Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: Don't you have to get behind them?

  1. #1
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,701

    Don't you have to get behind them?

    Well there have been numerous changes for sure but all seem to be positive moves hopefully leading to the same goal. Sounds to me like there have been numerous good character signings. That works for me. I'll get to know them I think. We all might be surprised.

  2. #2
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    39,836
    It's hard to know, for sure, how much we got better, and better than worst can still be pretty bad, but I like what we have, this year.

    I don't think we are a top contender, but I think we are good enough to make the last WC slot and have enough potential to put it all together and surprise people.

    2013-like surprise? Doubtful, but who knows?

    GO Sox!
    Sox 4 Ever

  3. #3
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    42,018
    Kiké is supposed to be a great guy to root for. We’ll see.
    Building? Back up!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's hard to know, for sure, how much we got better, and better than worst can still be pretty bad, but I like what we have, this year.

    I don't think we are a top contender, but I think we are good enough to make the last WC slot and have enough potential to put it all together and surprise people.

    2013-like surprise? Doubtful, but who knows?

    GO Sox!
    Question for you Moon...

    Keep in mind Xander and Devers are two of my favorites...and let's assume majority of players are good character guys just so that's not a determining factor.

    I get the sense Bloom is no nonsense type of a guy. That is he'll always do what's best for the organization.

    Can you see a scenario where our left side of infield simply is not good enough defensively and Bloom will agree with that assessment?

    If Dalbec can hit, I can like him just as well as Devers. My sense is Dalbe will always be a better defensive 3B than Devers. If Dalbec establishes himself offensively, should we trade Devers while his value is high? And also not get too depressed if Xander opts out after great offensive season? We can always find a defensive shortstop, no?

    We also agree that we can always find a 1B if Dalbec vacates.

    I'm looking forward to 2021 because there are millions of questions with this team. Time to sort things out.
    Last edited by Nick; 02-24-2021 at 09:07 PM.

  5. #5
    Personally, I'm rooting for E-Rod to truly have overcome coronavirus and continue his quest for a 20 win season.

  6. #6
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    39,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Question for you Moon...

    Keep in mind Xander and Devers are two of my favorites...and let's assume majority of players are good character guys just so that's not a determining factor.

    I get the sense Bloom is no nonsense type of a guy. That is he'll always do what's best for the organization.

    Can you see a scenario where our left side of infield simply is not good enough defensively and Bloom will agree with that assessment?

    If Dalbec can hit, I can like him just as well as Devers. My sense is Dalbe will always be a better defensive 3B than Devers. If Dalbec establishes himself offensively, should we trade Devers while his value is high? And also not get too depressed if Xander opts out after great offensive season? We can always find a defensive shortstop, no?

    We always agree that we can always find a 1B if Dalbec vacates.

    I'm looking forward to 2021 because there are millions of questions with this team. Time to sort things out.
    I'm a huge fan of defense, especially at SS, but Bogey is such a great hitter, I'm fine with him staying there.

    Devers is probably my favorite player, now that JBJ is gone. I'm always open to trading anyone, if the return is right, but Devers is about last on my trade list.

    I still think he has shown signs he can be a plus on defense, but if he is sketchy, this year, and Dalbec does well, I could see just flipping them, but I'm basing that on the belief that Dalbec is a plus defender at 3B. I don't know that, for sure.

    This season has a lot if intrigue.
    Sox 4 Ever

  7. #7
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    30,217
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Devers is probably my favorite player, now that JBJ is gone. I'm always open to trading anyone, if the return is right, but Devers is about last on my trade list.
    That's not great news for Devers LOL

    (Sorry man, I hope you don't mind me giving you a little heat about the 'favorite player' thing. It's all in jest.)
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

  8. #8
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    39,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    That's not great news for Devers LOL

    (Sorry man, I hope you don't mind me giving you a little heat about the 'favorite player' thing. It's all in jest.)
    JBJ did very well for us. It's not like I jinxed him.

    I'd love to have him back- just not at the money I felt he'd make.
    Sox 4 Ever

  9. #9
    Am I correct that Jackie Bradley Jr. and Jake Odorizzi are still unemployed? I have to wonder if they will take low money just to stay working...

  10. #10
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    30,217
    Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    Am I correct that Jackie Bradley Jr. and Jake Odorizzi are still unemployed? I have to wonder if they will take low money just to stay working...
    I think they'll both sign soon. Obviously not getting what they'd hoped, though.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

  11. #11
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    23,206
    Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    Am I correct that Jackie Bradley Jr. and Jake Odorizzi are still unemployed? I have to wonder if they will take low money just to stay working...
    As much as I would like to see the Sox add someone like Odorizzi, at what point does signing someone like him just make trading Price look like a bad move?

    Odorizzi might cost a $14mill AAV, but with the Sox already committing $15mill to Price, I have to wonder if simply holding on to Price (which then costs the Sox only $2 mill more) would have been the right move. Is Odorizzi going to be better than Price over the next couple seasons? If not, you're essentially paying the same thing for a lesser pitcher...

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think they'll both sign soon. Obviously not getting what they'd hoped, though.
    And the teams that sign them won't be getting the bargains they had hoped. The parties will probably meet somewhere in the middle.

    The demand for starting pitching certainly has not diminished.

  13. #13
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    39,836
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    As much as I would like to see the Sox add someone like Odorizzi, at what point does signing someone like him just make trading Price look like a bad move?

    Odorizzi might cost a $14mill AAV, but with the Sox already committing $15mill to Price, I have to wonder if simply holding on to Price (which then costs the Sox only $2 mill more) would have been the right move. Is Odorizzi going to be better than Price over the next couple seasons? If not, you're essentially paying the same thing for a lesser pitcher...
    Odorizzi might end up getting $10M AVV or less.

    One could view the $15M saved from Price as getting us Odorizzi and Sawamura, or Richards & Samamura, or Ottavino & EHern.

    I'd say it was worth it.
    Sox 4 Ever

  14. #14
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    30,217
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    And the teams that sign them won't be getting the bargains they had hoped.
    Or maybe they will. Some free agent signings do end up as bargains.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

  15. #15
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    30,217
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    As much as I would like to see the Sox add someone like Odorizzi, at what point does signing someone like him just make trading Price look like a bad move?

    Odorizzi might cost a $14mill AAV, but with the Sox already committing $15mill to Price, I have to wonder if simply holding on to Price (which then costs the Sox only $2 mill more) would have been the right move. Is Odorizzi going to be better than Price over the next couple seasons? If not, you're essentially paying the same thing for a lesser pitcher...
    Not much point bringing the Price trade into the equation. Trading Price didn't just save money, but enabled the tax reset, and may have increased what we got from the Dodgers, though that's just speculation.

    And Price is at least as much of a question mark as Odorizzi going forward.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •