Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lindor and Carrasco to the Mets

Some fans get more enjoyment from their team acquiring star players. Some other fans get more satisfaction from saying , " we saved money and are building for the future." Just a different perspective on things.

Cohen came in and said this isn’t a money making venture, that he was a fan. He put his money where his mouth is. The division has been ruled the last two years by an awfully vulnerable braves team. The Phillies have been very suspect as well, playing below their capabilities. The Marlins played over their head last year. Washington stunk, surprisingly, but is likely heading back into contention, IMO. The Mets just staked their claim as the top team in that division

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Cohen came in and said this isn’t a money making venture, that he was a fan. He put his money where his mouth is. The division has been ruled the last two years by an awfully vulnerable braves team. The Phillies have been very suspect as well, playing below their capabilities. The Marlins played over their head last year. Washington stunk, surprisingly, but is likely heading back into contention, IMO. The Mets just staked their claim as the top team in that division
    But that "suspect" Braves team has a very young and extremely solid core both on the mound (Soroka, Fried, Anderson) and in the field (Acuna, Albies, Freeman). And they have more farm depth to supplement it, either through direct promotion or through trades.

A deal like this was the Mets' best shot to be taken seriously, but any claim they have to the top of the NL East is tenuous at best...

I don't think the Mets are done yet. The new owner seems determined to make an immediate impact.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    How are the Braves 'awfully vulnerable'? A little short on details.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    By moving the top tier players to the other league, teams can benefit from the return they get and not have to compete with the star's new team for postseason spots.

Cleveland is still a good team and even with Carrasco (and Clevinger) gone, they still might have the best rotation in the American League...
    It's amazing how they can lose Kluber, Clevinger, Bauer &Carrasco and still have a good rotation.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Good for the Red Sox, I guess. The Indians have now dropped in Fangraphs projected team WAR to below the Sox.

Meanwhile, the Mets are now considered a powerhouse, right behind the Dodgers and the Padres.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's amazing how they can lose Kluber, Clevinger, Bauer &Carrasco and still have a good rotation.
    But no rings since '48.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Seems that some of the top A.L. players are moving to the N.L. Will this trend continue? Are the N.L. owners more interested in spending for top talent? Or are the A.L. owners smarter?
    The AL was just having too much fun, so the NL decided to take a stand.

But then again, the NL has won 7 of the last 11 World Series, so what the hell do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Good for the Red Sox, I guess. The Indians have now dropped in Fangraphs projected team WAR to below the Sox.

Meanwhile, the Mets are now considered a powerhouse, right behind the Dodgers and the Padres.
    Maybe in October we'll be partying like it's 1986!

With a different outcome of course...

By moving the top tier players to the other league, teams can benefit from the return they get and not have to compete with the star's new team for postseason spots.

Cleveland is still a good team and even with Carrasco (and Clevinger) gone, they still might have the best rotation in the American League...
    Not if Bieber sticks to his musical career like he should be doing. At some point, he's going to burn himself out

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I don't think the Mets are done yet. The new owner seems determined to make an immediate impact.
    I think he already made one.

That said, they are still probably the most likely landing spot for Bauer...

I think he already made one.

That said, they are still probably the most likely landing spot for Bauer...
    That'd be fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    But no rings since '48.
    They came very close in 2016. Came up just a little short. Since then , the owner has not spent to try and put them over the top. Fan support has been lagging. Now , they trade their best player because they don't want to pay him. Their drought will probably go on for at least the immediate future and maybe much longer.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    That'd be fine with me.
    Of course I’m now reading the Mets have maybe $15mill left in the budget, which, along with the acquisition of Carrasco, probably means they won’t move on Bauer.

Which of course leaves the question “OK, so who does?”