Register now to remove this ad

Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Beni traded to Royals

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    What I don't understand is why did Cora bring this up at all. It seems to serve no useful purpose. Beni is no longer a Red Sox. Cui bono from raising this topic?
    Apparently Cora was asked by Massarotti what happened to Beni between 2018 and 2019, that was what prompted this answer. I don't think he was bad-mouthing Beni, just giving his take on the weight gain.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Apparently Cora was asked by Massarotti what happened to Beni between 2018 and 2019, that was what prompted this answer. I don't think he was bad-mouthing Beni, just giving his take on the weight gain.
    I think it was unnecessary. It raises the question that the Sox dumped Beni because he was recalcitrant. If I were Beni I wouldn't be too happy with gratuitous criticism from my former manager.
    It not as if the Red Sox have never trashed former players or managers, just ask Tito Francona

I think it was unnecessary. It raises the question that the Sox dumped Beni because he was recalcitrant. If I were Beni I wouldn't be too happy with gratuitous criticism from my former manager.
    It not as if the Red Sox have never trashed former players or managers, just ask Tito Francona
    Agreed, but I doubt Cora thought he was trashing Beni.

I can see how Beni will think he was.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Agreed, but I doubt Cora thought he was trashing Beni.

I can see how Beni will think he was.
    I have been watching interviews of baseball players and managers for a very long long time. Usually these interviews are exceptionally anodyne when it comes to comments about other players or managers. This interview was not. That was note worthy. I would hope Cora regrets going down this road with respect to comments about a former player of his. I would have no problem if Beni were still a Red Sox. Such criticism of current player is fair because the player would have an opportunity to discuss it with his manager but criticizing a former player crosses a line in my book.

I have been watching interviews of baseball players and managers for a very long long time. Usually these interviews are exceptionally anodyne when it comes to comments about other players or managers. This interview was not. That was note worthy. I would hope Cora regrets going down this road with respect to comments about a former player of his. I would have no problem if Beni were still a Red Sox. Such criticism of current player is fair because the player would have an opportunity to discuss it with his manager but criticizing a former player crosses a line in my book.
    I totally agree.

It's hard to fault a player for trying to improve his build and get in "better shape."

There are different kinds of "better shape," and maybe Beni went down the wrong road. Maybe he didn't. Let's see what he does with KC. His sample size, post build up, was rather short.

I agree on Cora going too far. I was just saying maybe he did not intend it to be critical, but just pointing out how good intentions don't always pay off.

I wonder if he makes a follow up statement that maybe mentions something like I just said.

I totally agree.

It's hard to fault a player for trying to improve his build and get in "better shape."

There are different kinds of "better shape," and maybe Beni went down the wrong road. Maybe he didn't. Let's see what he does with KC. His sample size, post build up, was rather short.

I agree on Cora going too far. I was just saying maybe he did not intend it to be critical, but just pointing out how good intentions don't always pay off.

I wonder if he makes a follow up statement that maybe mentions something like I just said.
    He may but I suspect they will handle it between themselves. Going public only keeps the story alive. Massorati is a pot stirrer.. He is only interested in controversy. I used b to listen to their show Felger and Massorati on the radio but it got tiresome. They are only interested in generating more heat than light.

He may but I suspect they will handle it between themselves. Going public only keeps the story alive. Massorati is a pot stirrer.. He is only interested in controversy. I used b to listen to their show Felger and Massorati on the radio but it got tiresome. They are only interested in generating more heat than light.
    "Generating more heat than light" - I've never heard this before, but it's a good one.

I have zero problem with what Cora said.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I have zero problem with what Cora said.
    Yesterday, he spoke about Perez as "he is what he is......he just needs to be himself....not trying to do too much.....just go out and gives us a chance to win" or something to the effect.

He's candid about his players. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yesterday, he spoke about Perez as "he is what he is......he just needs to be himself....not trying to do too much.....just go out and gives us a chance to win" or something to the effect.

Within limits, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Within limits, of course.
    I don't think he's gone over the limit yet. I think he's so personable that he knows what each person's limit is. I also bet that he had that specific conversation with Beni back in 2019 about bulking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

True, and most players respond well to honesty and pointed constructive criticism, although criticism should be in private.

Some people,players included, do not respond well to any criticism, even constructive or veiled and private. A good manager knows what players can take and can't take.

Some fans, posters or media members might take what he said about Perez and being too critical, but I trust Cora knows what he's doing. He did not throw him or Beni under any bus. He was being honest and forthcoming. I hope Perez takes his comments to heart and remains a pretty good 5th starter.

True, and most players respond well to honesty and pointed constructive criticism, although criticism should be in private.

Some people,players included, do not respond well to any criticism, even constructive or veiled and private. A good manager knows what players can take and can't take.

Some fans, posters or media members might take what he said about Perez and being too critical, but I trust Cora knows what he's doing. He did not throw him or Beni under any bus. He was being honest and forthcoming. I hope Perez takes his comments to heart and remains a pretty good 5th starter.
    How could you possibly say that about us -- the fans and posters who tell everyone we're smarter than the media (and do it on anti-social media) -- on the internet, no less! Too much/under the bus; I want it, I want it, I can't... have it!

As of 4/8:

Franchy - 833 OPS, 4 Hits, 2 XBH, 0 BB, 5 K

Beni - 451 OPS, 4 hits, 0 XBH, 2 BB, 5 K (nearly 2x as many PA as Franchy)

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    As of 4/8:

Franchy - 833 OPS, 4 Hits, 2 XBH, 0 BB, 5 K

Beni - 451 OPS, 4 hits, 0 XBH, 2 BB, 5 K (nearly 2x as many PA as Franchy)
    Even though he's no longer with us, I still hope Beni can find his way back. I'm pulling for him, as I am for JBJ.

Not so much for Mookie.