Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cleveland Baseball Team

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    As a Vice President of my local PETA organization, I strongly object to the use of various animal names being used in sports played by humans. I mean , it's bad enough that you put them in zoos , hunt , slaughter , wear and eat the animals ; but they have to be nicknames and mascots too ? Unfortunately, I don't have enough influence to get the various owners and those in charge of things to accede to my demands. Maybe someday. This public service announcement has been brought to you by people who take things way too seriously.
    Be nice to vegetables, too; the plants live... but if they're only seasonal, maybe they'll be reasonable. Especially if we combine them with people names; go Human Beans!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    A true icon of cinema.
    Star Wars: 6,1, 7, 8, 9, Rogue One, Solo
    various Ewok movies
    Willow (he'll be reprising in the upcoming series)
    Leprechaun 1 - 6
    Harry Potter 1 - 8
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    The Blackhawks aren’t even named for a tribe; they were named because their founder served in the 86th Infantry Division, nicknamed the Blackhawk Division honoring Chief Black Hawk, who was a chief of the Sauk Tribe.

So basically they honor a person.
    I have more of a problem with Blackhawks being very close to Black C***s than I do with it being a Native American name

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    As a Vice President of my local PETA organization, I strongly object to the use of various animal names being used in sports played by humans. I mean , it's bad enough that you put them in zoos , hunt , slaughter , wear and eat the animals ; but they have to be nicknames and mascots too ? Unfortunately, I don't have enough influence to get the various owners and those in charge of things to accede to my demands. Maybe someday. This public service announcement has been brought to you by people who take things way too seriously.
    I vote we change the Detroit Tigers to the Detroit Gender-Nonconforming Blobs of Ineptitute

Guys. Stop. My "ignore" file is filling up.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Massachusetts and Connecticut probably don't need to change their names -- as long as they're giving tribute and not mocking -- the Algonquian tribes who named the regions after "the great hill" and "long tidal river".

But anything with a "New" in its name smacks of too much "manifest destiny". Sinatra should just change his lyrics now: "I'd like to be a part of it: the place where we get wood to make bows." (translation of Mannahata, courtesy of the Lenape peoples).

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Massachusetts and Connecticut probably don't need to change their names -- as long as they're giving tribute and not mocking -- the Algonquian tribes who named the regions after "the great hill" and "long tidal river".

But anything with a "New" in its name smacks of too much "manifest destiny". Sinatra should just change his lyrics now: "I'd like to be a part of it: the place where we get wood to make bows." (translation of Mannahata, courtesy of the Lenape peoples).
    How many Mass regional high schools have Indian names? A lot! They honor the native peoples.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    How many Mass regional high schools have Indian names? A lot! They honor the native peoples.
    The only exception that leaps to mind is Blackstone Valley Regional Vocational Technical High School. Apparently, there was no Vocational Technical Tribe located anywhere within the Blackstone Valley region...

Same thing in CT. My HS mascot was the Sachems, which is basically another Indian chief. I don't remember when they changed it but it has changed since I graduated in 2017. Most of the teams in the area are Indian names. Our rivals were the Tomahawks

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Same thing in CT. My HS mascot was the Sachems, which is basically another Indian chief. I don't remember when they changed it but it has changed since I graduated in 2017. Most of the teams in the area are Indian names. Our rivals were the Tomahawks
    Well a Tomahawk is also a type of missile. So they can just change their logo...

Let's just remove all team nicknames so absolutely no one can be offended.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Most of the states have names that come from Indian words.

And at least 4 states (Kansas, Utah, Iowa and Illinois) are actually named for either local tribes or confederations of local tribes. But the difference is none of them try to depict their namesake Native Americans via mascots that can be viewed as condescending, disrespectful, or flat out insulting.

It's not the use of tribal names per se that cause the offense; it's the mascots their portrayals.

Of course, Washington Redskins was a flat out racial slur, so that is a bit different. That one had to go no matter what...

Eh, people will still find a way. It bugs me that the majority of people that lodge these complaints couldn't care less about those teams, or sports in general.

Deity
    Don't go there.

I think if certain peoples are offended by their portrayal by sporting teams, is it really such a big deal to NOT be offensive?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Eh, people will still find a way. It bugs me that the majority of people that lodge these complaints couldn't care less about those teams, or sports in general.
    To me at least, there is a difference when one group of people tells another they are being insulted. It's one thing if, say, a member of the Seminole tribe tells Florida State they do not like how the mascot portrays them. It' a completely different matter when some white guy says that mascot is insulting to Seminoles (unless he has consulted with them)....