Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blake Snell dealt to Padres

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Not true at all. I just do not think a site that values Torres less than Castillo (far less in fact) is worth it's salt at all
    Their valuation of Castillo does seem to be too high.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    The American League champions traded their ace in his prime for prospects. What a great time it must be to be a Rays fan!
    I'm sure it's frustrating for the few Rays fans that there are, but the Rays have typically called the timing of these trades pretty good. Plus, the Rays have been pretty successful since they became the Rays. No, they don't have a WS Championship, but they make the playoffs at a good clip. The playoffs are a crapshoot, so judging them by the lack of championships is unfair. They have had this success at a fraction of the cost that the Red Sox and Yankees have. I'm impressed.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Not true at all. I just do not think a site that values Torres less than Castillo (far less in fact) is worth it's salt at all
    The value would also depend on their projected salaries. If Torres projects to make more money than Castillo through the arbitration process, then it would affect his trade value...

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I'm sure it's frustrating for the few Rays fans that there are, but the Rays have typically called the timing of these trades pretty good. Plus, the Rays have been pretty successful since they became the Rays. No, they don't have a WS Championship, but they make the playoffs at a good clip. The playoffs are a crapshoot, so judging them by the lack of championships is unfair. They have had this success at a fraction of the cost that the Red Sox and Yankees have. I'm impressed.
    Apparently so are the Red Sox owners by hiring Bloom -- but I'm guessing your post is a set-up for someone to reply in this way. I'm not judging Tampa by how far they go in the postseason, just from a possible viewpoint of their fans... the opposite of a line from the recently renamed Godfather III: "Just when I thought I was in (as in, buying my favorite player's jersey), they throw me back out!"

Tampa is innovative out of default, but it's not a brand the enamors me, like other sports teams that revolutionized their game -- and caused new rules to outlaw their methods -- like the NC hoop team that won by running out clocks, passing to "four corners", or the NJ Devils hockey team that won by stopping scoring with their neutral zone trap.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The value would also depend on their projected salaries. If Torres projects to make more money than Castillo through the arbitration process, then it would affect his trade value...
    cots has Torres with 3 years of team control (all arbs) and Castillo with just 3 arb years.

Although Torres will likely make more in 4 years than Castillo makes in 3, you'd think the extra year would make Torres gain value over Castillo.

That Trade Value site must just think Castillo is way better than Torres.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 12-28-2020 at 06:55 PM.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

They've got Castillo at about $150 million in actual value for 3 years, minus $35 salary for a net value of $115 million.

But I can't figure out the $150 million. That would be about 6 WAR per year, but his projections are more like 3-3.5 WAR per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    They've got Castillo at about $150 million in actual value for 3 years, minus $35 salary for a net value of $115 million.

But I can't figure out the $150 million. That would be about 6 WAR per year, but his projections are more like 3-3.5 WAR per year.
    Do they use WAR and projected WAR?

If yes, bWAR or fWAR.

And Padres are close to acquiring Darvish.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Do they use WAR and projected WAR?

If yes, bWAR or fWAR.
    They must use fWAR, because there's a link to FanGraphs.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    cots has Torres with 3 years of team control (all arbs) and Castillo with just 3 arb years.

Although Torres will likely make more in 4 years than Castillo makes in 3, you'd think the extra year would make Torres gain value over Castillo.

That Trade Value site must just think Castillo is way better than Torres.

Per my back and forth posts with Bitzer, they use multiple sites for projected performance and salary. So it’s those sites that must have faith in Castillo.

Now they do often include other external criteria, like Q-factor, but I doubt either Castillo or Torres have much of an impact there...

Per my back and forth posts with Bitzer, they use multiple sites for projected performance and salary. So it’s those sites that must have faith in Castillo.

Now they do often include other external criteria, like Q-factor, but I doubt either Castillo or Torres have much of an impact there...
    I don't see how you can project a guy his age who has topped at 4.1 fWAR to have 3 straight 6 fWAR seasons.

And Padres are close to acquiring Darvish.
    The Padres have acquired Yu Darvish.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Apparently so are the Red Sox owners by hiring Bloom -- but I'm guessing your post is a set-up for someone to reply in this way. I'm not judging Tampa by how far they go in the postseason, just from a possible viewpoint of their fans... the opposite of a line from the recently renamed Godfather III: "Just when I thought I was in (as in, buying my favorite player's jersey), they throw me back out!"

Tampa is innovative out of default, but it's not a brand the enamors me, like other sports teams that revolutionized their game -- and caused new rules to outlaw their methods -- like the NC hoop team that won by running out clocks, passing to "four corners", or the NJ Devils hockey team that won by stopping scoring with their neutral zone trap.
    My post was not a set up for anything. I'm simply stating that, like it or not, the Rays' method works. I understand that from a fan's point, it's very frustrating to get attached to players only to have them traded away while they're still performing very well. While I don't think it's a good idea to hand out those huge contracts, the Sox are not going to become the Rays. They will continue to have one of the highest payrolls.

FTR, I am not a fan of all of the Rays' innovativeness on the field, even though I know that most of it is born out of analytics.

The Padres have acquired Yu Darvish.
    The Padres are going for it. For their sake, I hope it works out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The Padres are going for it. For their sake, I hope it works out for them.
    That Hosmer signing really bit them in the arse.