Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox Sign Enrique Hernandez

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    i think Kike is the other CF. I don’t think there will be another defensive CFer picked up.
    That could be. I prefer that neither Beni nor Verdugo is our everyday CFer though.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    So let me understand: there are those here arguing that a guy marginally better than Holt is worth 10x his salary? But super-stars are simply a luxury Boston cannot afford?
    It's funny that I am seeing this argument from the other side. There are some here that are criticizing signing a player for $7 mil for two years but would happily hand out a contract for $350+ mil for 12 years. Yes, I understand that Mookie is a much better player, but I don't get that thinking at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I don't have a problem with this move. While not what you would call a game changer, Hernandez is a versatile player who adds a little right handed pop to the lineup. That should play well at Fenway.
    Admittedly, I have not seen him play a lot. But I read a few comments from Dodgers fans, and they are all sad to see him go and feel that the Sox are getting a great addition. I have a feeling that he will be a very solid and well liked player.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It's funny that I am seeing this argument from the other side. There are some here that are criticizing signing a player for $7 mil for two years but would happily hand out a contract for $350+ mil for 12 years. Yes, I understand that Mookie is a much better player, but I don't get that thinking at all.
    You don't get the thinking that we'd rather have good players than mediocre players, even though good players are more expensive? I get that people might not agree with that as a way to improving the team, but you can't really argue (unless Bloom is passing out Cool-Aid) that its not reasonable or that it's just too difficult to understand.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Not that $13M was enough to bring Kluber here, but how many think...

$13M Kluber > $10M Richards?
    Sox 4 Ever

Someone said he hits lefties well. That is a much needed “plus” if true.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Not that $13M was enough to bring Kluber here, but how many think...

$13M Kluber > $10M Richards?
    Not me, and here's my warped it's-already-2021, only-three-weeks-from-Spring Training thoughts: Richards was throwing 95 mph last summer. Kluber maxed out at 90 in his showcase last week. If you had to wager, which guy coming back from injury was more apt to throw his arm out trying to impress scouts and land a contract -- and will maybe never throw harder than that in the coming season?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    You don't get the thinking that we'd rather have good players than mediocre players, even though good players are more expensive? I get that people might not agree with that as a way to improving the team, but you can't really argue (unless Bloom is passing out Cool-Aid) that its not reasonable or that it's just too difficult to understand.
    The conundrum is that good players can get so expensive, teams can only afford so many. A team with a good farm system can afford more of them as they would have more minimum wage players. But the Sox do not have that luxury. So have they reached their current limit of $20mill+ players? I think they have 3 in Bogaerts, Martinez and Sale...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The conundrum is that good players can get so expensive, teams can only afford so many. A team with a good farm system can afford more of them as they would have more minimum wage players. But the Sox do not have that luxury. So have they reached their current limit of $20mill+ players? I think they have 3 in Bogaerts, Martinez and Sale...
    Nathan Eovaldi isn't far behind with a $17 million annual salary.

So, a one year deal for Richards basically punts the pitching staff decision to next winter.

Maybe better pitchers will be available.
    Maybe the economic outlook will look more stable.
    Maybe we will decide to cross the lux line significantly.

Pedey's contract comes off the books while JD and Eovaldi's a winding down to their last seasons on the books.

I'm waiting for a trade now- maybe Beni for a CF'er or RP'er or both. Maybe Beni for prospects, and we sign Pillar.
    Sox 4 Ever

A "bridge year"?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    A "bridge year"?
    During that first off-season when Theo used the phrase “bridge year”, he also signed John Lackey. But a lot of people got caught up in the phrase itself and made it a much bigger deal than it ever should have been..

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Nathan Eovaldi isn't far behind with a $17 million annual salary.
    Also Price is still owed $15mill...

I do not like this move from a Sox fan perspective. His 2018 was a career year, but something broke in him after that. K rate jumped back up, but BB rate plummeted. He’s got good power for a 2b, but has consistently showed low BABIP even with a 20% K rate. He’s versatile and would be a reasonable pickup on a 1 year $3 mil deal, but $14 mil and a 2 year commitment is strange to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I do not like this move from a Sox fan perspective. His 2018 was a career year, but something broke in him after that. K rate jumped back up, but BB rate plummeted. He’s got good power for a 2b, but has consistently showed low BABIP even with a 20% K rate. He’s versatile and would be a reasonable pickup on a 1 year $3 mil deal, but $14 mil and a 2 year commitment is strange to me.
    To be honest, I expected a $7M/2 deal- maybe $8 or $9M, and he got double. Maybe with budget constraints on so many teams, the competition for mid range deals has driven their prices up.

These mid range deals are often hard to judge. Last winter, I thought the Perez ($6M), Pillar ($4.5M), Moreland ($3M), Peraza ($3M) and Plawecki $900K) deals were very questionable, but I figured Bloom had a good track record at finding "diamonds in the rough," and I knew we were all about "the reset," so I wasn't critical.

As it turned out, 4 of the 5 did better than I expected- only Peraza was a clear dud, but at $3M, it was no biggie.

We ended up getting Hudson Potts, Jeisson Rosario (my sleeper prospect) and Jacob Wallace for Moreland and Pillar. We probably should have traded Perez, too.
    Sox 4 Ever