Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was 2007 the best up-and-coming Red Sox team?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We were talking about players brought up in the early to mid 1970's- very good to great ones.

Lee came up in 1969, but his first significant season was 1971, so maybe he can count.

Lyle should not count. He pitched 43 innings in 1967 and 66 in '68.

Reggie Smith, too. He had a few games in '66 but was FT by 1967.

Roger Moret fits the time frame but maybe not the very good player aspect of the category. He pitched a little in 1970 and over 70 innings in '71. He had a 116 ERA+ from 1970-1975, sso that may be considered "good enough."

The list is clearly weighted by non pitchers, that's for sure.

i was just rounding out the Dick O’Connell era
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    i was just rounding out the Dick O’Connell era
    I thought of that after I wrote my post mentioning his era. Some great ones surely came up during his time as GM. (Some were acquired before he became GM, but still...)
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Beat me to it. The core of those Impossible Dreamers was all in their low-to-mid 20s; Yaz was the old vet at 27. After Tony C got beaned, they added Hawk Harrelson, 25. Lonborg had two seasons before transforming into Cy Young at 25.

The late-80s Sox had a promising crop, but no Lonborg. In '87, the outfield featured Greenwell, Burks and Benzinger. Jody Reed got called up, then was a starter the next year. Sam Horn socked 14 HRs in 46 games, then became a website. The next season Brady Anderson and Carlos Quintana debuted. No pitchers, though.
    Those late 60 era teams easily represented the most exciting times to watch baseball in general for me. No question at all. When Billy Rohr just about had the no hitter that spring highlighted by Yaz's catch to last weekend when we were all glued to radios and tvs anticipating what was going to happen - concluding with that easy pop up catch by Rico. "the impossible dream"-

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Those late 60 era teams easily represented the most exciting times to watch baseball in general for me. No question at all. When Billy Rohr just about had the no hitter that spring highlighted by Yaz's catch to last weekend when we were all glued to radios and tvs anticipating what was going to happen - concluding with that easy pop up catch by Rico. "the impossible dream"-
    "And there's pandemonium on the field!" Ned Martin taught me as much vocabulary in those days as Stan Lee (but not alliteration). Both were more meaningful to kids in New England than any text books.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    That was before my time, but it seems like the games meant more when we were young.

That 75 team really got me into baseball more than ever before. Although my heart was broken, that team (all the way up to 1978) will always hold a special place in my heart and mind.

Tiant, Lee, Lynn, Burleson, Rice, Evans, Carbo and more.

2004 was incredible. 2018 was amazing. 2007 & 2013 were great, but there's something about those teams of the mid to late 70's that makes it more special than the others.

First love, maybe?
    Sox 4 Ever

That was before my time, but it seems like the games meant more when we were young.

That 75 team really got me into baseball more than ever before. Although my heart was broken, that team (all the way up to 1978) will always hold a special place in my heart and mind.

2004 was incredible. 2018 was amazing. 2007 & 2013 were great, but there's something about those teams of the mid to late 70's that makes it more special than the others.

First love, maybe?
    It must be, because 1978 has always been the worst heartbreaker for me.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It must be, because 1978 has always been the worst heartbreaker for me.
    Worse than 1986? One out away?

One STRIKE away, like three times. But it wasn't vs. the Yankees...

moon explained it. Those teams of the 70's were my favorite teams too. Plus losing to the Yankees with Reggie, Nettles et al. And my favorite player Yaz fouling out to end it.

1986 was awful but I was a little more numb or something.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity

First love, maybe?
    i will never ever forget that summer and fall (67) - getting my driver's license was one thing but the SOX. Transistor radios stuck to the ear on hot muggy August nights. Youth I guess as much as anything.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5goldgloves:of,75 View Post
    "and there's pandemonium on the field!" ned martin taught me as much vocabulary in those days as stan lee (but not alliteration). Both were more meaningful to kids in new england than any text books.

you bet!!!