkSox a700hitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    66,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Most of the players that have died this year have reminded me that I'm still young, as I have never heard of most of them. Nice change of pace. RIP tho
    Sure, rub our faces in the fact that you are young!

    The fact that the stars from the 60's and 70's are dropping like flies makes me feel old and reminds me that I should be getting more regular Doctor's checkups.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The Sox will compete with the Jays.

  6. #6
    HOF (Micro) Manager Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    15,000
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Sure, rub our faces in the fact that you are young!

    The fact that the stars from the 60's and 70's are dropping like flies makes me feel old and reminds me that I should be getting more regular Doctor's checkups.
    Earlier this fall, when I realized that most HS sophomores weren't alive when the Sox won the 04 World Series, that made me feel old. It all evens out

  7. #7
    Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.

  8. #8
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    40,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Most of the players that have died this year have reminded me that I'm still young, as I have never heard of most of them. Nice change of pace. RIP tho
    Honestly, he only played one season after I was born so he wasn't a guy I really had heard of until recent years. For whatever reason, he flew under the HOF radar for a long while. I read Jay Jaffe's book "The Cooperstown Casebook" and he give some solid evidence as to why Allen should be inducted as well as some other names.
    Building? Back up!

  9. #9
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    22,465
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Honestly, he only played one season after I was born so he wasn't a guy I really had heard of until recent years. For whatever reason, he flew under the HOF radar for a long while. I read Jay Jaffe's book "The Cooperstown Casebook" and he give some solid evidence as to why Allen should be inducted as well as some other names.
    A career OPS+ of 156 and an OPS of .912 after 15 seasons.7 All Star appearances and 1 MVP award.

    You don't need deep analytics to make a Cooperstown Case for Allen.

    The Bill James Hall of Fame Monitor gives him a score of 99, which ranks 171st all time, but also places him 1 point behind Hall of Famer Pee Wee Reese and tied with Hall of Famers Zack Wheat, Jim Bottomley, and Joe Kelley. And ahead of numerous other Hall of Famers...

  10. #10
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    38,730
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    A career OPS+ of 156 and an OPS of .912 after 15 seasons.7 All Star appearances and 1 MVP award.

    You don't need deep analytics to make a Cooperstown Case for Allen.

    The Bill James Hall of Fame Monitor gives him a score of 99, which ranks 171st all time, but also places him 1 point behind Hall of Famer Pee Wee Reese and tied with Hall of Famers Zack Wheat, Jim Bottomley, and Joe Kelley. And ahead of numerous other Hall of Famers...
    He put up those numbers in a time when offense wasn't always all that great, including 1968, when he had an .872 OPS. He led the league in OPS 4 times and OPS+ 3 times. H had an OPS+ over 160, seven times!

    HOF'er.
    Sox 4 Ever

  11. #11
    He swung a 40-ounce bat and once used it to hit two inside-the-park homers in one game. Those facts are hard to fathom for few ballplayers, much less human beings (and even ballplayers who are much less than human beings).

  12. #12
    King of TalkSox a700hitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    66,895
    He swung a bat that was as big as a tree trunk.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 12-09-2020 at 04:25 PM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The Sox will compete with the Jays.

  13. #13
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    38,730
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    He swung a bat that was as if as a tree trunk.
    It was a tree trunk!
    Sox 4 Ever

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •