Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yanks acquire Jameson Taillon

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    What was the risk? The guys they gave up are all worse than Chavis.
    She's talking about the risks with Taillon's performance/health status after missing most of the last 2 seasons.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    She's talking about the risks with Taillon's performance/health status after missing most of the last 2 seasons.
    I get that, but if he sucks, they've lost 4 guys worse than Chavis.

What did they lose?
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I get that, but if he sucks, they've lost 4 guys worse than Chavis.

What did they lose?
    I think we might be talking about 2 different kinds of risk here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think we might be talking about 2 different kinds of risk here.
    I don't see anything being called a risk, unless there is something to lose.

Worst case- they break even.

I suppose one of the long shot prospects might amount to a role player.

The risk is that the Yankees count on Taillon to be their #2 starter and he pitches poorly or has health issues. It could cost them that way.

Both the Yankees and Red Sox rotations are loaded with risky propositions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Anyway, back to the topic at hand. This is a good get for the Yankees. That said, it is not a move without high risk. The Yankees' rotation might potentially be very good, but they have almost as much uncertainty as the Red Sox rotation does.
    You’re such a homer, lol. There’s now high ceilings, performance, and depth. Our 5 and 6 are top 100s. We have a guy in the wings for June or July who isn’t far removed from back to back top 10 cy young finishes in Sevy. You also don’t have Cole, who is far and away the best and most durable pitcher between the two squads. While adding Richards helps your squad, your rotation is now FAR and away behind the Bronx’ squad. Just like all phases

You have Ben to thank for both 2013 and 2018, so stop.
    Ben is the King of last place finishes.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    You’re such a homer, lol. There’s now high ceilings, performance, and depth. Our 5 and 6 are top 100s. We have a guy in the wings for June or July who isn’t far removed from back to back top 10 cy young finishes in Sevy. You also don’t have Cole, who is far and away the best and most durable pitcher between the two squads. While adding Richards helps your squad, your rotation is now FAR and away behind the Bronx’ squad. Just like all phases
    Cole may be "far and away" the most durable on either staff, but when Sale is at his best, he's better than Cole. (One could argue Kluber is, too.)

I know you have no respect for Sale and other Sox pitchers with health issues, and you may end up being proven right, but we'll see.

I respect what Sale was. I also am aware that he was losing his power due to a shoulder injury. Then his effort increased, which is why his control suffered and why his elbow exploded. I don’t think you’re gonna see vintage Sale ever again. I also don’t think you’re gonna see vintage ERod until mid season.

I totally forgot about German. As it stands, right now, Deivi Garcia and Clarke Schmidt are likely to be the 1-2 punch in our AAA rotation. Then when Sevy comes back, we shall see who gets bumped.

I respect what Sale was. I also am aware that he was losing his power due to a shoulder injury. Then his effort increased, which is why his control suffered and why his elbow exploded. I don’t think you’re gonna see vintage Sale ever again. I also don’t think you’re gonna see vintage ERod until mid season.
    You know, jacko, for all the crap I give you, I respect you a lot, and I know you know more about medicine and injuries than I do, but I'm not sure where you get your data from.

1) You once claimed Sale's velocity fell off a cliff, and the fangraphs graphs I provided showed a much less drop than you claimed.
    2) You ignored Sale's success after his short-lived return, despite the drop in velocity. (His highest K rates of his career were 2017, 2018 and 2019, including a 13.3 K/9 in 2019.
    3) Now, you mention that his "control suffered." When?

True, his 2019 BB/9 (2.3) rate was higher than his previous few seasons, but his career BB/9 is 2.1, so that seems pretty slight when you factor in he was recovering while pitching.

BTW, his last 3 games of 2019 saw him K 29 in 18.1 IP and walk only 2.

His last 2 games, he had 25 Ks in 14.2 IP with 2 BB and 7 hits (1.84 ERA)

Look, you may end up being right. You may even probably end up being right, but Sale was great as soon as 1.5 years ago.

He's not old. Many pitchers have comeback from what he has suffered. You may end up eating your words.

I'm not saying he will return to norm, but if he can come back to just 75% of his best, he could still be a great starter and possibly better than anyone on the Yanks, except Cole, assuming they don't "comeback" as well as he does.

I realize many Yankee starters have "lesser injuries," but so do Eovaldi and Richards. (ERod is the biggest unknown.)

Worst case- they break even.

I suppose one of the long shot prospects might amount to a role player.
    The high risk is two fold:

1. The Yankees are counting on another guy in the rotation who might not be able to provide much production.
    2. If Taillon doesn't provide any effective innings, the Yankees have given up 4 prospects for nothing. You can call it breaking even, but it's not, regardless of whether the prospects may or may not amount to much.

I may be a homer, but pot, meet kettle.

Yes, you have Cole. After that, you have as much health uncertainty as the Red Sox have.

The high risk is two fold:

1. The Yankees are counting on another guy in the rotation who might not be able to provide much production.
    2. If Taillon doesn't provide any effective innings, the Yankees have given up 4 prospects for nothing. You can call it breaking even, but it's not, regardless of whether the prospects may or may not amount to much.
    Actually, they don't need Taillon to throw one pitch, this year, so I don't see them structuring their team around him.

Yes, if one of these long shot prospects comes through, they could lose something, but the Yanks have a much stronger and deeper farm than us, so losing these 4 are hardly a blip on their screen.

I can see your point, but I don't see much of a "risk" at all.

I'd have given much more than what the Yanks gave up, and that might have been a "risk," so maybe that's why I'm viewing it this way.

Kimmi is one of the last bastion of Sox homers who thinks the Sox have a chance in 21, so she’s projecting her hopes rather than real likelihood’s or what she actually knows is true.

You cannot keep all your prospects. 2 were already on the 40 man and Smith could have needed to be added by the end of 21. And we dealt NONE of our top 14 prospects. Zero, zilch, nada. And we got a guy with ace stuff and ace upside who will leave Pitt and adopt the same philosophy that Cole did when he left Pitt. This kid is healthy now and under control for two seasons. I’m expecting huge things out of him