Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrible terrible choice not to go hard after Morton .Lose out on Springer I’m out !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'm not sure it's a good idea to count on it. Every team needs pitching.
    I'm not saying don't sign anyone until bargain basement time, but I do think the quality of players, including pitchers, leftover will be better than usual.

I could see us signing a good mid ranged pitcher, like Ordozzi, Quintana, Tanaka or Paxton and maybe a decent CF'er or RP'er, then wait until near the end and swoop to sign 4-7 decent players.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    The OP in this thread is why we can't have nice things
    +100
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not saying don't sign anyone until bargain basement time, but I do think the quality of players, including pitchers, leftover will be better than usual.

I could see us signing a good mid ranged pitcher, like Ordozzi, Quintana, Tanaka or Paxton and maybe a decent CF'er or RP'er, then wait until near the end and swoop to sign 4-7 decent players.
    I agree with that assessment. So many names on the market this year that as long as you get one, you'll probably pick up a good name.

Not sure how I feel about Tanaka though. When his sinker stays up, there's no reason for me to think he's any different from Porcello

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I agree with that assessment. So many names on the market this year that as long as you get one, you'll probably pick up a good name.

Not sure how I feel about Tanaka though. When his sinker stays up, there's no reason for me to think he's any different from Porcello
    I just listed like-skilled starters. I'd prefer the others over Tanaka, too, but he's not a bad pitcher.
    Sox 4 Ever

I just listed like-skilled starters. I'd prefer the others over Tanaka, too, but he's not a bad pitcher.
    Yeah, I got what you meant. I also could never imagine Tanaka in Boston. I'd feel bad for him the first time we went to NYY

Players and agents are also well aware of the current economic realities and might be in a bigger hurry to sign this offseason, so some of the bargains might come earlier than expected.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Players and agents are also well aware of the current economic realities and might be in a bigger hurry to sign this offseason, so some of the bargains might come earlier than expected.
    Good point, and I was rather shocked to see Morton get $15M/1.
    Sox 4 Ever

I just posted something similar to this on the other thread. Maybe a '13 offseason strategy isn't so unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I just posted something similar to this on the other thread. Maybe a '13 offseason strategy isn't so unreasonable.
    I mentioned something about following a similar path as 2013 on another thread, too, but we I doubt we have the spending budget of that winter. Maybe not even half.
    Sox 4 Ever

I mentioned something about following a similar path as 2013 on another thread, too, but we I doubt we have the spending budget of that winter. Maybe not even half.
    But that may be enough to get things done, with this winter's market adjustments, as far as 2020 dollars affording 2020 players...

Yeah man, I'm all about blowing up the farm and the payroll to compete for 2nd place too.

Cool story.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    But that may be enough to get things done, with this winter's market adjustments, as far as 2020 dollars affording 2020 players...
    "Get things done" as in what? Compete for a wild card slot and maybe miss out?

We likely will spend less than half of what was spent before the 2013 season. We may have more high need areas than that team had going into the previous off season.

I can't see us getting highly competitive on a $15-25M spending budget. I can't see us trading away the future to get better for just now.

Unless Henry approves us going maybe $19M over the tax line for 2021, I'm thinking 2nd place may be wishful thinking.
    Sox 4 Ever

"Get things done" as in what? Compete for a wild card slot and maybe miss out?

We likely will spend less than half of what was spent before the 2013 season. We may have more high need areas than that team had going into the previous off season.

I can't see us getting highly competitive on a $15-25M spending budget. I can't see us trading away the future to get better for just now.

Unless Henry approves us going maybe $19M over the tax line for 2021, I'm thinking 2nd place may be wishful thinking.
    Fixing the holes where the rain gets in. But it won't stop our minds from wondering...

Bloom's MO is to continually upgrade, but gradually... when I read that about him, I envisioned him replacing a guy with -1 WAR to 0 WAR, and then eventually packaging that guy into a deal where he nets a player worth 1 WAR. Put it this way, there's little chance he's ever involved in one-fell transformative swoop or orchestrates a 17-player trade like the Yanks and O's pulled off in 1954.

There are always bound to be incremental changes, but waiting another five years for a Juan Soto trade (like Pete Abraham posed today) feels like half a decade from now.

Why George Springer? That is a move I expect the Mutts to make. Springer is a guy who's game, IMO, falls off a cliff 2-3 years into the deal and that is when the sox expect to contend again. Springer isnt a guy you go after. Bauer as well. When you sign those guys, you announce to the world that you are going to contend in the upcoming season, and I do not think the sox will
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Why George Springer? That is a move I expect the Mutts to make. Springer is a guy who's game, IMO, falls off a cliff 2-3 years into the deal and that is when the sox expect to contend again. Springer isnt a guy you go after. Bauer as well. When you sign those guys, you announce to the world that you are going to contend in the upcoming season, and I do not think the sox will
    If we sign Bauer, we might be closer to a contender than you think. Plus it would get the fans a little more interested. Plus it would be a multi-year signing, obviously.

Not saying that's what's going to happen, but if the Sox do make a splash signing, that'd be the one. Pitching, baby.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.