Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox Sign Marwin Gonzalez

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Everyone of these deals Bloom has made is because of the inept stupidity of DD. Man if had never been hired we likely would have become the Yankees of the 20's and 30's. I'm so excited right now for the next generation of Red Sox fans.
    Well, if the Sox still had a minor league system and did not have nearly $250mill tied up in MLB players with aging contracts, maybe Mookie is still here...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    These are short term bridge signings to help us look near respectable as we punt the major decisions to next winter.

Don't read too much into minor deals.
    We used the $3 mil from the Beni deal to pick up another leftfielder and backup for Dalbec at 1st base. It is a bridge deal but makes sense to me.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    We used the $3 mil from the Beni deal to pick up another leftfielder and backup for Dalbec at 1st base. It is a bridge deal but makes sense to me.
    If we needed all that, I would have preferred Brad Miller, who is a better hitter (OPS+ of 112 since 2018 as opposed to Marwin's 93), and plays the same positions the Sox might need (1b, 2B, corner OF). It's hard to compare defensive abilities of the two, since neither really has huge samples at any one position recently.

Oh, and Miller is not a cheater (as far as I know)...

Jeezus, what a depressing thread this is.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Well, if the Sox still had a minor league system and did not have nearly $250mill tied up in MLB players with aging contracts, maybe Mookie is still here...
    You'll be saying that till your dying day, won't you?

The timeline sure suggests they signed the extensions with Sale and Bogey AFTER the failed negotiations with Betts.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    You'll be saying that till your dying day, won't you?

The timeline sure suggests they signed the extensions with Sale and Bogey AFTER the failed negotiations with Betts.
    So that means anyone complaining about trading away Betts is 100% incorrect and it was the right move?

So that means anyone complaining about trading away Betts is 100% incorrect and it was the right move?
    No, it just means it wasn't because of DD bloating the payroll.

Deity
    No, it just means it wasn't because of DD bloating the payroll.
    So you don't think bloating the payroll impacts the ability to sign other players?

Mookie's demands were outrageous, but other teams dedicated amounts very close to other players. Anaheim committed more money to Trout. Philly committed a similar amount to Harper. And yet both had lower payrolls than the Sox...

I'm going to drink a six pack tonight, put Willie Nelson on and re-read this thread.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Anyway, does the signing of Marwin mean that Chavis is 100% going to WOO?
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

So you don't think bloating the payroll impacts the ability to sign other players?

Mookie's demands were outrageous, but other teams dedicated amounts very close to other players. Anaheim committed more money to Trout. Philly committed a similar amount to Harper. And yet both had lower payrolls than the Sox...
    The point I'm trying to make is that when they were talking to Mookie, they still hadn't signed the extensions with Sale and Bogey, so they had much more room.

We're just going to have to face the facts that they could have kept Mookie if they were willing to meet his price, but they chose not to.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Anyway, does the signing of Marwin mean that Chavis is 100% going to WOO?
    As of right now, there is room for both. Soxprospects.com has both on the Red Sox roster, but then they also list 27 players (including Sawamura). So someone, possibly Chavis, is going somewhere. But then it could also be Austin Brice, as they list 9 relief pitchers. Or Taylor, who has an option but is also one of only 2 LHP in the pen.

It does probably mean Mitch Moreland is not coming back...

Deity
    The point I'm trying to make is that when they were talking to Mookie, they still hadn't signed the extensions with Sale and Bogey, so they had much more room.

We're just going to have to face the facts that they could have kept Mookie if they were willing to meet his price, but they chose not to.
    They did have more room, but both that does not mean the existing deals to Price and Eovaldi had no impact...

Deity
    I know right - I was trying to lighten the mood but in fact I brought up the name of the dark man from the past.

Deity

That is what I am talking about notin and you know that I am serious.