Register now to remove this ad

Page 89 of 94 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1398

Thread: Yankees 2021 Season Thread

Winning is fun, but we'll see how long the backups can keep this up. Saw a stat today that the Yankees have used 12 different outfielders so far this season:

Aaron Judge
    Aaron Hicks
    Brett Gardner
    Clint Frazier
    Miguel Andujar
    Ryan Lamarre
    Tyler Wade
    Hoy Jun Park
    Estevan Florial
    Trey Amburgey
    Greg Allen
    Tim Locastro

And yet Stanton isn't one of them. They'd bring in their 12th OFer before putting Stanton in the field. That's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Winning is fun, but we'll see how long the backups can keep this up. Saw a stat today that the Yankees have used 12 different outfielders so far this season:

Aaron Judge
    Aaron Hicks
    Brett Gardner
    Clint Frazier
    Miguel Andujar
    Ryan Lamarre
    Tyler Wade
    Hoy Jun Park
    Estevan Florial
    Trey Amburgey
    Greg Allen
    Tim Locastro

And yet Stanton isn't one of them. They'd bring in their 12th OFer before putting Stanton in the field. That's ridiculous.
    They're just protecting their investment... wouldn't want their DH signed through 2028 to pull an eyelash reaching for a catch or making a long toss.

It would be a weird twist if having the roster temporarily decimated by COVID ends up as a plus for the Yankees.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

The Yanks are having a lot of bad luck this season. Almost as if there is some sort of a curse on them . " The Curse of the Ottavino."
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    The Yanks are having a lot of bad luck this season. Almost as if there is some sort of a curse on them . " The Curse of the Ottavino."
    Or the "Curse of James Kaprielian." Then again, perhaps it should be called the "Curse of Sonny Gray"?

It’d really be great if the bad things could go away … especially bad things from, like, three years ago. New York Yankees fans are already dealing with enough in the present day. But former top prospect James Kaprielian isn’t going to let that happen. He’s now starring for the Oakland Athletics in their starting rotation and helping them fight for an AL West crown (they’re only three games back of the Houston Astros).

That Sonny Gray trade back in 2017 really won’t go away, will it? Kaprielian, among others, was included in that deal, which featured Gray falling flat on his face in the Bronx. The Yankees then traded him to the Cincinnati Reds before the 2019 season … and he started pitching like his former Cy Young self again. Awesome.

That trade really hurt at the time because the Bombers desperately needed high-end starting pitching to take that next step. And it hurts considerably now because … the Yankees need all the pitching help they can get and Kaprielian owns a 2.65 ERA and 1.12 WHIP across 12 starts (62 innings) while striking out 69 batters.
    https://yanksgoyard.com/2021/07/21/y...ess-athletics/
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 07-21-2021 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    Or the "Curse of James Kaprielian." Then again, perhaps it should be called the "Curse of Sonny Gray"?
    Okay. I was looking for a rhyme with Bambino.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Okay. I was looking for a rhyme with Bambino.
    I missed the rhyme. LOL.

This is one of the guys that went from the Yankees to Cardinals in the Luke Voit trade:
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...allegi01.shtml

I thought the Yankees easily won the Luke Voit trade, but I totally missed just how good Gallegos has been.

Gallegos, S.Gray, Kaprielian, Ottavino, and Whitlock (Rule 5)--5 quality arms that are no longer with the Yankees courtesy of Brian Cashman.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 07-21-2021 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    I missed the rhyme. LOL.

This is one of the guys that went from the Yankees to Cardinals in the Luke Voit trade:
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...allegi01.shtml

I thought the Yankees easily won the Luke Voit trade, but I totally missed just how good Gallegos has been.

Gallegos, S.Gray, Kaprielian, Ottavino, and Whitlock (Rule 5)--5 quality arms that are no longer with the Yankees courtesy of Brian Cashman.
    Gallegos - Wasn't even a notable prospect at the time he was with the Yankees. He had good stuff but no command. Who knows if he even develops if he stayed with the Yankees.
    Sonny Gray - Unfortunately some guys just can't pitch in NY. We've seen it with numerous pitchers regardless of who the manager or pitching coach is.
    Kaprelian - If Gray wasn't a headcase this could've been a good trade. Kaep looked done up until this season as he's never been healthy, and the other two prospects (Fowler and Mateo) are non-factors
    Ottavino - This was essentially the equivalent of letting a free agent walk. He looks good so far but let's see how he finishes the season, and if Boston makes the playoffs good luck with him on the mound
    Whitlock - This one hurts, but Boston took a flyer on a guy who was injured and nobody had seen pitch in awhile, and he's worked out. Would like this one back.

Good farm systems produce good prospects, and you can't always hang onto every one. Boston doesn't seem to lose out on a lot of prospects, but then again they haven't produced many good players over the past decade (at least on the pitching side).

And if you're dinging BC for trading good pitchers, then he should also get credit for trading for Green/Cessa, picking up Loaisiga/Luetge off the street, and signing Chapman/Britton/Cole. No GM has an unblemished track record.

I hope the Yanks are buyers at the deadline.

Trade your future! PLEASE!

https://www.mlb.com/news/2021-trade-...440864-mlb-1-B
    Sox 4 Ever

Ottavino - This was essentially the equivalent of letting a free agent walk. He looks good so far but let's see how he finishes the season, and if Boston makes the playoffs good luck with him on the mound

And if you're dinging BC for trading good pitchers, then he should also get credit for trading for Green/Cessa, picking up Loaisiga/Luetge off the street, and signing Chapman/Britton/Cole. No GM has an unblemished track record.
    I'm not sticking up for Ottavino (who said he could strike out Babe Ruth every time), but Chapman has to be the biggest postseason choke artist of this century. He gave up game-losing homers that eliminated the Yanks the past two years. He did get the win in Game Seven of the '16 World Series for the Cubs, but only after serving up the 3-run HR to Davis for his third blown save of that postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I'm not sticking up for Ottavino (who said he could strike out Babe Ruth every time), but Chapman has to be the biggest postseason choke artist of this century. He gave up game-losing homers that eliminated the Yanks the past two years. He did get the win in Game Seven of the '16 World Series for the Cubs, but only after serving up the 3-run HR to Davis for his third blown save of that postseason.
    Absolutely correct. bkzwhitestrican is a good contributor here for a Yankee fan (LOL) but he's papering over some stuff with that little analysis.

And Sonny Gray claimed the Yankees made him change his pitch mix, obviously not to good effect. It didn't sound like he was whining about it, it sounded like a credible explanation for his issues there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Absolutely correct. bkzwhitestrican is a good contributor here for a Yankee fan (LOL) but he's papering over some stuff with that little analysis.
    And Sonny Gray claimed the Yankees made him change his pitch mix, obviously not to good effect. It didn't sound like he was whining about it, it sounded like a credible explanation for his issues there.
    I don't blame Chapman for that last one since I still think Altuve had a buzzer under his shirt, but that's just my opinion 😆

As for Gray, he was just making excuses. They tried multiple approaches with him to see what worked, and it turns out nothing did. Does pitch mix make a guy constantly hang sliders, or miss his location by a foot? He was just another Javier Vazquez.

I don't blame Chapman for that last one since I still think Altuve had a buzzer under his shirt, but that's just my opinion ��
    The last one was against the Rays last year.

The last one was against the Rays last year.
    Did that actually happen? I think I've intentionally forgotten everything from 2020.