Register now to remove this ad

Page 124 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 1891

Thread: Yankees 2021 Season Thread

Nothing surprises me about Boone anymore. He’s made some bone headed blunders. Yesterday was the first game where I thought his managing was really, really good. Like first game since he started.

He managed with urgency which was refreshing, but in any case the offense needs to get going for them to have a chance. Being shutout by 5+ERA Michael Wacha (and every subsequent reliever until the 9th) in the biggest game of the year is a failure by the offense, and while everyone in relief on our end held up it's too much to ask of them to be perfect every game.

I agree. I also think we need to keep Velasquez as a defensive replacement and just hand SS to Wade. Every time that guy is in the game, he impacts it. Be it as a punch runner, defender, hitter, whatever. He’s so disruptive.

FYI, we lost Voit for the season and it sounds like DJ is done as well. DJ should just get the surgery and come back for next year. He has had this "groin issue" since spring training which hurts him when he hits. I cannot imagine how he played through the entire season with this. I expect a big rebound from him next year. Voit, IMO, needs to be traded or non-tendered. I am telling you right now, he is dealing with a Pedroia knee. Meniscus surgery then bone bruise then aggravates running? He has some arthritis in there and best to cut bat rather than hope for great things and watch him get hurt
    Hal sucks

Happy Smiley Beni Day.

Yankees suck. Kids that are high school seniors only know the New York Yankees as being absolutely owned by the Red Sox for their entire lives. Entire. Lives.
    other names i have posted under: none

Strange end to a strange year. Started off with no fans, light baseballs, spider tack and pitchers having the advantage. Never saw the offensive bump other teams did, continued to pitch well. Team was managed horribly and coached terribly on the offensive side. Cannot complain about the defense after Torres moved off SS or the pitching coaching, just the managerial moves in game. If this rids us of Boone then it’s a successful year. Boone is the king of getting less out of his team than what they’re capable of and folding when the pressure is the greatest. If it wasn’t for the Twins, A’s, and Indians, we’d have been eliminated first chance we got since he got here. We own those three teams in post season historically and they gave us a bit of a boost until we faced off with the real clubs. I also think a possible change at the very top is needed. Yanks are built as an all or nothing offense then went out and got the most all or nothing player in the game to further shift us in that way. Time for a new voice, a new leader, and a new architect

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Yankees suck. Kids that are high school seniors only know the New York Yankees as being absolutely owned by the Red Sox for their entire lives. Entire. Lives.
    That's a pleasant thought.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Strange end to a strange year. Started off with no fans, light baseballs, spider tack and pitchers having the advantage. Never saw the offensive bump other teams did, continued to pitch well. Team was managed horribly and coached terribly on the offensive side. Cannot complain about the defense after Torres moved off SS or the pitching coaching, just the managerial moves in game. If this rids us of Boone then it’s a successful year. Boone is the king of getting less out of his team than what they’re capable of and folding when the pressure is the greatest. If it wasn’t for the Twins, A’s, and Indians, we’d have been eliminated first chance we got since he got here. We own those three teams in post season historically and they gave us a bit of a boost until we faced off with the real clubs. I also think a possible change at the very top is needed. Yanks are built as an all or nothing offense then went out and got the most all or nothing player in the game to further shift us in that way. Time for a new voice, a new leader, and a new architect
    I agree with this, but I also think you need to start thinking some of the players you thought so highly of in March just aren't as good as you thought.

You also wrote off a lot of Sox players that maybe didn't deserve your evaluations. I'm not saying nobody exceeded expectations, but plenty did not or did about what was expected. You may have also underestimated how much good managing affects the W-L record.

I'll be watching how you evaluate next year's teams, after some winter changes made to both teams.

Will you views on Eovaldi, Sale and others improve?

The word 'talent' is almost becoming irrelevant in baseball. The Yankees had lots of on-paper talent, but they did not perform.

Performance is all that really matters.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The word 'talent' is almost becoming irrelevant in baseball. The Yankees had lots of on-paper talent, but they did not perform.

Performance is all that really matters.
    When they keep under performing, when do we start looking at how we determine "on paper" value?

Maybe they were never that good to begin with.

Part of it is injuries, but injuries should be expected with the players that Yanks have on their roster.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    When they keep under performing, when do we start looking at how we determine "on paper" value?

Maybe they were never that good to begin with.

Part of it is injuries, but injuries should be expected with the players that Yanks have on their roster.
    There seems to be some mismanagement going on. A lot of Yankee fans think so. They point to a guy like Torres who looked like a star in the making and now looks like a mediocrity.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

There seems to be some mismanagement going on. A lot of Yankee fans think so. They point to a guy like Torres who looked like a star in the making and now looks like a mediocrity.
    I agree on mismanagement and think Cashman and Boone are not worthy of returning.

They played Torres out of position.

Cashman built a team full of players made of glass, and while they may look "good on paper," we should expect most won't play near a full season. A few, like Stanton, played a lot, and one could actually call that "lucky."

Unless they change their philosophy, they need a lot of luck to reach "on paper" value.

Can they count on Cashman to change?

The Yankees have a run differential of +41 (for a Pythagorean record of 85-76).

They're not some juggernaut being held back by their manager.
    exactly. it's just simply easier for the yankees fans to blame boone then to have to realize they really just have a slightly better then .500 team. reality sucks. so they avoid it. FIRE BOONE!!!!
    other names i have posted under: none

The mirage is the players on IL.

The Yanks look at their "healthy roster" and drool all over the place, and I can't say that I blame them, but when they lead the league in IL days year-after-year, it's not a fluke, and it should be part of evaluating a team's "on paper" talent level.

One last point on injuries: while the Sox may have gotten "lucky" on injuries, the Rays did not. They had over a dozen players on the 60 day IL, including Tyler Glasnow, Yonny Chirinos (all year), Jalen Beeks (all year) and their closer, Nick Anderson (6 IP, this year) plus many others...