Register now to remove this ad

View Poll Results: Who Should the Sox Have Play 2B?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ha Seong Kim

1 7.69%
  • DJ LeMahieu

4 30.77%
  • Cesar Hernandez

1 7.69%
  • Dee Strange-Gordon

0 0%
  • Jed Lowrie

0 0%
  • Logan Forsythe

0 0%
  • Addison Russell

0 0%
  • Jonathan Schoop

0 0%
  • Kolten Wong

1 7.69%
  • Someone Currently on the Roster

6 46.15%
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Should the Sox Have Play 2B in 2020?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I think Merrifield is over-valued.
    He is signed for 2 more years for a total of $10.5mill and has an option for a $10.5mill 3rd season. That's a good deal for a 4 fWAR player...

Legend
    I think Merrifield is over-valued.
    A Kansas City fan might find Bobby Dalbec, Jeter Downs and Jarren Duran overvalued.

Or not.
    Last edited by harmony; 12-08-2020 at 08:33 PM.

Legend
    I'm thinking we roll the dice with what we got, and if we are in the race, we may make an Ian Kinsler type move, next summer.

Nobody excites me, but the sheer quantity of second baseman on our roster could produce someone who is not a net minus.

Arroyo
    Chavis
    Munoz
    Chatham
    Arauz

I would start with Arroyo, who has a chance of filling the position on a long term basis or at least we get time to look at Jeter Downs. I say that because we have much greater needs in the pitching department and that is where the budget should be focused. Our second greatest need will be in the outfield. Besides center field questions, I have made no secret of my concern with Beni. We may need to replace two outfielder on a long term basis and it would be good to get one of those as a right hander power hitter.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    A Kansas City fan might find Bobby Dalbec, Jeter Downs and Jarren Duran overvalued.

Or not.
    But the neutral BTV trade simulator says it is an equal deal....

Deity
    I think the missing option here is Rougned Odor, whose contract Texas might entice the Sox to take and was also connected to Bloom/Sox in trade talks as recently as August...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I think the missing option here is Rougned Odor, whose contract Texas might entice the Sox to take and was also connected to Bloom/Sox in trade talks as recently as August...
    Wonder what a Lance Lynn & Odor trade might have looked like.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

He is signed for 2 more years for a total of $10.5mill and has an option for a $10.5mill 3rd season. That's a good deal for a 4 fWAR player...
    His contract is good for his production.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    His contract is good for his production.
    Which is why he is considered a valuable trade chip. KC really does need to move him...

Which is why he is considered a valuable trade chip. KC really does need to move him...
    Merrifield can hit, run, play the infield and outfield -- the kind of multi-purpose guy Bloom covets -- except that Whit is a proven MLB starting position player and top of the order man... something Chavis, Munoz and Arauz are not (yet), and Peraza and Lin were not (in Boston).

But the real reason to trade with KC is to pry pitching out of their young stable. The Sox position prospects may appeal to a (nother) rebuilding team.

Deity
    Wonder what a Lance Lynn & Odor trade might have looked like.
    Horrible

Why take on Odor's contract just to get one season of Lynn?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Merrifield can hit, run, play the infield and outfield -- the kind of multi-purpose guy Bloom covets -- except that Whit is a proven MLB starting position player and top of the order man... something Chavis, Munoz and Arauz are not (yet), and Peraza and Lin were not (in Boston).

But the real reason to trade with KC is to pry pitching out of their young stable. The Sox position prospects may appeal to a (nother) rebuilding team.
    I like Merrifield as a fit for the Sox and a lot of other teams. But as he is an underpaid player who provdes value, taking on his contract is not exactly the best method to get KC to throw in one of the promising younger arms. Now if you want to take Danny Duffy off their hands, maybe you can get them to something decent that would normally cost more..

Horrible

Why take on Odor's contract just to get one season of Lynn?
    Odor's contract isn't that bad, but if he can only play 2b, his lack of versatility in the field doesn't make it worth the risk. I'm not sure a one year deal for any trade makes sense to this year's team. They aren't quite contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Odor's contract isn't that bad, but if he can only play 2b, his lack of versatility in the field doesn't make it worth the risk. I'm not sure a one year deal for any trade makes sense to this year's team. They aren't quite contenders.
    The idea would be to get a valuable player added to the deal to offset the negative value of Odor, and if Odor wins the 2nd base job, we get a slight gain there, too.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

The idea would be to get a valuable player added to the deal to offset the negative value of Odor, and if Odor wins the 2nd base job, we get a slight gain there, too.
    Lance Lynn for one year doesn't help the Sox if they are on the outside looking in.

But you'd have to give up value for one year of Lynn, that's the issue.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.