Register now to remove this ad

View Poll Results: Who Should the Sox Have Play 2B?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ha Seong Kim

1 7.69%
  • DJ LeMahieu

4 30.77%
  • Cesar Hernandez

1 7.69%
  • Dee Strange-Gordon

0 0%
  • Jed Lowrie

0 0%
  • Logan Forsythe

0 0%
  • Addison Russell

0 0%
  • Jonathan Schoop

0 0%
  • Kolten Wong

1 7.69%
  • Someone Currently on the Roster

6 46.15%
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Should the Sox Have Play 2B in 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Lance Lynn for one year doesn't help the Sox if they are on the outside looking in.
    Agreed. One year of Lynn is not what this team needs. Adding Odor would not cancel out the need for us to add a valuable return piece to Texas.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    But you'd have to give up value for one year of Lynn, that's the issue.
    Agreed. See below.

Deity
    Odor's contract isn't that bad, but if he can only play 2b, his lack of versatility in the field doesn't make it worth the risk. I'm not sure a one year deal for any trade makes sense to this year's team. They aren't quite contenders.
    Odor's cotnract pays him $27.67 million over the next 2 seasons (with an option for a third). And he has been worth 2.3 fWAR over the last 3 seasons. His career fWAR numbers seem to have two distinct sets in his career. The early eyars hwere he was 2-2.5, and then the recent ones where he seems to be less than 0.5 more often. He will be 27 on opening day 2021, so there is some hope he can bounce back. But if the Sox do acquire him, that description is getting applied to far too many people in the lineup.

I would only take on that contract if the deal included Jose LeClerc, their closer who is owed $10.5 mill over the next 2 seasons (with options). The Rangers really have no other pitching they can and will deal. Per BTV, a package of Odor and LeClerc still combines for a negative trade value, so figuring out who goes back is a bit complicated, at least for me. Does Texas want quality? Potential? Or just happy dumping money?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Odor's cotnract pays him $27.67 million over the next 2 seasons (with an option for a third). And he has been worth 2.3 fWAR over the last 3 seasons. His career fWAR numbers seem to have two distinct sets in his career. The early eyars hwere he was 2-2.5, and then the recent ones where he seems to be less than 0.5 more often. He will be 27 on opening day 2021, so there is some hope he can bounce back. But if the Sox do acquire him, that description is getting applied to far too many people in the lineup.

I would only take on that contract if the deal included Jose LeClerc, their closer who is owed $10.5 mill over the next 2 seasons (with options). The Rangers really have no other pitching they can and will deal. Per BTV, a package of Odor and LeClerc still combines for a negative trade value, so figuring out who goes back is a bit complicated, at least for me. Does Texas want quality? Potential? Or just happy dumping money?
    I believe the hit against the lux tax is only 8.3M for Odor. I don't care about the cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

How about Groome & Chatham or Chavis for Odor & LeClerc plus some cash?

Agreed. See below.
    Or above.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

I believe the hit against the lux tax is only 8.3M for Odor. I don't care about the cash.
    Why should anyone?

Deity
    I only are about the cash in that it limits spending in other places.

I am not sure about the Sox budget this year and if the luxury tax is the only consideration or not. But if taking on Odor allows the Sox to also acquire another useful piece, I am not against it...

Deity
    How about Groome & Chatham or Chavis for Odor & LeClerc plus some cash?
    I wouldn't include Groome, but Texas probably jumps at that offer...

While Odor is owed $27M/2, assuming 3rd year option is declined and LeClerc is owed $15.5M/3, assuming his 4th year is declined, which it may not be, and the total is about $33M for the next 2-3 years, total, the luxury tax hit is only $11.9M combined. That really works great for the Sox.

We get our closer and a possible starting 2Bman. Even if we end up cutting Odor, eventually, $12M a year for a decent closer is okay.

I checked out the Trade values site and a Chatham & Groome for LeClerc & odor showed a net of 16 in the Ranger's favor. That could be made up for in a number of ways:

1. Some cash going to BOS, which would lessen the tax.
    2. Get a catcher in return and maybe trade Vaz:
    Huff C/1B value 16.7 (minors)
    Hernandez C/1B value 11.0 (minors)
    Trevino C value 2.9 (MLB pre-arb)
    3. Pitching prospect:
    Crouse 7.1
    Rodriguez 6.9
    4. ML pitcher:
    Palumbo 6.3 (LHP can start)
    Martin 5.6 (LHP)
    Cody 0.9 (RHP)

The site accepted:

Chatham & Groome for Leclerc, Odor, Hernandez & Martin

and

Chavis, Chatham & Groome for Leclerc, Odor + $5M, Hernandez & Crouse

and

Chavis & Groome for Leclerc, Odor +$7M & Hernandez

I wouldn't include Groome, but Texas probably jumps at that offer...
    I'd give Chavis & Chatham for Leclerc, Odor and Hernandez & $7M cash. The site accepted it.

I'd actually do it without the cash or Hernandez (maybe sub Trevino) or maybe just $3M ($1M a year).

I only are about the cash in that it limits spending in other places.

I am not sure about the Sox budget this year and if the luxury tax is the only consideration or not.
    I would suspect the tax is not the only consideration.

Changing my choice: the 2nd baseman will be Bogaerts... after the Sox trade for Francisco Lindor. If the argument against that idea is that shortstop is not an area of need, here's the counter: on a last place team, really good players are an area of need. This is the splash to put this franchise back in the spotlight.

Boston needs pitching, and free agent pitchers certainly consider a team's defense and a club's chances at winning when mulling offers. The Sox need better players in a lot of places to contend, and adding a new face of the franchise will show peers and fans alike they're serious (plus, keep a guy like Lindor from joining rivals).

Lindor will thrive under Cora, the Sox will extend him with some of the Mookie money (7 for 210), and invest the remaining hundred mil on starting pitchers and relievers... They can still afford a platoon centerfielder like Marisnick, and re-sign Moreland to share first with Chavis, while awaiting the debuts of Duran/Jimenez and Casas.

Cleveland reportedly wants a Betts-like return for Lindor, so the first to go in the deal would be Downs, and next would be Dalbec. The trade simulator approved this swap... but only after the Tribe also kicked in Carlos Carrasco, also rumored to be on the block. The block between Lansdowne Street and Renamed Street would welcome him, too.

Hey MVP, why didn’t you list Pedey as an option?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Hey MVP, why didn’t you list Pedey as an option?
    He did, "Someone currently on the roster."