Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays Sign Springer

Blue Jays Sign Springer

Last edited by a700hitter; 01-19-2021 at 11:19 PM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

A lot of money.

We could have used him, but I can't see paying that much.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    A lot of money.

We could have used him, but I can't see paying that much.
    Springer got a lot more than I predicted; shows how two bidders can drive up the price ebay-style (sorry Mets). But DJ at $15 mil per is a lot better value than George at $25 mil per. Now watch Jackie Boras Jr sign for way more than anyone here thought...

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Springer got a lot more than I predicted; shows how two bidders can drive up the price ebay-style (sorry Mets). But DJ at $15 mil per is a lot better value than George at $25 mil per. Now watch Jackie Boras Jr sign for way more than anyone here thought...
    I'm thinking he gets $15M/2 or $20M/3. I wouldn't go that high.

The AL East is leaving us behind...

I hope someone else overpays JBJ. He deserves the money for 2018, but some other team should pay it.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    The AL East is leaving us behind...
    TB and the O's have gotten worse.

NYY has still lost more than they've gained.

We might be even, as of now.

TOR has gotten better.

TOR has gotten better.
    Sox should just get better with JD and Beni returning to form. I think the Sox struggled out of the gate and were never able to catch up in 2020. I think that if they played 162 games last year that they would have wound up closer to .500 than where they were. If ERod is healthy, Houck pitches like 2020 and one new rotation add gives them quality innings, this team will be in the hunt.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity

TOR has gotten better.
    Is Toronto a competitor?

Per Roster Resource, their rotation is: Hyun-Jin Ryu, Robbie Ray, Nate Pearson, Tanner Roark, and Ross Stripling.

Per Roster Resource, the Sox rotation is: Nate Eovaldi, Eduardo Rodriguez, Tanner Houck, Martin Perez, and Nick Pivetta.

Which of those is actually better?

I know there is a lot more to a team than a starting rotation, but bear in mind this is what we consider the Sox biggest weakness. Also the Jays' as well...

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Sox should just get better with JD and Beni returning to form. I think the Sox struggled out of the gate and were never able to catch up in 2020. I think that if they played 162 games last year that they would have wound up closer to .500 than where they were. If ERod is healthy, Houck pitches like 2020 and one new rotation add gives them quality innings, this team will be in the hunt.
    Every team has many "ifs."

I'm not disagreeing with your point. We seemed to have more than our fair share of injuries and "bad years" from too many players. Expecting a return to the norm is something that is probable not just wishful.

We are also not done setting our opening day roster. I'm convinced we will make some significant additions. We should easily pass the O's (no biggie) and come closer to the rest of the AL East than we were in 2020. Only the Jay s seem to have improved by more than us, on paper, so far. The Yanks appear to want to stay under the tax line, so they have much less "budget space" than we do- going forward. They also lost Tanaka, Paxton & Happ. We lost JBJ.

The sky is not falling on Sox Nation.

Is Toronto a competitor?

Per Roster Resource, their rotation is: Hyun-Jin Ryu, Robbie Ray, Nate Pearson, Tanner Roark, and Ross Stripling.

Per Roster Resource, the Sox rotation is: Nate Eovaldi, Eduardo Rodriguez, Tanner Houck, Martin Perez, and Nick Pivetta.

Which of those is actually better?

I know there is a lot more to a team than a starting rotation, but bear in mind this is what we consider the Sox biggest weakness. Also the Jays' as well...
    Our healthy rotation also compares to the Yanks rotation. Maybe not better, but not all that worse, either, especially if Sale can come close to Cole.

Our offense was fine, last year, despite down seasons from several key players- like JD, Beni & Devers.

If most of our players just return to their better form of 2019 or 2020, not to mention 2018, we could make massive gains in win totals. That's with no additions and just decent health.

That's the optimist view.

There is plenty to worry about, too, and some key additions can help put some of those to rest.

Deity
    AL EAst Starting rotations per Roster Resource

NY Yankees: Gerrit Cole, Corey Kluber, Jordan Montgomery, Deivi Garcia, and Domingo German
    Tampa Rays: Tyler Glasnow, Ryan Yarborouugh, Michael Wacha, Josh Fleming, Trevor Richards
    Toronto Blue Jays: Hyun-Jin Ryu, Robbie Ray, Nate Pearson, Tanner Roark, and Ross Stripling.
    Boston Red Sox: Nate Eovaldi, Eduardo Rodriguez, Tanner Houck, Martin Perez, and Nick Pivetta.
    Baltimore Orioles: John Means, Alex Cobb, Keegan Akin, Dean Kremer, and Bruce Zimmerman

Yankees far and away have the best rotation, but right now it looks like a bragging right equal to having the most luxurious Kia Sedona on your block. "Yeah, they added Corey Kluber and a functioning satellite radio!!"

Poll question: How many of those Orioles' SP besides Means and Cobb have you ever heard of before?

Deity
    Our healthy rotation also compares to the Yanks rotation. Maybe not better, but not all that worse, either, especially if Sale can come close to Cole.

Our offense was fine, last year, despite down seasons from several key players- like JD, Beni & Devers.

If most of our players just return to their better form of 2019 or 2020, not to mention 2018, we could make massive gains in win totals. That's with no additions and just decent health.

That's the optimist view.

There is plenty to worry about, too, and some key additions can help put some of those to rest.

The Yankee rotation is better than the Sox pre-Sale now that Kluber is on board. But the AL East is pretty weak all around in that regard...

The Yankee rotation is better than the Sox pre-Sale now that Kluber is on board. But the AL East is pretty weak all around in that regard...
    Agreed, but adding Kluber while losing Tanaka, Paxton and Happ is not an improvement. They have as many questionable starters as we do. Some are young with a lot of potential, but we all know how that can work out.

They are not done, but if they are being truthful about staying under the tax line, they have less than $6M left to spend to our $30M.

They kill us in pen comps, but our rotation is close, assuming health, and that's before our expected addition.

Our offense is close.

Our defense sucks.

Our pen is way behind.

AL EAst Starting rotations per Roster Resource

NY Yankees: Gerrit Cole, Corey Kluber, Jordan Montgomery, Deivi Garcia, and Domingo German
    Tampa Rays: Tyler Glasnow, Ryan Yarborouugh, Michael Wacha, Josh Fleming, Trevor Richards
    Toronto Blue Jays: Hyun-Jin Ryu, Robbie Ray, Nate Pearson, Tanner Roark, and Ross Stripling.
    Boston Red Sox: Nate Eovaldi, Eduardo Rodriguez, Tanner Houck, Martin Perez, and Nick Pivetta.
    Baltimore Orioles: John Means, Alex Cobb, Keegan Akin, Dean Kremer, and Bruce Zimmerman

Yankees far and away have the best rotation, but right now it looks like a bragging right equal to having the most luxurious Kia Sedona on your block. "Yeah, they added Corey Kluber and a functioning satellite radio!!"

Poll question: How many of those Orioles' SP besides Means and Cobb have you ever heard of before?
    That Sox rotation gives me nightmares...

Looking at Toronto, one might question if they have enough pitching to win the division. They'll be able to score with anybody in baseball, especially the Yankees, but can they stop the Yankees offense enough? Pearson has the potential to be an ace, but he's not there yet. Outside of Ryu, who do you give the ball to when you need a win? A solid rotation should have 2 or 3 of those guys