Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dustin Pedroia Retires

Dustin Pedroia Retires

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...etirement.html

Red Sox second baseman and former American League MVP Dustin Pedroia announced his retirement from baseball Monday. The 37-year-old was still under contract for the 2021 season but had managed to play in just nine games over the past three seasons due to a string of devastating knee injuries that required multiple surgeries.

“Dustin is so much more than his American League Most Valuable Player award, his All-Star Game selections, and the Gold Gloves he amassed throughout his impressive 17-year career in our organization,” Red Sox owner John Henry said in a press release announcing the move. “Dustin came to represent the kind of grit, passion, and competitive drive that resonates with baseball fans everywhere and especially with Red Sox fans. He played the game he loves in service to our club, its principles and in pursuit of championships. Most of all we are forever grateful to him for what he brought to our club and to our region as an important role model showing all of us how much one can accomplish with determination and hard work.”
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

@ChrisCotillo
    Pedroia will address the media at 1:30 p.m.

@Sean_McAdam
    2B Dustin Pedroia is retiring, will be paid in full on final year of contract. Pedroia will be made available to the media this afternoon.

@SPChrisHatfield
    So based on this, it sounds like what is technically happening is Pedroia is being released, then retiring. Which makes sense.

@ChrisCotillo
    To reiterate: Red Sox will pay Pedroia in full in 2021 and his salary will still count against the CBT.

@pgammo
    My favorite Dustin Pedroia: We entered back gate to Coor's before 2007 WS G3. I had credential. Pedey did not. Guard wouldn't believe he played. "Why don't you to the locker room," Pedroia replied, "and ask Jeff Francis ?" Pedroia had led off 1st inning, G1,w/ HR off Francis.

@JoeyMacHockey
    Pedroia used only two gloves his entire big league career. That's 1,512 games with only two mitts.

So glad he got to play and we got to see him year after year before players became interchangeable counters in a human-fantasy league.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

I had never heard the story about Papi not knowing Dustin's first name. That's a good one.

Also, I forgot the original reason for him saying "laser show."

He was a good teammate, until he wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I had never heard the story about Papi not knowing Dustin's first name. That's a good one.

Also, I forgot the original reason for him saying "laser show."

He was a good teammate, until he wasn't.

@joonlee
    In 2010, when David Ortiz was hitting .149 and people were calling him washed and that he should retire, Pedroia jumped to his defense

"Couple years ago, I had 60 at-bats, I was hitting .170 and everyone was ready to kill me too. What happened?"

"Laser Show."

https://twitter.com/iJordanMoore/sta...74851523276800

Pedroia steals second and beats shift by running to third.

Pedroia will still be paid his $12MM salary in the upcoming season, and his $13.3MM average annual value will count against the luxury tax for the Red Sox.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Pedroia will still be paid his $12MM salary in the upcoming season, and his $13.3MM average annual value will count against the luxury tax for the Red Sox.
    Really the only benefit for the 2021 Red Sox is they get an open 40 man roster space a couple weeks earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Really the only benefit for the 2021 Red Sox is they get an open 40 man roster space a couple weeks earlier...
    Yup, there was no way they were getting out of the lux tax hit.

Speculative thought but I believe Pedroia got bad medical advice on knee treatments, apart from the Red Sox medical staff, and then compounded the damage by overly aggressive rehab, perhasps too early in his recovery. The likelihood of a catastrophic total wrecking of his knee joint in the Machado play is less likely as a sole cause. Too many NFL'ers recover within months from ACL's, MCL's, Achilles tears, etc. to think that Pedroia was ruined by the slide itself. If so, it should have been evident immediately and recovery not attempted.
    He received bad advice and then messed up the recovery himself. Too much of a gamer to let it heal slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Yup, there was no way they were getting out of the lux tax hit.
    I'm not sure we'd even want to spread out his lux hit, even if we could have.

Let's bite the bullet and spend away, next winter.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?