Register now to remove this ad

View Poll Results: Who Should the Sox Have Play 2B?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ha Seong Kim

1 7.69%
  • DJ LeMahieu

4 30.77%
  • Cesar Hernandez

1 7.69%
  • Dee Strange-Gordon

0 0%
  • Jed Lowrie

0 0%
  • Logan Forsythe

0 0%
  • Addison Russell

0 0%
  • Jonathan Schoop

0 0%
  • Kolten Wong

1 7.69%
  • Someone Currently on the Roster

6 46.15%
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Should the Sox Have Play 2B in 2020?

Who Should the Sox Have Play 2B in 2020?

Should the Sox go with a guy currently on the roster or get a FA? If so, who?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I'm thinking we roll the dice with what we got, and if we are in the race, we may make an Ian Kinsler type move, next summer.

Nobody excites me, but the sheer quantity of second baseman on our roster could produce someone who is not a net minus.

Arroyo
    Chavis
    Munoz
    Chatham
    Arauz

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I'm thinking we roll the dice with what we got, and if we are in the race, we may make an Ian Kinsler type move, next summer.

Nobody excites me, but the sheer quantity of second baseman on our roster could produce someone who is not a net minus.

Arroyo
    Chavis
    Munoz
    Chatham
    Arauz

The only real standout names are Wong, LeMahieu and Kim. I don't seem them splurging on the first two. Maybe Kim can be an attractive piece? Do they believe in Downs enough to just wait for him? Maybe they just don't want a long term guy slotted in right now?
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The only real standout names are Wong, LeMahieu and Kim. I don't seem them splurging on the first two. Maybe Kim can be an attractive piece? Do they believe in Downs enough to just wait for him? Maybe they just don't want a long term guy slotted in right now?
    They can handle the Downs situation when the time comes. It's note like teams do not change the positions of top prospects at or near the majors to get them in the lineup. (Like moving Mookie to the outfield.) Heck if Bogaerts opts out, there is Downs' new position.

I do think they still opt for a COVID bargain, and two guys I like for that are Cesar Hernandez, who is criminally underrated every year by everyone, and Jonathan Schoop, who was Bogaerts' double play partner on the Netherlands National Team in the WBC...

Legend
    The list does not include free agent and former No. 1 prospect Jurickson Profar, who paired up with Xander Bogaerts on the Netherlands national team:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...longer-secret/

Profar is the 34th-ranked free agent at MLB Trade Rumors and the 35th-ranked prospect at FanGraphs:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...ions-2021.html

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-top-50-free-agents/

MLB Trade Rumors projects Profar with a one-year, $7 million contract while FanGraphs columnist Craig Edwards projects a two-year, $9 million contract. The FanGraphs crowdsource pegs Profar with a two-year, $15 million contract.

A promising team may target Profar:

https://theathletic.com/2240359/2020...field-in-2021/

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    The list does not include free agent and former No. 1 prospect Jurickson Profar, who paired up with Xander Bogaerts on the Netherlands national team:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...longer-secret/

Profar is the 34th-ranked free agent at MLB Trade Rumors and the 35th-ranked prospect at FanGraphs:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...ions-2021.html

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-top-50-free-agents/

MLB Trade Rumors projects Profar with a one-year, $7 million contract while FanGraphs columnist Craig Edwards projects a two-year, $9 million contract. The FanGraphs crowdsource pegs Profar with a two-year, $15 million contract.

A promising team may target Profar:

https://theathletic.com/2240359/2020...field-in-2021/

From today's MLBTR chat
    Boston
    2:54 Profar to the Red Sox to be the regular second baseman? $7 million on a 1 year deal?
    Steve Adams
    2:55 Both the A's and the Padres have been dissatisfied with Profar's glove there. Outside of his age and the fact that like six years and two major shoulder surgeries ago, Profar was the game's No. 1 prospect, I don't see much to get excited about.

If I'm the Sox, I'd rather have any of Kolten Wong, Tommy La Stella, Cesar Hernandez

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    From today's MLBTR chat
    The defensive metrics are unkind to Jurickson Profar at second base but, in a small sample, quite positive in left field.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/ju...anced-fielding

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    The defensive metrics are unkind to Jurickson Profar at second base but, in a small sample, quite positive in left field.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/ju...anced-fielding
    Yeah but the Sox have someone for LF. And Profar's 101 OPS+ over the past 3 seasons is beatable by a number of free agents. If the Sox are only spending $7mill on one outfielder, they can likely bring Bradley back for that price and he is a better defensive fit...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Yeah but the Sox have someone for LF. And Profar's 101 OPS+ over the past 3 seasons is beatable by a number of free agents. If the Sox are only spending $7mill on one outfielder, they can likely bring Bradley back for that price and he is a better defensive fit...
    If the Red Sox can live with Jackie Bradley Jr.'s career OPS+ of 94, including 95 over the past three seasons.

Jurickson Profar has a UZR/150 of 14.8 with 8 runs saved in 560.2 career innings in the outfield, including a UZR/150 of 14.7 with 4 runs saved in 304.1 innings this year.

Bradley has a UZR/150 of 6.8 with 53 runs saved in 7,409 career innings in the outfield, including a UZR/150 of 5.5 with 5 runs saved in 471 innings this year.

Profar, who is three years younger than Bradley, remains an unlikely target for the Red Sox ... and Bradley remains a likely target.

Arroyo
    Chavis
    Munoz
    Chatham
    Arauz

I am on board with this. Once again, focus on pitching, pitching, and more pitching.

Whit Merrifield. KC is my new trade partner. Dalbec, Downs and Duran for Merrifield and Brad Keller. Bloom will ask for Brady Singer, but settle on Keller, the Royals' ace and already a three-year starting pitcher at age 24. Gotta give up something to get something...

ps. trade simulator accepts this proposal as fair
    Last edited by 5GoldGloves:OF,75; 12-08-2020 at 06:56 PM.

I honestly have no freaking idea. They could bring back Brock Holt for a season and I'd probably be happy with that.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Depends if Bloom thinks the Sox can contend. If so maybe Wong or Schoop.
    If he think it’s a rebuilding year then I could see Arroyo or Chatham or possibly Chavis

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster24 View Post
    Depends if Bloom thinks the Sox can contend. If so maybe Wong or Schoop.
    If he think it’s a rebuilding year then I could see Arroyo or Chatham or possibly Chavis
    I don't think that will be a factor.

The Royals have signed Mike Minor and Carlos Santana. Do we believe they think they will be competitive this year?

Now Bloom will go with Chavis/Arroyo/Chatham if he cannot afford anyone else (presumably after spending on pitching) or thinks the other options are not going to be worth it. ...

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Whit Merrifield. KC is my new trade partner. Dalbec, Downs and Duran for Merrifield and Brad Keller. Bloom will ask for Brady Singer, but settle on Keller, the Royals' ace and already a three-year starting pitcher at age 24. Gotta give up something to get something...

ps. trade simulator accepts this proposal as fair
    I think Merrifield is over-valued.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?