Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seattle owner offends indiscriminately

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    That's all there is too it, and I'd have thought those who think our culture has become too namby pamby would have seen this for what it is.

The guy exposed the owners to big trouble, right before negotiations open. The union has been arguing all along that owners intentionally hold back star prospects to gain another year of service. The owners have denied this over and over. They can't do that anymore, because Mathers exposed them all.

I'm glad he said what he said. He spoke the truth, and the truth, these days can be very toxic.

Telling the truth is a fireable offense, in these times. We shouldn't be surprised or shocked.
    Sadly, telling the truth has always been a fireable offense in corporate America

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    So you aren't the biggest Red Sox fan then?
    Being a Red Sox fan is not about loving their announcers.

I loved Jerry as a player. What was not to love?

He's a giggling clown as a commentator, and I never saw what others have seen. He was okay, for a while, but I grew tired of the same antics.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Sadly, telling the truth has always been a fireable offense in corporate America
    Yes, and why is it shocking or surprising?

He broke the unwritten code on MLG owners.He pays the price.
    Sox 4 Ever

Yes, and why is it shocking or surprising?

He broke the unwritten code on MLG owners.He pays the price.
    I never said it was surprising. Any piece of bad PR and you get the axe

Being a Red Sox fan is not about loving their announcers.

I loved Jerry as a player. What was not to love?

He's a giggling clown as a commentator, and I never saw what others have seen. He was okay, for a while, but I grew tired of the same antics.
    As someone who celebrates "here comes the pizza" annually, this hurts...
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

As someone who celebrates "here comes the pizza" annually, this hurts...
    I'm with moon, for the most part

I can see how fans like Remy as an announcer.

I got tired of the same old-same old.

He makes a few insightful comments, but not as much as I like and it seems to be rehashing the same insights over and over- not much new.

It's all just fun and games and "pizza."
    Sox 4 Ever

It's all just fun and games and "pizza."
    If only.

I just find his accent comforting. It's like a crocus popping up through the snow in March.

I don't think he's exceptionally knowledgeable, but he's much better than a lot of the guys that have color commentator gigs.

If only.

I just find his accent comforting. It's like a crocus popping up through the snow in March.

I don't think he's exceptionally knowledgeable, but he's much better than a lot of the guys that have color commentator gigs.
    I can agree with that. Weird how so many are just plain bad.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    "I'm tired of paying his interpreter" was not a real smart way to address the language issue LOL
    I think he was fired for the service time statements.
    Sox 4 Ever

I can agree with that. Weird how so many are just plain bad.
    There's a reason guys like Vin Scully are once in a lifetime voices.

I think he was fired for the service time statements.
    I don't think so (though they didn't help). From Forbes:

Mather had been accused of inappropriate workplace conduct prior to this latest controversy. According to the Seattle Times, when Mather was a Mariners executive vice president in 2009 and 2010, Seattle attorney Robin Phillips brought complaints against Mather on behalf of two women who worked as executive assistants for the team. The Seattle Times reported that the cases were settled out of court.

Phillips also represents Lorena Martin, a former Mariners high performance director who filed a wrongful-termination lawsuit in 2018. Martin alleged she made complaints to Mather, minority owner Buck Ferguson and Stanton about a hostile work environment, but she was instead terminated from her position. The case was ultimately handled by an arbitrator, and the Seattle Times reported Monday that the case “was resolved,” according to Phillips. Martin declined comment.

If only.

Don't exile me for saying this, but I've long felt that the YES booth in one of the best in the business. There was a time when I would watch Sox-Yanks games on YES. Didn't matter who did play-by-play, Kay, Singleton or Ruocco. They always had great control of the game. O'Neill, Cone, and Flaherty were also solid presences in the booth. I always felt like I learned so much from listening to them. They seemed very impartial. Much more impartial than A-Rod in the SNB booth. Can't listen to him to Sox-Yankee games anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Don't exile me for saying this, but I've long felt that the YES booth in one of the best in the business. There was a time when I would watch Sox-Yanks games on YES. Didn't matter who did play-by-play, Kay, Singleton or Ruocco. They always had great control of the game. O'Neill, Cone, and Flaherty were also solid presences in the booth. I always felt like I learned so much from listening to them. They seemed very impartial. Much more impartial than A-Rod in the SNB booth. Can't listen to him to Sox-Yankee games anymore.
    I can't disagree with you because I haven't watched a YES broadcast in the past 18 years.

I guess Im a bit surprised at the route that my Remy comments took. My intent was that with all that we learned about how he handled not just his murder sons upbringing, but his other 2 worthless spawn children, I was & am surprised that he is still in the booth. Yet if a guy says a players English is bad among other stupid comments, he's a racist that needs to go.
    Last edited by Donnie Sadler was short; 02-23-2021 at 03:38 PM. Reason: clarity