Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Sox sign Hunter Renfroe

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Move Dalbec to a corner OF spot? Thus the transformation into Russ Branyan 2.0 is complete!

I'd be ok with him as the full time 1B. I just think if the idea is to use him as the RHH part of a platoon, it's a waste and the Sox would be better off moving him for a SP. But then, I've been predicting the Sox sign Brad Miller, who is a left-handed bat but not someone you want to give 450 PA at 1B to...
    If Devers falters at 3b, I'd actually move Dalbec to 3b and Devers to LF. Does that make Devers Russ Branyan?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If Devers falters at 3b, I'd actually move Dalbec to 3b and Devers to LF. Does that make Devers Russ Branyan?
    No I think Devers can and will top Branyan's career OPS of .814. Dalbec? I doubt it...

Yeah but I wonder exactly what SP onw could get for Chavis?

Some of the equally valued pitchers on BTV include:

Kyle Freeland (Col), Caleb Smith (AZ), Cal Quantrill (Cle), Josh Lindblom (Mil), Kyle Wright (Atl), JT Brubaker (Pitt), Koby Allard (Tex), Jon Gray (Col), and Bryse Wilson (Atl).

But do any of those teams want Chavis? I am not so sure he is the most desirable trade chip. I'd make some of those deals if other teams were interested...
    How about Chavis + Chatham or Chavis + Ward or Groome?

Or, Chavis, Chatham and Ward/Groome?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

If Devers goes anywhere, it's 1B or DH.

No I think Devers can and will top Branyan's career OPS of .814. Dalbec? I doubt it...
    We'll have to see. Dalbec's OPS was a little bit better than that last year.

I don't believe so. You'd most likely need to trade Chavis and an arm with upside like Bello.
    Although BTV says Chavis, Chatham & Ward = Dalbec (exactly), I'm not sure other GMs see it that way.

If Devers goes anywhere, it's 1B or DH.
    Or not.

Deity
    Although BTV says Chavis, Chatham & Ward = Dalbec (exactly), I'm not sure other GMs see it that way.
    At some point, you're trying to substitute 4 quarters for a dollar. While that works at 7-11, it's usually not as successful with MLB trades...

At some point, you're trying to substitute 4 quarters for a dollar. While that works at 7-11, it's usually not as successful with MLB trades...
    I would say that it's usually more like trading 4 Canadian quarters for a US dollar. Depending on how the exchange rate fluctuates, you may come out ahead.

Exactly, and I doubt any GM would agree to any of the trades I suggested.

Deity
    We'll have to see. Dalbec's OPS was a little bit better than that last year.
    Oh it was much better, if you think 92 PA is a representative sample size...

@SoxNotes
    Hardest throws by American League outfielders in 2021:

1. Hunter Renfroe – 98.4 mph
    T2. Hunter Renfroe – 98.0 mph
    T2. Michael Taylor – 98.0 mph
    4. Hunter Renfroe – 97.8 mph

(source: Statcast)

Also has a 861 OPS since May 1. Nice that he's not the black hole he was in April.

@SoxNotes
    Hardest throws by American League outfielders in 2021:

1. Hunter Renfroe – 98.4 mph
    T2. Hunter Renfroe – 98.0 mph
    T2. Michael Taylor – 98.0 mph
    4. Hunter Renfroe – 97.8 mph

(source: Statcast)

Also has a 861 OPS since May 1. Nice that he's not the black hole he was in April.
    Renfroe should be the poster boy for everyone who is bitching about giving Dalbec a long look at 1B.

Even the greatest players in MLB history have 100-150 or even longer stretches where they looked anywhere from bad to horrific.

Their manager and GM stuck with them.

How are we to know, if some player's April and May might be the worst stretch they'll ever have in a long and productive MLB career? If one had to project when a player's longest slump would be, one would probably guess in a players first 100-500 PAs in the league.

Does this mean Dalbec needs more time? Who knows? It looks a lot like "Hell NO!" to me, too, and in fact, I'm for calling Chavis up, today and sending Dalbec to AAA to try and work his way back up for another look.

I don't want both Dalbec and Chavis on the 2022 roster, if they both remain untested and unknowns. Even keeping one might bug me. We should know more, even if they spend a big chunk of 2021 in AAA, but Dalbec deserved at least 5-7 weeks of near FT play, this spring. Cordero, too. I would not say the same about Santana and Chavis, but both of them got their chances and may still get another or a longer look, before a choice is made.

How many times do we hear Sox fans bitching about letting a player go, too early and watching him do very well, elsewhere.

Maybe not that much recently, but it happens.

I'm totally frustrated with Dalbec. I had hopes for Chavis and Santana, too, and their fuses are just about run out.

I bumped this to give Renfroe a shout out, not to drag Dalbec/Chavis/Santana in here.

Hunter, I'm glad I was wrong about you. You're still not great against RHP, but maybe you can be serviceable as an everyday guy and not just a platoon guy.

I bumped this to give Renfroe a shout out, not to drag Dalbec/Chavis/Santana in here.

Hunter, I'm glad I was wrong about you. You're still not great against RHP, but maybe you can be serviceable as an everyday guy and not just a platoon guy.
    His defense and arm in Fenway's RF are enough to overlook the poor splits vs righties.

It's nice to know we have another year of team control on this guy.

Thanks Bloom.