Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your realistic expectations of Chris Sale for the 2021 season?

What are your realistic expectations of Chris Sale for the 2021 season?

He was inconsistent two years ago, and missed all this year..... what are your expectations for him coming back?? I just hope he doesn’t completely suck, that is all lol.

Copied from another thread here:

@SmittyOnMLB
    Boston Red Sox’s Chris Sale projected for 2.97 ERA, 17 starts, 94 innings in 2021 in return from Tommy John surgery, per Bill James Handbook

Sure, why not?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

If he can come back and make 15 starts or so, feel healthy and resemble his former self, I'll take it 100%.

I don't expect greatness from Sale in 2021.

Something like 16 starts: 3.50 and 90 IP would be nice. I would not be surprised, if he comes back looking as sharp as ever. The guy is a fierce competitor.

I'm more hopeful about 2022 and

Chris Freakin' Sale!
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    He'll be back opening day completely rejuvenated.

31 starts. 279 IP. 838 K's.

(Plawecki made him work harder than one time by dropping a third strike.)

That he can be part of a team that plays 100 games or more. (Actually, I'm going to put that in the "hope" rather than the "realistic expectations" category).
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Legend
    Steamer projects Chris Sale with a 2021 ERA of 3.33 in 18 starts covering 103 innings.

ZiPS projects Chris Sale with a 2021 ERA of 3.26 in 24 starts covering 152 innings.

Marcel projects Chris Sale with a 2021 ERA of 3.96 in an unspecified number of starts covering 75 innings.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Steamer projects Chris Sale with a 2021 ERA of 3.33 in 18 starts covering 103 innings.

ZiPS projects Chris Sale with a 2021 ERA of 3.26 in 24 starts covering 152 innings.

Marcel projects Chris Sale with a 2021 ERA of 3.96 in an unspecified number of starts covering 75 innings.
    Marcel gets sent to the wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity

What is ZIPS thinking?

Not buying that a pitcher less than 14 months from Tommy John surgery is going to make 24 starts and average 6.1 IP per start. And if he does, is ZIPS projecting the date Cora gets fired?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    What is ZIPS thinking?
    Yeah, I think the ZIPS guys must have had their holiday party early.

Harm , Any word from Marcel on when the Mariners might get to the World Series ?

My realistic expectations are that even if Sale is full-steam ahead, they won't let him throw more than around 50 innings when he comes back in August and September. Best-case scenario gives him 5 starts of 5 IP for each month. But if Boston is about to win the World Series, Cora will let him fan Machado again to end it.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Harm , Any word from Marcel on when the Mariners might get to the World Series ?
    Perhaps within my lifetime ... or not.

In 2021 the Mariners threaten to finish with a better record than the Red Sox for the first time since ... well, since this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    My realistic expectations are that even if Sale is full-steam ahead, they won't let him throw more than around 50 innings when he comes back in August and September. Best-case scenario gives him 5 starts of 5 IP for each month.
    I'm not sure that's the "best case," but it could be what happens.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not sure that's the "best case," but it could be what happens.
    My best case is that Sale rebounds to become a 30-game winner (in '21 and '22 combined), but the title asked for "realistic".