Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bauer sweepstakes

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    2024 is Alex Verdugo's option year. If the plan is to wait that long, it is already flawed...
    It's not about waiting until 2024. The plan could mean we win or are highly competitive by 2023 and maybe even 2022, but seriously. do you think we should have a better chance of winning in 2021 or 2024 or 2025?

The plan should be to continually improve over 2021 and sustain a better team than the 2021 one in 2024 and well beyond.

That's why not going over the tax line, now, can help 3 or 4 years down the line. It also lessens the tax hit each year along the way as our bracket is pushed back 1 more year.

I'm not saying we have to stay under in 2021, but there is a good reason to do so.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    That's why not going over the tax line, now, can help 3 or 4 years down the line. It also lessens the tax hit each year along the way as our bracket is pushed back 1 more year.
    Well, if there's no significant change to the system in the next CBA, and we go over in 2022, that would put us in the dreaded Year 3 in 2024.

With this 3 year system you're never very far from being in tax hell again.

Hopefully they change that a little.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Well, if there's no significant change to the system in the next CBA, and we go over in 2022, that would put us in the dreaded Year 3 in 2024.

Maybe teams will try to reset after year 2, to avoid year 3's. If that's the case, and we go over in year 2022, then maybe 2024 is a reset year.

BTW, the Yanks are favorites to make the WS, and they are resetting, this year, so a reset year need not be a rebuilding year.
    Sox 4 Ever

They need a $60M floor first and foremost. I'm not super worried about the luxury tax, but it should probably go away as it is artificially deflating salaries.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    They need a $60M floor first and foremost. I'm not super worried about the luxury tax, but it should probably go away as it is artificially deflating salaries.
    Apparently, that's what many owners want- deflated salaries.

I hope it goes away and is replaced by a floor limit. Teams should be forced to spend a certain amount on player salary.
    Sox 4 Ever

I'm okay either way with Odorizzi, too.

I'm leaning towards thinking not going over the tax line is a very high priority. The only way that changes is if we not only look like we might be in line to make the playoffs at the trade deadline, but that we look like we could advance in the playoffs.

I think (and hope) we look at our window as being 2022 to 2024 and maybe beyond. Spend big in 2022 and look to maybe reset in 2025 or 2026. If we go over, this year, we may have to reset in 2024 or 2025 (a year earlier).

What year will we have a better chance at winning it all? 2021 or 2024/2025?

I can't imagine anyone thinking it's 2021.

I know 2024 is a long ways away, but I like our longer look much better than the shorter one.
    The goal is to get the team to the point where we are in a position to win it every year. Like the Dodgers are. We should not be thinking in terms of windows. Even when the team looks poised to go for it, big moves should not be made if they don't also have a long term benefit for us. Keep the 'window' from ever closing on us.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Is that a high enough floor? Right now that gets you Trevor Bauer and 25 players making less than $1mill each...

Deity
    Maybe teams will try to reset after year 2, to avoid year 3's. If that's the case, and we go over in year 2022, then maybe 2024 is a reset year.

BTW, the Yanks are favorites to make the WS, and they are resetting, this year, so a reset year need not be a rebuilding year.
    When compared to other sports, MLB owners have done an insane job of keeping salaries low.

Carson Wentz made $32mill AAV on his cotnract this year. His season is 10% as long as an MLB season. Also he sucks. Imagine how much he could make if he was good?

John Wall - extremely talented player, but not a name one thinks of as the NBA's elite - has a contract with an AAV of $42.7 million - higher than any contract in MLB history. Again, the season is only about one half of an MLB season. Also, in terms of durability, John Wall makes Nathan Eovaldi look like Nolan Ryan...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    When compared to other sports, MLB owners have done an insane job of keeping salaries low.

Carson Wentz made $32mill AAV on his cotnract this year. His season is 10% as long as an MLB season. Also he sucks. Imagine how much he could make if he was good?

John Wall - extremely talented player, but not a name one thinks of as the NBA's elite - has a contract with an AAV of $42.7 million - higher than any contract in MLB history. Again, the season is only about one half of an MLB season. Also, in terms of durability, John Wall makes Nathan Eovaldi look like Nolan Ryan...
    Have to look at total team payrolls too though.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Have to look at total team payrolls too though.
    Roster sizes do vary, so that needs to be accounted for...

Just heard his comment about celebrations following HRs (he's all for it) and calling out pitchers who get butt-hurt and through at batters in retaliation.
    Never liked him much.
    Now I'm a fan.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.