Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Milky toast GM over his head and overmatched

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    We certainly didn't need another DD right now.

However...

-We traded Mookie Betts and made much of the advantages of the tax re-set.
    -As of Jan. 17, our upgrades to a .400 team are Matt Andriese and Hunter Renfroe.
    I know it's been a frustrating offseason so far. Really all I can say is to remain patient and see what unfolds over the next month.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I was wondering if Henry called a moratorium on the Sox Big Spending Days. But if he wanted a lower salary for his team and a payroll reduction, one might suspect Bogaerts would be in more trade rumors and Benintendi in fewer. Still it is a possibility...
    I think Henry will continue to spend. For one, he realizes that his fan base expects him to spend, even though that shouldn't be a consideration for him. But he doesn't want to lose fans. More importantly, he likes to win. This is why he lost patience with Ben so quickly. He is going to spend in order to put a winning product on the field.

We have to keep in mind that the season still has a lot of uncertainty surrounding it, especially in terms of whether fans will be allowed. This is making most owners hesitant about spending.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I don't think there are too many fans who are content to have another miserable season in the hope that things will be better in 2022 and beyond. Perhaps we are a bit spoiled, but that is how it goes. I hope that Sox ownership and management realizes that.
    I really think that ownership realizes how bad last year was in terms of fan support. I really don't think they're going to allow 2021 to be another year like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I really think that ownership realizes how bad last year was in terms of fan support. I really don't think they're going to allow 2021 to be another year like that.
    Love this Kimmi .I just need some excitement and Understand they have tossed in the towel before season even started ? And not see this is head in the sand territory.Hell give Boston Puig to bring some interest atleast ? This team is not only a bore to watch but they look like a team not even trying to compete.I love your take on things and apologize for the sky is falling takes .I need more from Bloom .
    Last edited by Swiharts Ghost; 01-17-2021 at 06:26 PM.

They’re not going to make rash decisions. They’re committed to a rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Love this Kimmi .I just need some excitement and Understand they have tossed in the towel before season even started ? And not see this is head in the sand territory.Hell give Boston Puig to bring some interest atleast ? This team is not only a bore to watch but they look like a team not even trying to compete.I love your take on things and apologize for the sky is falling takes .I need more from Bloom .
    You need to realize the off season does not end in mid January.

If we are still in this same situation in mid February, then have at it.

Also, I'd be very surprised, if we go all out to win in 2021. Even 2022 might be too early to hope for a ring.

2020 was treading water and rebuilding the farm.
    2021 is about improving the longer term outlook, in terms of ML talent and the farm.
    2022 is about the earliest we can hope for meaningful competitiveness.

You can't overcome a cliff overnight.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    They’re not going to make rash decisions. They’re committed to a rebuild
    Agreed. I do think we do something major to improve our chances and record in 2021, but only if it also helps us in 2022 or beyond.

We may add a few 1 year deals that will allow us to spend large in 2022 and still be better in 2021, but I think we will try to stay under the luxury tax, so it's not an "all out" winter, as it should NOT be.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    “Rebuilding” is owner-speak for “going cheap.” It’s not something large market teams where real money is at risk actually do...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    “Rebuilding” is owner-speak for “going cheap.” It’s not something large market teams where real money is at risk actually do...
    I think the entire term is forbidden in the Steinbrenner book of ownership.

Alex Speier today reiterates why the Red Sox -- and I'm paraphrasing -- aren't ready to acquire any really good players yet because they're not really good enough yet.

A point that hasn't been covered this winter is the effect that one really good acquisition can have on building back better. Good players want to win, and will recruit other good players. New players will want to join, and old players will want to stay. None of this is a revelation, but it's never noted when discussion is predominantly financial.

Deity
    Bloom is the anti-Dombrowski. Anyone expecting a bunch of Dombrowski type moves is likely going to be disappointed. That's not to say that Bloom won't eventually make a big free agent signing or a big trade, but now is not the time for either of those, for many reasons.
    To date wouldn't you kind of say that Bloom is anti any of the previous GMs that we have had this century when it comes to significant make a difference now kind of signings?

Deity
    I don't think there are too many fans who are content to have another miserable season in the hope that things will be better in 2022 and beyond. Perhaps we are a bit spoiled, but that is how it goes. I hope that Sox ownership and management realizes that.
    Excellent points.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    A point that hasn't been covered this winter is the effect that one really good acquisition can have on building back better. Good players want to win, and will recruit other good players. New players will want to join, and old players will want to stay. None of this is a revelation, but it's never noted when discussion is predominantly financial.
    Hmmm, well, I don't see how Good Player A can successfully recruit Good Player B without ownership being on board to pay Good Player B what he wants.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    How is Puig more interesting than Devers/Xander/Dalbec/Verdugo? Puig is not the guy he once was. You don't want to run him out there 162 games.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

A Red Sox exec is quoted in the Speier piece saying that they understand the anguish fans are going through this offseason. It seems that they are hopeful to sign JBJ/Odorizzi and whatever is left over at 2b.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Hmmm, well, I don't see how Good Player A can successfully recruit Good Player B without ownership being on board to pay Good Player B what he wants.
    Players have influence, and top players' input is often valued by management. It's not all bottom-line dollar signs... or warm weather climes. Competitive athletes actually like to win.