Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what's left.... if any moves at all?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Astros, Phillies and Red Sox.

I do think the Sox are the least likely of the three...
    Dark horse: Seattle Mariners, who days ago signed another Scott Boras client in James Paxton.

Seattle reportedly was in the market for a left hand-hitting outfielder to complement Kyle Lewis and Mitch Haniger. The M’s have a projected 2021 payroll under $100 million. FWIW the Mariners last year had the highest percentage of African-Americans of any team.

The drawback is that the Mariners, teeming with highly regarded young outfielders, would want Jackie Bradley Jr. on a short-term contract.

FWIW in 2014 Bradley and his wife vacationed in Seattle:

http://www.playerwives.com/mlb/bosto...-erin-bradley/
    Last edited by harmony; 02-16-2021 at 10:54 AM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Dark horse: Seattle Mariners, who days ago signed another Scott Boras client in James Paxton.

Seattle reportedly was in the market for a left hand-hitting outfielder and still has a projected 2021 payroll under $100 million. FWIW the Mariners last year had the highest percentage of African-Americans of any team.

The drawback is that the Mariners, teeming with highly regarded young outfielders, would want Jackie Bradley Jr. on a short-term contract.

Well, I did not know he vacationed there 7 years ago!! That changes everything!

The problem with the Mariners is they have a talented young CF in Kyle Lewis. And Bradley is not an "outfielder." He is a "centerfielder". Playing him in either corner is misusing him...

After Sawamura at $3M/2, I think we trade for a 2Bman or CF'er.

I doubt we add any more pitchers until the deadline, assuming we are in the race.

(I'd sure like to replace Brice with almost anyone, but I'm not sure that happens.)

Our opening day 13 man pitching staff (Sale on the 60-day IL):

ERod
    Eovaldi
    Richards
    Pivetta
    Perez

Ottavino
    Barnes
    DHern
    Brasier
    Sawamura
    Andriese (no options)
    Brice (no options)
    Whitlock (rule 5)

AAA: Houck, Taylor, Valdez, Mata, Seabold, Brewer, Bazardo

If we want Houck on the 26 man roster, we have to DFA Brice or trade someone.

Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    After Sawamura at $3M/2, I think we trade for a 2Bman or CF'er.

I doubt we add any more pitchers until the deadline, assuming we are in the race.

(I'd sure like to replace Brice with almost anyone, but I'm not sure that happens.)

Our opening day 13 man pitching staff (Sale on the 60-day IL):

ERod
    Eovaldi
    Richards
    Pivetta
    Perez

Ottavino
    Barnes
    DHern
    Brasier
    Sawamura
    Andriese (no options)
    Brice (no options)
    Whitlock (rule 5)

AAA: Houck, Taylor, Valdez, Mata, Seabold, Brewer, Bazardo

If we want Houck on the 26 man roster, we have to DFA Brice or trade someone.

Trade what?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox made no more additions. I will be disappointed, but I won't be surprised...

Trade what?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox made no more additions. I will be disappointed, but I won't be surprised...
    I doubt it takes much to get Adam Frazier.

I'd give Chavis, but who knows what his value is to other GMs. BTV says he's worth more than Frazier. I doubt it.

I might give Chavis and some low prospect.
    Sox 4 Ever

I'd give Chavis, but who knows what his value is to other GMs. BTV says he's worth more than Frazier. I doubt it.

Not sure we can get much out of Chavis until he gets the K rate down on the high fastball

Seattle reportedly was in the market for a left hand-hitting outfielder to complement Kyle Lewis and Mitch Haniger. The M’s have a projected 2021 payroll under $100 million. FWIW the Mariners last year had the highest percentage of African-Americans of any team.

I'd move to Seattle just to see Erin at the ballpark... Damn

Deity

Well, the GM of the Pirates did draft Chavis in the first round.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Not sure we can get much out of Chavis until he gets the K rate down on the high fastball
    moon's proposed deal is a salary dump for the Pirates, who could actually use Chavis at 1B where they only seem to have LHH Colin Moran, who is not exactly a contact machine himself (26% K rate).

And Pitt GM Ben Cherington apparently liked Chavis enough at one point to take him in the first round...

moon's proposed deal is a salary dump for the Pirates, who could actually use Chavis at 1B where they only seem to have LHH Colin Moran, who is not exactly a contact machine himself (26% K rate).

And Pitt GM Ben Cherington apparently liked Chavis enough at one point to take him in the first round...
    Well, we of all people should know that Ben Cherington's judgment is, at best, foggy.

I'm not opposed to a deal. I just think we can get more back for him in a year or so. I think he'll come around offensively.

Legend
    Well, I did not know he vacationed there 7 years ago!! That changes everything!

The problem with the Mariners is they have a talented young CF in Kyle Lewis. And Bradley is not an "outfielder." He is a "centerfielder". Playing him in either corner is misusing him...
    Kyle Lewis was projected as a corner outfielder before impressing in center field last year. Lewis could move off center field ala Alex Verdugo and Andrew Benintendi.
    Last edited by harmony; 02-16-2021 at 11:05 AM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Well, we of all people should know that Ben Cherington's judgment is, at best, foggy.

I'm not opposed to a deal. I just think we can get more back for him in a year or so. I think he'll come around offensively.
    Whether you like his judgement or not, he is the guy making the calls in Pittsburgh...

Deity
    Kyle Lewis was projected as a corner outfielder before impressing in center field last year.
    You're only proving my point...

Back to the K rate: just wondering if you have stats for the average MLBer -- '20, maybe include '19 since it was an actual season? Reason I'm wondering is the reason I'm skeptical of the new Sox semi-regulars touted for the batting order. And also why a guy like LaStella (I think it was you who cited his above-avg contact) would have literally helped more to change the swing-and-miss culture contagious in Boston.

Why did JBJr and Boras think Jackie would be getting good offers on multi-year contracts at the $10MM AAV range? Especially in a pre CBA year with all kinds of other revenue (fans in the stands) unknowns ? This was a bad time to reach FA. Despite adding another year's age, JBJr may be best served with a one year + player option deal , and try again in 2022.